Oil Change - Dealership vs DIY

I recently changed the fluids in my 2015 Sierra; front axle, rear axle, transfer case and brakes.

I’ve always brought my truck to the dealership for oil changes, however.  They charge $70 for oil change and tire rotation.  Seems like I can do it myself with Mobil 1 filter and oil for $60.  Is there any real benefit for DIY in this case? 

Do you all do your own or bring it to the shop?

Personal choice.

I do my own oil changes.

Some have them done.

I do my own because I pick the brand of oil and filter.

I also know it's done right.

Cheaper to.

:)

• Like 3

I normally Take it to the dealer while under warranty. 

65 bucks with tire rotation. 

3 miles from work. 

Detailed service records. 

It it cost me the same when you have to buy 2 5 qt jugs of synthetic. 

No mess to clean up. 

No no oil to recycle. 

Etc. 

• Like 3

I use the dealer on under warranty vehicles and I used a trusted kwick change oil service. I had a near miss on the old pickup. I rolled up on the ramps and was putting stands under the truck and off it came. Boy that would have hurt. Not worth it to save a couple bucks. To me anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Always change my own oil. Its cheaper, much faster and more convenient than trying to find a time to drive to the dealer, and sit there for an hour. The line is always 3 deep at each bay.

I can do other routine maintenance while it drains out. Last month I rotated the tires on two of my vehicles during their oil changes.

If you watch for sales on oil and stock up you can come out way ahead. I'm pretty sure I got the 5 qt jugs of Mobile 1 synthetic for about $24 each during black Friday events the last 2 years.

33 minutes ago, royalkangaroo said:

I recently changed the fluids in my 2015 Sierra; front axle, rear axle, transfer case and brakes.

I’ve always brought my truck to the dealership for oil changes, however.  They charge $70 for oil change and tire rotation.  Seems like I can do it myself with Mobil 1 filter and oil for $60.  Is there any real benefit for DIY in this case? 

Doesn't really seem worth it to me deal with the hassle of trying to rotate tires without a lift and impact driver, disposing of old oil, getting dirty, all to save $10.  I have a dealer near my office.  I can drop it off on the way to work, catch a shuttle from the dealer to the office, and then catch a shuttle back or get a ride from a coworker and I didn't spend hardly any time/effort having to mess with it.  My time is worth way more than $10.  I would say unless your a DIYer that likes to do as much vehicle maintenance yourself as possible, why bother with just doing oil changes/tire rotations yourself and still take the vehicle in for everything else?

EDIT:  I will add to do what works for you best for you, and that may not be what's best for others and vice versa.  Like in my case, I have circumstances that tip the scale in favor of taking it to the dealer.  If you live far from a dealer than it probably makes more economic sense to do the routine maintenance like oil changes yourself and take it to the dealer for the bigger things.  Regardless, if you do it yourself, at least save your receipts for supplies and document your service in case a warranty item pops up, you have a record of it.

Edited by Silverado-Hareek
  • Like 1

I just go to the dealer for oil and tire rotation. Set up an early Saturday appointment and get right in. Wife and I will go out to breakfast or lunch and its ready when we get back and this way I don't have to deal with old oil and tpms. I'm getting older and my time is more valuable than the cost of the oil change.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, royalkangaroo said:

I use Amsoil so I perform the oil changes at home.  You can cut out the labor charges and roll that into higher quality oil for you vehicle.

1 hour ago, royalkangaroo said:

Walmart is great on Mobil 1 prices.

Normally tire rotations are around $25 at most shops. The dealer has to pay their overhead and the employee so add $20 more in an Viola.

So yes the $70 is high but like anything else you are paying for convenience.

Personally trucks are easy to change oil on so I would rather take care of it at home in 30 min rather than sitting at a dealer or auto care center.

• Like 1

If you went through the trouble of changing your brake fluid then I don’t know why in the world you wouldn’t change your own oil. I avoid the dealer like the plague. 

• Like 1

I enjoy DIY projects and handyman type repairs.  The rewards for doing things myself are personal satisfaction and saving money.  I find no satisfaction in changing my own oil and the cost saving isn't enough to provide incentive.  I enjoy waiting at the dealership and checking out the inventory!

• Like 3

To each their own.

I have known people who take their cars to repair shops for simple services such as tire pressure checks or new wiper blades installed.

To me that is insanity but then again not everyone has mechanical aptitude or an open checkbook.

I feel blessed to have mechanical abilities and thank my father for passing some of his knowledge about it on to me.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

I feel blessed to have mechanical abilities and thank my father for passing some of his knowledge about it on to me.

yeah, here's to dad!

I think the majority agrees that the cost savings is marginal. So it really comes down to time. When I went in for my 4 free oil changes, it ended up being like 2 hours round trip. I can do it way faster at home plus do additional things during that time. For some who can easily hop a ride to work or kill the morning with the wife it makes more sense. If I had 2 hours to kill and no garage to work in, then I would take it in in the winter too. But I maintain 3 vehicles and do 6-10 oil changes per year, so I'm pretty used to it.

• Like 2