Do I not understand traction control?

It seemed to me as though I had no traction control at all. Gonna have to pay attention to my right foot!

I’ve found that ( GMs Ford Chrysler, even my Trailblazer ss) TCs we’re unpredictable. I remember going around a left turning car with people behind me moving pretty good, my right tire hitting dirt breaking traction total shut down. Almost chain reaction rear enders. I got multiple one finger salutes. I got in the habit of turning it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It sure surprised me! Came around real quick! A more inexperienced driver might have lost it. Just gotta keep my head in the game!
It'll be the same if you did it from a stop light on a wet road. This is exactly what a Dodge would do if you completely turned off the traction control.except the dodge with a hemi and no traction control will get sideways the same way on dry road, so on wet road its kinda ridiculous.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

28 minutes ago, Jacoby said:

I wasnt trying to be helpful. 

I was pointing out the absurdity of your comment

Me either.  It's the problem with todays world lol.  Bring on the self driving cars for people that after 49 years still can't handle a nannied to death sub 400 hp truck....

The stock tires are slick to begin with as is a wet of frozen surface.  When you floor something it's gonna downshift and break traction in that situation...  Just be prepared for it.

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

Me either.  It's the problem with todays world lol.  Bring on the self driving cars for people that after 49 years still can't handle a nannied to death sub 400 hp truck....

The stock tires are slick to begin with as is a wet of frozen surface.  When you floor something it's gonna downshift and break traction in that situation...  Just be prepared for it.

Yeah the differences between Chevy and Dodge are quite perplexing. I can handle the truck that's not a problem. If it had been nannied to death. the traction control would have kicked in. It did not.

27 minutes ago, Railhead_Ed said:

Yeah the differences between Chevy and Dodge are quite perplexing. I can handle the truck that's not a problem. If it had been nannied to death. the traction control would have kicked in. It did not.

And what does this matter?  Don't overdrive road conditions and come whining about how the truck didn't compensate to you for your satisfaction.  Again.. you have driven for 49 years.... what the hell were you doing for the first 35 of it.  Yeesh.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Railhead_Ed said:

I was asking for help. You were just being an asshat.

I get that and Im sorry I couldn't help you.  Judging from all the other posts on here I don't think you've really gotten any help.  I don't think there is any thing that can be said that would help you.  Here let me try:

"Do I not understand traction control?"  No you dont

"Thing I don't understand is why didn't the traction control kick in?" Because as soon as it kicked sideways you probably let out of it therefor the wheels stopped spinning and no need for TC.  If you would have stayed on the gas Im sure it would have worked like its supposed to

"Or is my traction control defective?"  No it works fine or you would have an error telling you to service traction control or stabilitrac

Personally I think you bought a POS truck and should go back to Dodge

That better?

• Like 1

That’s funny us old folks didn’t need nannies. I learned to drive on the awful roads in NJ in December. My father was driving an elcamino ss 402. My mother was driving a 73 front drive 500cid caddy. That’s what I learned to drive with. Driving with these nannies is aim and shoot. That’s not driving.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

That’s funny us old folks didn’t need nannies. I learned to drive on the awful roads in NJ in December. My father was driving an elcamino ss 402. My mother was driving a 73 front drive 500cid caddy. That’s what I learned to drive with. Driving with these nannies is aim and shoot. That’s not driving.

It is what it is.  He screwed up and overdrove the road.  So what?  Did he wreck or hurt anyone?  No.  People screw up on the regular.  Put the Ram on the same tires at the same co-efficient of friction and watch the same thing happen when both tires break loose and jerk the truck.  It happens so fast the computer can't do a damn thing for it or else it would be applying traction control when you floor it on a dry road.

I dunno..... I too learned how to drive before this stuff existed and disable it however I can....  in a part of the world with ice and snow a good 7 months of the year.  

Like just own your own driving mistake and move on with it... not try and say the truck is defective.

• Like 1

It is what it is.  He screwed up and overdrove the road.  So what?  Did he wreck or hurt anyone?  No.  People screw up on the regular.  Put the Ram on the same tires at the same co-efficient of friction and watch the same thing happen when both tires break loose and jerk the truck.  It happens so fast the computer can't do a damn thing for it or else it would be applying traction control when you floor it on a dry road.

I dunno..... I too learned how to drive before this stuff existed and disable it however I can....  in a part of the world with ice and snow a good 7 months of the year.  

Like just own your own driving mistake and move on with it... not try and say the truck is defective.

I’ve driven vehicles where the traction control guides more than intervenes. His experience is a good example of a person who relies too much on TC. An old school driver would never mat any higher power vehicle unless they were straight. Control slides or power slides were part of learning to drive for us old folks.

Traction Control and Stabilitrak sort of go hand in hand.

Traction control helps keep the tires from spinning.

If you do sway sideways at all, Stabilitrak cuts the throttle and applies brakes to straighten you back out unless you have it disabled.

I think theres a misconception with gm trucks of this body style. It is assumed that this body style will have decent handling when its actually the oposite. Its a shit wash really. From the getting sideways when going fast around corners or winedy bumpy roads. To getting sideways from a stop on dry or wet roads. The moment you turn the wheel and gas it this body bout twist and the rear swings. Traction isnt any better due to that fning g80 gov bomb waiting for ever to lockup. The stiff rear suspension doesnt help much either and 1500s arent the fix. A rear sway bar would help but your still left to deal with the gov bomb locker lag. Hate me if you want. I call it like it is. I wouldn't own another doge or ferd... So...

2 hours ago, Jacoby said:

I get that and Im sorry I couldn't help you.  Judging from all the other posts on here I don't think you've really gotten any help.  I don't think there is any thing that can be said that would help you.  Here let me try:

"Do I not understand traction control?"  No you dont

"Thing I don't understand is why didn't the traction control kick in?" Because as soon as it kicked sideways you probably let out of it therefor the wheels stopped spinning and no need for TC.  If you would have stayed on the gas Im sure it would have worked like its supposed to

"Or is my traction control defective?"  No it works fine or you would have an error telling you to service traction control or stabilitrac

Personally I think you bought a POS truck and should go back to Dodge

That better?

That's a lot better! That's the same thing I didn't understand. I don't think staying in it to see if it was going to work was an option. The rear end was starting to come around and I backed off of it to correct it. I don't think it's a POS truck. I was really questioning whether the traction control was working like it should. I think you're probably right. Had I stayed in it it probably would have kicked in. The Dodge I last had wouldn't let it go nearly as far. But, it was a far different truck. It was a Hemi. 390hp as opposed to 355. It was 2 wd. It had 20 inch wheels (p275/60/R20 as I recall. This truck has 17 inch wheels (P255/70R17). The thing just caught me off guard. 

I apologize if I was rude. 

2 hours ago, Snowcamo said:

I think theres a misconception with gm trucks of this body style. It is assumed that this body style will have decent handling when its actually the oposite. Its a shit wash really. From the getting sideways when going fast around corners or winedy bumpy roads. To getting sideways from a stop on dry or wet roads. The moment you turn the wheel and gas it this body bout twist and the rear swings. Traction isnt any better due to that fning g80 gov bomb waiting for ever to lockup. The stiff rear suspension doesnt help much either and 1500s arent the fix. A rear sway bar would help but your still left to deal with the gov bomb locker lag. Hate me if you want. I call it like it is. I wouldn't own another doge or ferd... So...

You make a lot of sense though. That's exactly what it did. I got rid of the Dodge because the frame was rusting so bad. The fuel tank almost fell out of it because the strap holding it pulled through the frame.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Snowcamo said:

It'll be the same if you did it from a stop light on a wet road. This is exactly what a Dodge would do if you completely turned off the traction control.except the dodge with a hemi and no traction control will get sideways the same way on dry road, so on wet road its kinda ridiculous.

You got that right!

• Like 1