Paint falling off a brand new truck

SlowGMC

Question

I went out to get some food and parked my truck. As I was walking away I noticed something weird going on with my front grill. I inspect closer and there is paint missing! No damage in the area or anything  just paint gone! This a 2018 I just bought less than 3 months ago! Will GM cover this?

20190514_140201.jpg

I would call your dealer and explain it. From the mark it might have been bug splatter or bird crap but that usually isn't that tough to make paint peel off. Do you take your truck through "touchless" car washes? Maybe it was pressure washed off.

• Thanks 1

I can't imagine your place of purchase denying a free repair. I wonder if this could be an aftermarket dress-up done by the dealer?  Does your particular trim level typically come with a painted grill surround?

• Thanks 1

They had damn well better cover it! If not, I'd be getting LOUD in that dealership ...

TOTALLY UNACCEPTABLE on a 1 model year old vehicle!!! Don't care HOW it's washed ... 

• Thanks 1

And the verdict is......they covered it, I was really nervous for some reason too. Had they denied it I would of raised hell. I'll be dropping  it off Thursday for repair. I didnt get to talk to the guy who approved the claim though. Although being as there was no impact damage and the paint is literally falling off in the wind. I was sure I had a claim. 

I had to take it to Chevrolet dealership to have them check it out because my GMC dealership  where I purchased didnt have a body shop so that really didn't sit well with me but it all worked out.

Edited by SlowGMC

54 minutes ago, Donstar said:

I can't imagine your place of purchase denying a free repair. I wonder if this could be an aftermarket dress-up done by the dealer?  Does your particular trim level typically come with a painted grill surround?

Yes it does. 

Glad to hear it.

So many people make excuses for not having them fix things like this under warranty. Pisses me off, especially after hearing what these things cost today!!! Customers need to hold these manufacturer's feet to the fire when they try to cut corners to save a buck at every turn. I see this crap day in and day out. If they frigged it up, THEY need to fix it!!

Glad they didn't try to weasel out of it, in this case. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jsdirt said:

Glad to hear it.

So many people make excuses for not having them fix things like this under warranty. Pisses me off, especially after hearing what these things cost today!!! Customers need to hold these manufacturer's feet to the fire when they try to cut corners to save a buck at every turn. I see this crap day in and day out. If they frigged it up, THEY need to fix it!!

Glad they didn't try to weasel out of it, in this case. 

Me too! I was actually concerned they would deny it. Had thoughts in my head if what I was going to end up paying for the repair. 

I was at a GM dealership body shop a few weeks ago discussing a separate issue on my new 2018 Silverado (body panel fits) and the manager of the body shop told me they had been having a lot of issues on new GMC and Chevy trucks with the paint coming off in certain areas. According to him, it was mostly on the lower front part of the bed. 

That's probably why they didn't baulk much about fixing it for you; it's likely not an uncommon or rare issue. 

Good luck!

GM has taken care of me over the years.  They replaced the grille on my 2008 Yukon when it was 1 year old and replaced a delaminating steering wheel on my 2011 Denali.  They are now replacing a door trim part that is failing on my 2017 Denali.  All of these occurred without argument.