Do I not understand traction control?

2 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I’ve driven vehicles where the traction control guides more than intervenes. His experience is a good example of a person who relies too much on TC. An old school driver would never mat any higher power vehicle unless they were straight. Control slides or power slides were part of learning to drive for us old folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think I have ever relied on traction control for anything. It wasn't until after that I started to think about it. It may just be the difference in the way my last truck handled compared to this one. This one is leaf springs. That one was coil.

I don't think I have ever relied on traction control for anything. It wasn't until after that I started to think about it. It may just be the difference in the way my last truck handled compared to this one. This one is leaf springs. That one was coil.

Most people have never experienced that kind of horse power unrestricted. It will break traction easy without the nannies. So if the nannies fail, especially in a truck the backs coming around. My 92 has no nannies and has high horsepower and twice the tire size. One quarter throttle breaks the tires. The difference is I know it and can handle it. My 14 GMC had less horsepower. The traction control was not very reliable. I couldn’t depend on it and drove it different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Most people have never experienced that kind of horse power unrestricted. It will break traction easy without the nannies. So if the nannies fail, especially in a truck the backs coming around. My 92 has no nannies and has high horsepower and twice the tire size. One quarter throttle breaks the tires. The difference is I know it and can handle it. My 14 GMC had less horsepower. The traction control was not very reliable. I couldn’t depend on it and drove it different.

My 2014 doesn't have a LSD & the traction control is actually about the right mix of allowing a little slip without getting out of shape, that's probably just because it will spin the inside wheel very easily so might kick in earlier than a truck with a LSD in the back.

Sent using Tapatalk - 2014 5.3 WT

My 2014 doesn't have a LSD & the traction control is actually about the right mix of allowing a little slip without getting out of shape, that's probably just because it will spin the inside wheel very easily so might kick in earlier than a truck with a LSD in the back.

Sent using Tapatalk - 2014 5.3 WT

There are some nannies I like, anti lock brakes, blind spot detection. They aid not interfere. TC and stabilitrac should be switchable for wet,snow covered roads. There is a button for turning it off,it does little. Just got back from visiting the in laws. He has a Honda CRV with semi autonomous driving. He driving with hands on under the steering wheel. Great another device so people pay less attention to driving.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My truck is the 1st ever 4WD vehicle i've had and the way GM set it up with the "Auto/AWD" it works flawlessly. 

I'll never buy another 2WD truck, just for the AWD function of it. I don't go off roading, I don't drive in much snow (Texas), but when it rains I put it in auto and you don't have to worry about a thing, punch it off a light and there is no tire spinning or getting sideways, just goes! Well worth the extra 4k in my book. Assuming it holds up over the years that is. 

Huge difference from my 02 Silverado that I put a TruTrac rear end in, that bad boy would just sit and spin sideways in the rain if you didnt feather the gas just right. It was a lot of fun, but could get tricky fast. 

My truck is the 1st ever 4WD vehicle i've had and the way GM set it up with the "Auto/AWD" it works flawlessly. 
I'll never buy another 2WD truck, just for the AWD function of it. I don't go off roading, I don't drive in much snow (Texas), but when it rains I put it in auto and you don't have to worry about a thing, punch it off a light and there is no tire spinning or getting sideways, just goes! Well worth the extra 4k in my book. Assuming it holds up over the years that is. 

Huge difference from my 02 Silverado that I put a TruTrac rear end in, that bad boy would just sit and spin sideways in the rain if you didnt feather the gas just right. It was a lot of fun, but could get tricky fast. 
Its a bit of a shock when a guy comes from a dodge which has zero chance of getting sideways in two or four wheel drive in any condition. Wither its on wet ground or dry. Just have to get used to it.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

12 minutes ago, Snowcamo said:

Its a bit of a shock when a guy comes from a dodge which has zero chance of getting sideways in two or four wheel drive in any condition. Wither its on wet ground or dry. Just have to get used to it.

From all the electronics keeping it throttled down?

Or from being broke down and not running period? 

HAHAHA

From all the electronics keeping it throttled down?
Or from being broke down and not running period? 

HAHAHA
Actually i think it comes from not being able to see over the warping cracked dash. [emoji38]

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KARNUT said:

There are some nannies I like, anti lock brakes.... They aid not interfere. 

I could argue against that, but I won't open up another can of worms.:lol: