Do I not understand traction control?

The other day I was merging onto an interstate. I wanted to place myself between a semi and the car behind him. So I kicked it in the a$$ to get up to speed. This puppy just about went sideways on me!  Granted the road was damp, but not wet. I thought I was gonna roll it! Certainly got my attention. Thing I don't understand is why didn't the traction control kick in? My last truck a 2009 Dodge Laramie 1500 2wd, would have been jumping all over me before I ever got to that point. I am beginning to question my purchase of this thing. Or is my traction control defective? I was in 2 wheel high.

Ed

• Like 1

The other day I was merging onto an interstate. I wanted to place myself between a semi and the car behind him. So I kicked it in the a$$ to get up to speed. This puppy just about went sideways on me!  Granted the road was damp, but not wet. I thought I was gonna roll it! Certainly got my attention. Thing I don't understand is why didn't the traction control kick in? My last truck a 2009 Dodge Laramie 1500 2wd, would have been jumping all over me before I ever got to that point. I am beginning to question my purchase of this thing. Or is my traction control defective? I was in 2 wheel high.

Ed
Mine is the same way. Unless it's raining.....then it's on 100% of the time.
  • Like 1

Temp is your issue. There is a table for traction control based on ect. Seems silly to me but there is. I set mine to 400* and torque to 1000. Still comes on but incandescent rool the tires a few times first.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Temp is your issue. There is a table for traction control based on ect. Seems silly to me but there is. I set mine to 400* and torque to 1000. Still comes on but incandescent rool the tires a few times first.

Nice!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Ok so the stock is -40 so it is the 2nd picture that is the issue. As GB says too many variables in the computer.
But you can also set throttle leave it kicks in. In may play with that and have is more active at higher speeds. 5e38f91725c1d615a0fa354967474934.jpgc263e08e096c920bc72d2b9154f5ce3b.jpg

Ok so the stock is -40 so it is the 2nd picture that is the issue. As GB says too many variables in the computer.
But you can also set throttle leave it kicks in. In may play with that and have is more active at higher speeds. 5e38f91725c1d615a0fa354967474934.jpgc263e08e096c920bc72d2b9154f5ce3b.jpg

Let us know how changing the throttle works out man. Id like to eventually make this truck act like the DBW systems and not be as throttle sensitive in the rain.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Trans temp min 104F. Thanks 1Slow1500. Been looking for that number. 

9 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Am I missing something, the 2nd pictures is the TCC (torque converter clutch) tables, what does that have to do with traction control?

Goes to torque multiplication. 

8 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

My torque converter is disabled in all gears but overdrive, guess I never have these type of problems. Was one a first things I did.

You have yours locked UP? How did you do that in slip tables are just disable. I ask because this is IMO the most talked about issue with our trucks and more so the AFM/DOD system. As GB and I have tacked about the slip or power and the GM trans issues.

The opposite. The stock calibrations want the torque converter locked in every gear almost all the time. I set it to disable the converter for all gears but over drive. It's a popular thing to do and many people in the corvette and camaro community do this as well. Should help with converter life too, though that can be driver dependent.

The opposite. The stock calibrations want the torque converter locked in every gear almost all the time. I set it to disable the converter for all gears but over drive. It's a popular thing to do and many people in the corvette and camaro community do this as well. Should help with converter life too, though that can be driver dependent.
So it's slipping / unlocked most of the time? I am not an expert in auto boxes by any means but wouldn't that wear the torque converter out quicker?

Sent using Tapatalk - 2014 5.3 WT

The name of the game is fuel mileage for GM, that is part of the reason why it's always trying to be engaged.

Over time things have advanced and changed. Take the old 4L60 and 4L80e's, they only had the converter lock in 3rd and 4th gear. When the first 6L80e came out it was allowed in 2-6th gear but not first. Now it's allowed in every gear to try and maximize fuel economy and have minimal slippage and power loss for a smooth driving experience. The AFM/DoD played a large roll in how they want the converter to act.

I'm no expert either, but the less that the converter is locking and unlocking the less wear that can happen. The less chance I have to deal with the studder or weird vibrations at lower speeds because the converter is locked in 3rd gear doing 14mph at 1,000rpm.

Torque converters are designed to slip and with the low stall speed that these trucks have, they do not produce a ton of heat. So the request that I am asking should not be hurting anything.

29 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

The name of the game is fuel mileage for GM, that is part of the reason why it's always trying to be engaged.

Over time things have advanced and changed. Take the old 4L60 and 4L80e's, they only had the converter lock in 3rd and 4th gear. When the first 6L80e came out it was allowed in 2-6th gear but not first. Now it's allowed in every gear to try and maximize fuel economy and have minimal slippage and power loss for a smooth driving experience. The AFM/DoD played a large roll in how they want the converter to act.

I'm no expert either, but the less that the converter is locking and unlocking the less wear that can happen. The less chance I have to deal with the studder or weird vibrations at lower speeds because the converter is locked in 3rd gear doing 14mph at 1,000rpm.

Torque converters are designed to slip and with the low stall speed that these trucks have, they do not produce a ton of heat. So the request that I am asking should not be hurting anything.

Yes this and Fuel deactivation force the TCM to change the slip. As it should. We just worry that the on off can cause wear on performance based tune and power adders. I favor lock up in all but OD. With the higher stall and more power I can flash right to 2500rpm issue is when the convert locks up what power/load am I under and can the parts hold that without extra heat and wear. 

All tuners disable many of the factory setting at least at first so they can tell what their changes are doing vs. one of the million variables in the factory tune. 

I will post more pictures.