Oil Change - Dealership vs DIY

Sounds like some of you guys have had a rough go at dealership service departments.

The one I go to has technicians that apologize for leaving handprints on the wheels. Not greasy handprints either. The brake dust that I let accumulate got on their hands, and they apologized to me for it! [emoji848]

In my experience, they do try to do good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, ES44AC said:

I really like changing own oil. I'm also a little OCD too. 

The 2 problems I have having the dealer doing the oil changes. 

#1 the whole process driving to and from the appointment.  1.5 hours waiting. 

#2 High pressure sales , somehow I need 25 things done to a vehicle that doesn't have that many miles on it. Lots of times they are purely taking advantage you. 

Remember:

Lawyers

Politicians

Dealer Service Underwriters

.........they all go to the same place when they die!:devil:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

The reason I don’t trust mechanics and dealerships is because I spent 5 years as a mechanic in a dealer! I worked at a high end dealer too (Mercedes). I can’t imagine the shady shit at a low end dealer haha. 

We were pampered. Air conditioned shop, Italian tile, free color matching tool boxes, catered lunches on Saturdays, and 1/2 the clients had money, so they’d actually fix their cars. 

Even with being as pampered as we were, there were a few ass hats who would really screw folks over. One guy got fired for being a POS. His team leader was cleaning his cabinet/box out and found stacks of brand new oil and air filters. That POS probably didn’t change the oil either. 

Another good one, which actually happened to good tech, was he changed the oil on a car and sent it to detail. 2 hours later the car comes back in while he is at lunch with check engine oil light. I check the oil, nothing on the dipstick. It took about 7 quarts to get it back full. He somehow got distracted and only put a quart back in it. And he was an honest, good tech. It can happen to anyone. 

When I was done “topping” it off, I gave it to the foreman, I’d like to think the foreman told the customer that it was really low on oil and offered an extended warranty since it had most likely been running for at least an hour of that time with only 1 quart. But I highly doubt anything was mentioned.... 

I’ve had a few vehicles. My experience has been most oil is in bulk where they change oil. I had a couple specialty vehicles where they had to used different oil in qts it’s not common. Even at those times they grab all the qts put them together. So accidentally putting just one qt in, can’t see it. They usually have a tray on wheels every things right there. One qt would trigger a light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 5/28/2019 at 3:07 AM, Wayne3593 said:

lifetime powertrain warranty requires me to take it in for maintenance. 

This does not mean you have to take it in for oil changes. Just means you have to change the oil or the warrany is voided when it blows up.

On 5/27/2019 at 1:46 PM, Cpl_Punishment said:

I'm not sure why anyone would pay for tire rotation. I run summer and winter tires on both my cars and I've always swapped them myself. I just look at the tires and put the two that look best on the drive (front) wheels. The cars are light and the tires seem to be balanced as they are wearing pretty evenly. 

As long as you have the tool for the TPMS reset. I label mine when I take them off so I know I've rotated them properly. My winter set (bought from the dealer when I bought the truck) the TPMS dies on 2 of them. No love from the dealer for that, so they get the same love right back. But when I put my summers back on, I just walk around with the cheap tool I bought and my reset is all good.

20 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Life is like a box of Automotive Service Department Technicians.....  You Never Know What You're Gonna Get! :rolleyes:

Very true. But, it's the same for lawyers, doctors, plumbers, carpenters, etc.

14 minutes ago, tbarn said:

Very true. But, it's the same for lawyers, doctors, plumbers, carpenters, etc.

Lawyers, Doctors, Plumbers and Carpenters are not the subject of this thread. :)

But yes, you have a great point! :thumbs:

Lawyers, Doctors, Plumbers and Carpenters are not the subject of this thread. [emoji4]
But yes, you have a great point! :thumbs:

It works for comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, gmckenzie said:

As long as you have the tool for the TPMS reset. I label mine when I take them off so I know I've rotated them properly. My winter set (bought from the dealer when I bought the truck) the TPMS dies on 2 of them. No love from the dealer for that, so they get the same love right back. But when I put my summers back on, I just walk around with the cheap tool I bought and my reset is all good.

It's true that it's much easier to rotate the tires on my cheap, FWD cars that don't have fancy features like TPMS.