Well my 2014 GMC Sierra (purchased new) with less than 30,000 miles showed a Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL - Engine Symbol Light) on dash last Wed - May 8th.

I called OnStar and received the report via e-mail below - Code P050D.  Truck ran fine.

Scheduled truck into the dealer for Fri morn May 10th.  Dealer kept truck until around noon the next Day to make certain code did not reappear on cold start.

I picked up my truck and no problems since the P050D.  Here is some of the repair receipt:

#1 - 3202: Engine Repair

Installed laptop and was unable to duplicate concern at this time.  Tech tested and test drove several times and was not able to duplicate.  Advised customer

to return if concern returns.  No repairs were made at this time.

$85.00 plus tax.  Is this it for diagnostics?  Seems to me like the tech cleared the code - drove the truck - no code - calls it good.

Drove truck yesterday on a 60 mile 90 percent highway trip and mileage on dash showed 19.2.

Here are the results of your recent On-Demand Diagnostic request on your 2014 GMC Sierra.

Module

Diagnostic Code

Diagnostic Information

Recommended Action

VIU - OnStar System

None

No Error Code Found

None

TCM - Transmission System

None

No Error Code Found

None

SDM - Airbag System

None

No Error Code Found

None

ABS - Braking and Stability System

None

No Error Code Found

None

ECM - Engine System

P050D

IGNORE UNKNOWN DTC

No action needed

Maintenance Information

• Odometer: 29778 Miles

• Remaining Oil Life: 57%

If you require Roadside Assistance, please contact (866) 415-5838.

Please bring this email with you when you go for service.

Please see your dealer for service.

You should probably invest in a cheap code reader. You could have saved yourself $85 and your truck being gone for a day. 

P050d is a rough idle. Usually an air leak, maybe plugs or coils. But definitely something that could be diagnosed and remedied at home

P050D, rough idle on cold start.. Scan tool misfire data will show the cylinders that are misfiring.. It will only occur during a cold start.. Your not going to see anything on a test drive..

Fuel injectors are the most common failure.. Coolant leaking into a cylinder from a bad cylinder head casting is possible but not common. 

Update - Truck showed same code again this morning.  Went to dealer this afternoon.

Dealer is replacing ALL fuel injectors.

Service person said it will be covered under my power-train warranty.  We will see.

Purchased truck new in August, 2014. 

9 hours ago, Jacoby said:

You should probably invest in a cheap code reader. You could have saved yourself $85 and your truck being gone for a day. 

P050d is a rough idle. Usually an air leak, maybe plugs or coils. But definitely something that could be diagnosed and remedied at home

I plan to buy a code reader.  Any suggestions?

4 minutes ago, 14GMCZ71 said:

Just about any OBD II code reader will work.  Just look on Amazon or go to your local auto parts store and you can find em all day. 

Update - Truck showed same code again this morning.  Went to dealer this afternoon.

Dealer is replacing ALL fuel injectors.

Service person said it will be covered under my power-train warranty.  We will see.

Purchased truck new in August, 2014. 
Please get them to put that in writing or at least hurry up and get it in before they change their mind. My 2016 6.2 L got the same code...2 injectors causing the issue and dealer( plus others on this forum) showed me the warranty details specifically excluding the injectors from powertrain warranty. Got GM to cover part of the cost for 4 injectors since I was at 37,000 miles but the fight was not easy and no one would cover it under powertrain warranty. I had them replace all 8 due to a new injector part number that I hoped was updated since mine had been built. I know the powertrain warranty changed from 100k miles (14-15) to 60k miles (16 plus models). Was this another change of powertrain covering injectors (in 14-15 models) versus not covering injectors (in 16+)? Best of Luck.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

The dealer service person did not provide specifics about any coverage other than to say GM is covering this under my warranty.

I asked if this was under the power-train warranty and she just said it is being covered.

My truck has just shy of 30,000 miles and was purchased in August, 2014 - nearly 5 years ago.

Thanks for the info/advice.  Will post here what happens.  My truck was manufactured in June, 2014.

Edited by 14GMCZ71
Spelling

16 hours ago, 14GMCZ71 said:

Yeah, don't buy one.  Get a scan tool with bi-directional communications that was made for your truck.  GMs MDI2 with GDS software and a laptop will allow you to see all the codes and runs graphs and diagnostics and tests and resets, etc. on your truck.