Gorehamj

GM Earns Award From The Steel Market Development Institute (SMDI) For Silverado

GM steel award 19 GDIS19 - Automotive Excellence Award Presentation.jpg

John Goreham
Contributing Writer, GM-Trucks.com
5-15-2019

General Motors has earned the "Automotive Excellence Award" for its innovations on the new generation Silverado. The award was presented to GM by The Steel Market Development Institute (SMDI). The GM Silverado design earned the award for its innovative use of advanced high-strength steel. The all-new 2019 Chevrolet Silverado has a body structure composed of nearly 86 percent steel. That includes ultra-high-strength steel (UHSS), advanced high-strength steel (AHSS) and high strength low alloy (HSLA) materials in the Silverado's cab, bed, and frame. The use of these strong, but lightweight materials contributed to the new Silverado's mass reduction. During the all-new Silverado's launch presentation, GM President Mark Reuss told the audience that the head of a hammer is steel. He added, “I don’t know how much work you’d get done with an aluminum hammer.”

Related Story: 2019 Silverado Focus – Fuel Saving Technology - Facts, Specs, Images

2019-Chevrolet-Silverado materials.jpg

"Automotive Excellence Award winners use advanced high-strength steel in applications to provide the best value for OEMs and consumers while also improving vehicle performance and sustainability," said Jody Hall, vice president of the automotive market at SMDI. "With automakers shifting their vehicle mix to favor trucks, CUVs and SUVs, new steel grades are leading the way in innovation. The 2019 Silverado is a great example of the capability of these next generation steel grades."

The new 2019 Silverado is 450 pounds lighter than the outgoing truck (crew cab V8 models). High strength steel makes the frame stronger, and stiffer, and also lighter. The cargo bed is also a new lighter, stronger steel.

• Haha 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By BlancoSilverado
      Hello,
      I purchased my truck a few months ago and most of the time i need to press the button 2-5 times to drop my tailgate without any help. With a little (and i mean 5 lbs) of pulling while pressing the button it works most of the time, even then i might have to press it twice. The truck is a new body 2019 Silverado LT 4x4. It started doing this day one, i thought it might just need to work in/break in and it did not.
      Is anyone else having this issue?
      If so do you know how to fix it?
       I have tried with the vehicle on level ground and even then it does not work all the time also i tried it on grounds where the front is up a few inches and i would still have to press at least twice. Every 50 times or so it will go down with one press. 

Any help will be appreciated.

• By Dan Swinford
      I have a 2015 Silverado Crew Cab LTZ and I keep finding the passenger front seat belt being wet after it rains. I've also seen water dripping from the passenger side of the upper center console (pic attached).

I've already had the OnStar antenna replaced but it's still happening.

Has anyone see this? Any ideas?

• By Criscastro5
      So i had a dead battery the other day i went to take out the battery and get it charged because they told me it was still good, so when i put the battery back on the truck and went to start it the screen would stay black . I have tried disconnecting the battery and connecting it back (negative first then positive) , i have tried taking the fuse in and out for the radio, and i have tried moving the connections under the cabin filter. Please help thank you 
    • By jogutier
      They're in great shape, $100 shipped with the 48 States.

No power fold or puddle lights. Power up down side to side only.