Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Rear end jumping sideways over bumps


Recommended Posts

Just now, Truckboy said:

So do you think it’s best if I just buy belsteins and put them on instead of having dealership replace them with new ranchos? 

Is the dealership willing to replace the Rancho's?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Is the dealership willing to replace the Rancho's?

Not sure yet. Going to call them Monday. But like I said I did buy their protection plan for $4000 and it is suppose to cover it so they better. Not just that, I just bought the truck on Tuesday, it should be under their 1000 miles/30 days warranty still. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Truckboy said:

Not sure yet. Going to call them Monday. But like I said I did buy their protection plan for $4000 and it is suppose to cover it so they better. Not just that, I just bought the truck on Tuesday, it should be under their 1000 miles/30 days warranty still. 

Yea, that is a lot for an extended warranty, hope that they treat you well.

 

Post how the encounter goes, and good luck!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/11/2020 at 5:43 PM, JimCost2014 said:

Yea, that is a lot for an extended warranty, hope that they treat you well.

 

Post how the encounter goes, and good luck!

So dealership(Lincoln) said they couldn’t find anything wrong. Everything is in spec and no leak on the shocks. Service tec told me that’s just how the Z71 suspensions are. It’s probably just a characteristic of the Z71 shocks. I said okay, let me test drive another Z71 and see if it’ll have the same problem. So I test drove another similar truck with the service tec in with me and no issues at all. That was a clear reason/sign that there is clearly something wrong with my truck. It’s not the Z71 shocks. So at the end of all this, they pretty much said sorry we can’t fix it, nothing broken. Go to Chevy. 
 

I also called Chevy and spoke with a service consultant. Explained to him what I am experiencing and he said no, your truck should not be jumping to the side when going over bumps or potholes. So now I’m going to take it to Chevy and hope they can find the problem. 
 

Oh and they mentioned that it can because of my 22inch rims/tires that is causing it to jump. Is that true? 

Edited by Truckboy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Truckboy said:

So dealership(Lincoln) said they couldn’t find anything wrong. Everything is in spec and no leak on the shocks. Service tec told me that’s just how the Z71 suspensions are. It’s probably just a characteristic of the Z71 shocks. I said okay, let me test drive another Z71 and see if it’ll have the same problem. So I test drove another similar truck with the service tec in with me and no issues at all. That was a clear reason/sign that there is clearly something wrong with my truck. It’s not the Z71 shocks. So at the end of all this, they pretty much said sorry we can’t fix it, nothing broken. Go to Chevy. 
 

I also called Chevy and spoke with a service consultant. Explained to him what I am experiencing and he said no, your truck should not be jumping to the side when going over bumps or potholes. So now I’m going to take it to Chevy and hope they can find the problem. 
 

Oh and they mentioned that it can because of my 22inch rims/tires that is causing it to jump. Is that true? 

Do  not think so on the 22"s, have them on my 18 and were on my 16, both factory wheels, both trucks LTZ Z71 models. Both rode fine.

 

Some things I would check are tire pressures, did the previous owner do any suspension mods, like adding an extra leaf, air bags, spring helpers, and so on. Any of those would really stiffen up the rear of the truck, causing what you are experiencing. 

 

Sounds like you are not off to a good start with your extended warranty, can you still get a refund for it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Do  not think so on the 22"s, have them on my 18 and were on my 16, both factory wheels, both trucks LTZ Z71 models. Both rode fine.

 

Some things I would check are tire pressures, did the previous owner do any suspension mods, like adding an extra leaf, air bags, spring helpers, and so on. Any of those would really stiffen up the rear of the truck, causing what you are experiencing. 

 

Sounds like you are not off to a good start with your extended warranty, can you still get a refund for it?

Tire pressure was at 45 when I first brought it in. That was the first thing they tried. Lowered it to 33-35 and still have the issue. I mean it’s probably not as bad as it is on 45psi but still having the problem. As for the previous owner, I’m not too sure. Maybe that is something I should’ve asked before buying..

And at this point I might as well keep the extended warranty because for some reason I feel like I’m gonna have some transmission/engine problems real soon Because now I am noticing a “clunk” when decelerating in low gears and coming to a stop. 
 

I’m starting to regret this purchase. $32k with issues. I should’ve just gotten a tundra.. 

Edited by Truckboy
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, REDOO2000 said:

Get bilstein 5100. REALY helped my truck but its also tire pressure


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Should I even go get a second opinion from Chevy themselves or do you think it’ll just be a waste of time since there is no leak on the ranchos. Rear end is jumping and according to Chevy service consultant that is not normal and shouldn’t be happening. What the hell do I do at this point? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, REDOO2000 said:

Get bilstein 5100. REALY helped my truck but its also tire pressure


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also were you having the same issue as I am? Rear end jumping or swaying to the side when going over potholes and bumps? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also were you having the same issue as I am? Rear end jumping or swaying to the side when going over potholes and bumps? 

Yes
I wasn’t having problems with my winter rims and tires
Only the summer ones. I think it was a combination of shocks, air pressure to high and tires getting harder. NITTO Ridge Grapplers. I run 40 psi now. Only 15000 miles on tires but they suck in rain. Almost fishtailed into another car while driving on the highway


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, REDOO2000 said:


Yes
I wasn’t having problems with my winter rims and tires
Only the summer ones. I think it was a combination of shocks, air pressure to high and tires getting harder. NITTO Ridge Grapplers. I run 40 psi now. Only 15000 miles on tires but they suck in rain. Almost fishtailed into another car while driving on the highway


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah dealership lowered it to 35psi but it is still jumping. Did you ever get it resolved? If so, how? I’m taking it to Chevy tomorrow and hopefully they can do a better job than Lincoln, but if they can’t either then I would like to know what other things I can do to get it fixed. I would not want to be driving it like this during winter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.