Oil Change - Dealership vs DIY

Do my own oil and fluid changes on the truck for all the same reasons stated above by the DIY'ers (done right, cost, etc.). I use Mobil 1 FS advanced mileage 0W-20 and a Mobil 1 FS filter. For $60 I get two 5 quart jugs and the filter delivered to my door through wal-mart.com (only have to purchase one 5 quart jug every 3 oil changes so it's $35 then - averages to about $51/oil change). I've got it down to about 20 minutes to do the oil change. I have lifetime free tire rotations through the shop where I bought my newest tires. FWIW on other fluids, I bought amsoil severe gear oil for my diffs and transfer case for around $100, dealer wants $250 to do it. Only fluids I don't do are coolant and transmission (only because the tranny on my 8-speed is a closed system and dealer can only do it). We pay for my wife's sedan to get the oil done at the dealer because they only charge $25, not worth my time for that cheap and she's not as picky as I am.

On a side note, the dealership quoted me $149 to do a pan drop / filter change for the transmission and fluid.  From what I’ve researched, it’s a real PITA and for me, that price is much worth while to have them do it.

My last oil change/tire rotation at the dealership (first out of pocket) was around $85. I looked around and found a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 and K&N oil filter for $32, also bought a second jug of 5 quart Mobil 1 for $28, and recently bought tires at Discount Tire (so free roations). So with my math I can do my own oil changes and have Discount rotate my tires for roughly $49 (figuring out the price per quart and using 8 quarts). Now granted tires were $1150, but I get free rotations lol.

I enjoy doing my own work when I can, so for me I'm gonna keep changing my own oil until I buy a new truck and get a few free ones again. To each their own.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've always been of the mindset where if I think I can do it or figure it out for myself, I do it. I pull my vehicles on the ramp at the end of the day, pull the drain plug and walk in the house. I usually wake before 7 am even on my off days. Walk out to the garage. Put the drain plug back in change the filter and refill the oil. Done and back in the house in 20 minutes including cleanup.

For my trans, I use a hand operated vacuum pump and pull one gallon of trans fluid out the trans dipstick tube. Then refill. At 65k I pulled the fluid, dropped the pan as far as it would go and wiggled the old filter out and replaced it. Every 15k, i pull one gallon of trans fluid and replace it with a new gallon.

Have had way to many dealer incidents, to even think about bringing it in for anything but warranty work. Well lugs loose, no oil once, plug on top of valve cover, trash under hood, I can go on and on, no dealership for me.

Check out Bob is the Oil Guy.  The consensus is that for a standard oil change interval,  most any oil is fine.  I use the walmart supertech synthetic or mobil 1 super (which is the cheap version) and diy.  Costs me less than $25 for a full synthetic oil change.

In my case, I have a large shop and need to go to the dump periodically for other reasons (recycling), so I don't need to make a special trip just to get rid of used oil.  And I have found the dealer or quick lube places to be inconvenient, expensive, or both.

In the 20 years I started using dealers I had two calls to question. A Ford dealership not following their check list, I watched. An over fill, I always check. I called them. They said bring it back we’ll do over. If you establish a relationship with your dealer it would be hard for them to not except blame for a misstep. They do want you to come back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The last time the dealer changed my oil , they splashed oil all over the valve cover. Didn't even try to wipe it up either. 

Years ago when Dex cool just came out I was at one of those quickie oil change places . The kid asked me if I wanted regular blue windshield washer fluid mixed in with my pink washer fluid. ??

That was the last time I went there

With the price of oil so cheap at Wallys I'll change it myself.

Edited by dieselfan1

.. everything myself.. unless I am forced to use the dealer for warranty/paperwork requirements. I'll generalize and sum it up as country vs city.. I was raised on a farm.. I learned hard work, self reliance, pride. How do you know the state of your equipment of you don't touch it/see it yourself on a regular basis. Today's world is all about convenience over quality.. hell I COULD get a burger from McDonalds for $5 but I think I'll continue to make my own.. and perform my own maintenance.

• Like 1

On ‎2019‎-‎05‎-‎20 at 6:37 AM, dieselfan1 said:

Years ago when Dex cool just came out I was at one of those quickie oil change places . The kid asked me if I wanted regular blue windshield washer fluid mixed in with my pink washer fluid. ??

I haven't taken my current truck to a quick lube place but often thought it would be a more convenient and cheaper option.  I often took my last truck to one of these places and found it quick and convenient.  The attendants were thorough and kept me informed during every step.  A free coffee and newspaper were also part of the service!  I wouldn't be upset or surprised if asked if I was ok with mixing the blue with the pink.  I'm sure there are people who would be quite upset over such a mixture.

Peppers been in the GM Dealership Shop since I've owned her twice for the factory recalls. I've had places like Jiffy Lube kill one posi in my Corvette and a Ford Automatic transmission both times wrong fluids. I've had on dealership I had do a full service put the 75W90 gear lube in the motor. Another send my Honda out the door with but 1 quart of ATF in the box and still another an empty clutch resi after a clutch change. A dealers valet was seen beating the crap out of my Mustang in the alley. Had 300 extra miles on it when I got it back. 

Dealers and specialty shops don't get near my stuff. I have a well vetted shop I use for all things I'm no longer able or willing to do and been with him for like a decade. There's something to be said for a GOOD one horse shop. 

2 hours ago, Donstar said:

I haven't taken my current truck to a quick lube place but often thought it would be a more convenient and cheaper option.  I often took my last truck to one of these places and found it quick and convenient.  The attendants were thorough and kept me informed during every step.  A free coffee and newspaper were also part of the service!  I wouldn't be upset or surprised if asked if I was ok with mixing the blue with the pink.  I'm sure there are people who would be quite upset over such a mixture.

Yes I would be upset if they dumped washer fluid in my anti freeze 

Mine went to the dealer for the free oil changes. About a 5 minute walk from work, so I just dropped it off and picked it up after work.

Since then it has gone to the shop next door to work. Usually get the tires changed over and the oil done.

I'd do it myself, but it's not saving a lot and returning the used oil is more trouble than the savings are worth. We have limited places to return oil where I live.

I do my own. I avoid the dealership like the plague. You never get good details about what they are doing. Never get a warm fuzzy that your vehicle is actually getting the attention to detail that I have personally. I'ts just a giant crapshoot on quality IMO. I'll take a rainy Sunday morning to change the oil in the garage. It's not hard, gives me a reason to get off the couch and do something, and I can have a look around underneath while I'm at it.

My general nature as a Mechanical Engineer and overall car guy is to be overly detail oriented. I don't just want to know "Your A/C is fixed"........I want to know exactly what piece failed, why it failed, what was done to repair it, what tools were used to repair it, and what has been done to fix the root cause of the issue. Those details are simply NOT going to get drug out of a service writer at your local dealership, and the odds of talking to the Tech doing the work (that might or might not have those answers) is slim to none.

With that said, I bought an extended warranty on this truck as a means to hedge my bets financially. Just got out of the dealership (after being in there for 16 days) to have the A/C repaired, Seat Rail Replaced, 3rd Brake Light Gasket Replaced, Electric Steering Recall completed, and Trailer Brake Switch Replaced. Several issues were simply not addressed, or I got tired of fighting them (The Chevy Shake is one of them). The warranty has paid for itself, but my time spent on the phone and being the proactive person in the ordeal could have been spent on actually doing the fix in fewer than 16 days. The upshot is that I had $2,800 worth of work done (dealership prices), and was out $185 from my pocket.........SO the hassle was worth it this time.

Overall, my preference is to troubleshoot, diagnose, repair, and monitor my equipment (boat, truck, lawnmower, dishwasher, laptop, etc) myself. It's 100% personal preference.

• Like 3