The perfect truck?

I drive a base model gas 2500 and I struggle to understand why people put themselves through these decisions.  My truck does everything I could ever ask of it.  I have power windows and locks, air conditioning, stability control, antilock brakes, six airbags, and a 2900 lb payload.  The truck rides great with 55 psi or so.  

What is it about fancy headlights, cooled seats, heated steering wheels, fancy 20" wheels and such that makes people spend so much money?  I have a nice 65 GTO that I fuss over and spend way too much on.  But a truck?  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, i82much said:

I drive a base model gas 2500 and I struggle to understand why people put themselves through these decisions.  My truck does everything I could ever ask of it.  I have power windows and locks, air conditioning, stability control, antilock brakes, six airbags, and a 2900 lb payload.  The truck rides great with 55 psi or so.  

What is it about fancy headlights, cooled seats, heated steering wheels, fancy 20" wheels and such that makes people spend so much money?  I have a nice 65 GTO that I fuss over and spend way too much on.  But a truck?  

For some of us, the truck is the only vehicle we have (other than the wife's/kid's cars in my case), so it's a daily driver. Want some features to make the driving better. Now, I don't have cooled seats, heated steering wheels, hope to never have 20" or larger wheels but my SLE does have leather, heated seats (really nice in the winter), 8" screen with nav and such...you get the idea.

53 minutes ago, mcdavis said:

For some of us, the truck is the only vehicle we have (other than the wife's/kid's cars in my case), so it's a daily driver. Want some features to make the driving better. Now, I don't have cooled seats, heated steering wheels, hope to never have 20" or larger wheels but my SLE does have leather, heated seats (really nice in the winter), 8" screen with nav and such...you get the idea.

Sure, I mean I get it.  My truck is a daily too.  We all spend our own money on these trucks and should get whatever we damned well please.  All I am saying is that I find myself feeling better about my truck knowing I didn't spend a crazy amount on it, not worrying about scratching my cheap steel wheels, not worrying about my kid dropping food on my vinyl floors, etc.

11 hours ago, i82much said:

I hate it when people say this, like everybody with a luxo truck just wants to have a cool truck for no reason.

Some of us spend long hours in our trucks. We want to enjoy that time more. One might say it would be silly to spend hours a day in something and not spend more on nice luxurious features and try to make the truck a little more fun to drive with the 6.2.

I personally hate driving a truck everyday, I’d much rather drive a sports car. The only thing that makes it bearable is having a great stereo and a 420hp 6.2L

Some of us use the truck as the replacement for the family SUV as well, and it does a fine job at that.

They are not just tools anymore. There are flavors of trucks for different needs. If all you need is a tool, that’s great, just spare us the ol “i dont get all you people and your fancy trucks” 

14 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

I hate it when people say this, like everybody with a luxo truck just wants to have a cool truck for no reason.

Some of us spend long hours in our trucks. We want to enjoy that time more. One might say it would be silly to spend hours a day in something and not spend more on nice luxurious features and try to make the truck a little more fun to drive with the 6.2.

I personally hate driving a truck everyday, I’d much rather drive a sports car. The only thing that makes it bearable is having a great stereo and a 420hp 6.2L

Some of us use the truck as the replacement for the family SUV as well, and it does a fine job at that.

They are not just tools anymore. There are flavors of trucks for different needs. If all you need is a tool, that’s great, just spare us the ol “i dont get all you people and your fancy trucks” 

Do what you want, crankypants.  I don't care.  I was just offering my perspective.  If spending a boatload of money on a fancy truck gives you a chubby, go for it. 

I'd be sick to my stomach taking a 60k truck to go some of the places I take my truck during hunting season.  And I drive my truck daily and we take family vacations in it too.  It's not like 1960 when a base model didn't have air conditioning or power windows.  A basic truck these days is a very comfortable, safe, full-featured vehicle by any reasonable standard.

I get it though.  You want the extra coochie-ticklers thrown in, it's your money and your coochie.  Get 'er done, hoss!

26 minutes ago, i82much said:

Sure, I mean I get it.  My truck is a daily too.  We all spend our own money on these trucks and should get whatever we damned well please.  All I am saying is that I find myself feeling better about my truck knowing I didn't spend a crazy amount on it, not worrying about scratching my cheap steel wheels, not worrying about my kid dropping food on my vinyl floors, etc.

Yeah, I know what you mean. Hence my "no 20's" statement. They look great, but I don't want to tear them up knowing they cost me extra. Ultimately, the "perfect truck" is whatever the owner wants it to be, whether it's a fully dressed Denali or a WT with just enough to make the driver happy, because that's the only person paying for it.

• Like 1

Just now, mcdavis said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. Hence my "no 20's" statement. They look great, but I don't want to tear them up knowing they cost me extra. Ultimately, the "perfect truck" is whatever the owner wants it to be, whether it's a fully dressed Denali or a WT with just enough to make the driver happy, because that's the only person paying for it.

That's right.  Everyone should buy the right truck for them.  I know what's right for me and why it is right for me.  But some people say leather is great for dogs.  As I said earlier, I'd like a bigger display.  I paid extra for a remote start.  Some people have two frequent drivers and like the seats that remember their position.  Some people like to adjust their pedals.  Some people are 9 foot tall and want to stick their head out of the sun roof when they drive.  Whatever works!

• Like 1

Everybody is different, along with priorities. That's why they have some many variations on models and colors. My truck is a second vehicle. When i buy stuff, I keep it for awhile and meticulously maintain. Works for me. I wanted the 6.2L and balked at some of the options, but after experiencing those vented seats on 100 degree, humid as hell day... well, it would be hard to go back. Lots of guys love modding stuff and if they didn't, well this forum wouldn't exist. 

33 minutes ago, i82much said:

Do what you want, crankypants.  I don't care.  I was just offering my perspective.  If spending a boatload of money on a fancy truck gives you a chubby, go for it. 

I'd be sick to my stomach taking a 60k truck to go some of the places I take my truck during hunting season.  And I drive my truck daily and we take family vacations in it too.  It's not like 1960 when a base model didn't have air conditioning or power windows.  A basic truck these days is a very comfortable, safe, full-featured vehicle by any reasonable standard.

I get it though.  You want the extra coochie-ticklers thrown in, it's your money and your coochie.  Get 'er done, hoss!

Yeah I actually spent $33k on a 2 year old 6.2 with 20k miles.

It’s worth about $29k now.

So I lost about $4k in depreciation over 2 years all while enjoy my coochie ticklers.

All kidding aside, there’s a big difference in price between your base model and the denali ultimate and there are numerous options in between.

Slt has all the luxury without the fancy shit

Edited by truckguy82
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, truckguy82 said:

Yeah I actually spent $33k on a 2 year old 6.2 with 20k miles.

It’s worth about $29k now.

So I lost about $4k in depreciation over 2 years all while enjoy my coochie ticklers.

All kidding aside, there’s a big difference in price between your base model and the denali ultimate and there are numerous options in between.

Slt has all the luxury without the fancy shit

Honestly one reason I have a cheap truck is that I am a dirtball.  Like, people with nicer cars don't want me sitting in them :jester:

It’s all in your needs and how much you are willing to spend as stated, kinda like the argument between gas and diesel. 90% of truck owners don’t need a diesel but choose to have it because it has the power to pull a house off the foundation.

23 minutes ago, kenny_r said:

It’s all in your needs and how much you are willing to spend as stated, kinda like the argument between gas and diesel. 90% of truck owners don’t need a diesel but choose to have it because it has the power to pull a house off the foundation.

I pulled my house off the foundation with my last diesel. Wife got cranky, made me sell it and buy a gas truck :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1