Turbo 6.2 almost done!!

On 7/20/2019 at 6:33 PM, DenaliX14 said:

Hate to say it, I kept thinking that for mine too. I’d throw another 3-4 weeks on your expectation. Just to be on the safe side. They have a lot of work going on and only tuning twice a week makes that a little tough.  But the work on both sides is worth the wait. They won’t let you go until you’re 100%! I’ll be their Wednesday to drop off the drive shaft. I’ll snap a couple of yours and post. 

Yeah, it's been in the back of my mind that it could take longer than expected.  It's not any kind of off the shelf solution so it just goes with the territory.  I know it will be worth the wait.

1 hour ago, ShortyMatt said:

Yeah, it's been in the back of my mind that it could take longer than expected.  It's not any kind of off the shelf solution so it just goes with the territory.  I know it will be worth the wait.

Just came from the shop. James forbade me from taking any pictures lol. Yours was in a bay getting the intercooler mounted up. You should look into getting a L86 intake manifold and throttle body or even a Lingenfelter 95mm one. It would greatly pump up the power.

I believe Alex will be back tomorrow and tuning. I'm hoping mine will be done tomorrow or Friday at the latest. 

Here are some pics of the driveshaft. It is beefy. 

IMG_3416.thumb.JPG.b329866c64281f634618dab52656786f.JPGIMG_3410.thumb.JPG.8b5767d19ddbee006a14edda7bf172e2.JPG

2 hours ago, DenaliX14 said:

Just came from the shop. James forbade me from taking any pictures lol.

Hahaha that's great, I'm the same way with my own work, I understand totally!  He's been great about sending me pics along the way.  Thanks for trying!

I'm turning 40 and I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas to come. 

Oh no, I'm not falling for it... I'm not gonna be the first one to comment on your shaft!  :lol:

HAHAHAHA, and yet...! 

Same here. Every time I go to the shop to drop off another part I get more and more excited. I'm literally having dreams about my truck. I think I will be behind the wheel in 72 hours. Which is perfect. It is the transport vehicle when my wife goes into labor. Our baby is due in about 4 weeks ish so it has to get done.

What is your power goal?

20 minutes ago, DenaliX14 said:

HAHAHAHA, and yet...! 

Same here. Every time I go to the shop to drop off another part I get more and more excited. I'm literally having dreams about my truck. I think I will be behind the wheel in 72 hours. Which is perfect. It is the transport vehicle when my wife goes into labor. Our baby is due in about 4 weeks ish so it has to get done.

What is your power goal?

Congrats on your "other" new addition (and not the one for the truck! haha)!  Hey if ever there was a day you could talk your way out of a speeding ticket in the upgraded truck, that's the day!

I'm shooting for 500 if the stock fuel delivery system can send enough gas.  And if it can't I guess I'm replacing some more parts until it does.  I was at 316 on their dyno last week from just my driveway mods.

18 hours ago, ShortyMatt said:

Congrats on your "other" new addition (and not the one for the truck! haha)!  Hey if ever there was a day you could talk your way out of a speeding ticket in the upgraded truck, that's the day!

I'm shooting for 500 if the stock fuel delivery system can send enough gas.  And if it can't I guess I'm replacing some more parts until it does.  I was at 316 on their dyno last week from just my driveway mods.

TY! It's our first.  NO KIDDING, I'm kind of hoping for that opportunity. But with 750 or so wheel I'm kind of scared he'll just shoot out..

If you need Z06 high flow injectors and Pump as well as a in tank pump,  James can hook you up if need be. I have yet to find all three under $2,500K I'm sure they can do much much better (Installed). 

Have you considered getting an L86 Intake Manifold and a different Throttle body? at that point you can do a Lingenfelter ported 95MM. Intake manifolds are pretty cheap ($150 shipped new) and the Lingenfelter 95MM is like $499 with an adapter plate. Very easy bolt on monsters.  

Edited by DenaliX14

1 hour ago, DenaliX14 said:

TY! It's our first.  NO KIDDING, I'm kind of hoping for that opportunity. But with 750 or so wheel I'm kind of scared he'll just shoot out..

If you need Z06 high flow injectors and Pump as well as a in tank pump,  James can hook you up if need be. I have yet to find all three under $2,500K I'm sure they can do much much better (Installed). 

Have you considered getting an L86 Intake Manifold and a different Throttle body? at that point you can do a Lingenfelter ported 95MM. Intake manifolds are pretty cheap ($150 shipped new) and the Lingenfelter 95MM is like $499 with an adapter plate. Very easy bolt on monsters.  

Any of you guys heard of Nick WIlliams TB's? They seem to be quite common for LS/LT builds. Not sure if its too large or way overkill, not my area of expertise but I see the name a lot lately, 102mm. https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/nwp-sd102mmel/overview/

I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it...  Maybe that'll be my next move!

3 hours ago, ShortyMatt said:

I hadn't thought about it until you mentioned it...  Maybe that'll be my next move!

Well, I can tell you that the Rod bearings are not good after 650 WHP. Just broke on the Dyno around 720+ish.  Looks like we're pulling the engine again. :( 

Since they're going to pull my block I think I'll go for a MSD atomic intake with katech 103MM. If that's the case would you want to buy my L86 manifold and Lingenfelter tb? All one unit. plug and chug. 

5 hours ago, DenaliX14 said:

Well, I can tell you that the Rod bearings are not good after 650 WHP. Just broke on the Dyno around 720+ish.  Looks like we're pulling the engine again. :( 

Since they're going to pull my block I think I'll go for a MSD atomic intake with katech 103MM. If that's the case would you want to buy my L86 manifold and Lingenfelter tb? All one unit. plug and chug. 

Bullshit they aren’t good to that power. They 100% ****ed up the build. You better not be paying for that.

Drives me up a wall when mechanics bullshit their customers. Just admit you screwed up the bearing clearances.

Edited by truckguy82
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

What makes you say they botched the build?

stock camshaft, connecting rods and bearings. What should they tolerate up too? 

Your 1st post in this thread says aftermarket rods

Anyway, bearings don’t have a hp limit. Well they do, but it’s nowhere near your power level. 

I must admit, I’ve never built an lt motor, but I’ve built a ton of other motors. Short of an bmw s65, I’ve never heard of bearings being a weak point. Oem is usually better than aftermarket.

Bearing failure when first starting is probably-

-Metal shavings in oil from lack of cleaning

-bad assembly, over torque or if they resused the bearings they might have put swapped them out to  different rods

-if they used new oem bearings they measured wrong

-hell they might have even forgot to install a rod bolt

anyway, I’d post it up on corvetteforum. They have much more lt experience. Just to confirm.

I’m like 99% sure they didn’t exceed bearing power limits and that it’s a load of shit they are feeding you.

Edited by truckguy82

I appreciate the insight. I will be digging in. I’ve spent a lot of money on this build and am not in the habit of throwing money I don’t have away. 

The build section that lists the parts just says “forged”. The LT1/LT4/L86 uses the same block casting, forged crank shaft and I-beams. The aftermarket, with the rotating assembly, are the diamond pistons. 

I have a 2014 GM block that was produced in 2013. It is likely to have experienced a “spun bearing” which is entirely possible. 

At any rate we won’t know until it is pulled. I believe I’m going to end up getting a new rotating assembly and a machine shop will assemble. 

I appreciate the insight. I will be digging in. I’ve spent a lot of money on this build and am not in the habit of throwing money I don’t have away. 

The build section that lists the parts just says “forged”. The LT1/LT4/L86 uses the same block casting, forged crank shaft and I-beams. The aftermarket, with the rotating assembly, are the diamond pistons. 

I have a 2014 GM block that was produced in 2013. It is likely to have experienced a “spun bearing” which is entirely possible. 

At any rate we won’t know until it is pulled. I believe I’m going to end up getting a new rotating assembly and a machine shop will assemble. 

Oh you did the pistons without the rods?

yeah while you got it open for sure do the rods, that’s the only other weakpoint below 1k hp

rod bearings though, they should be fine

I knew lt1 and l86 were the same, but thought lt4 was different

7 hours ago, truckguy82 said:

Oh you did the pistons without the rods?

yeah while you got it open for sure do the rods, that’s the only other weakpoint below 1k hp

rod bearings though, they should be fine

I knew lt1 and l86 were the same, but thought lt4 was different

No sir. It was my corner to cut and unfortunately I did. 

Just ordered a short block from Texas speed and performance. 427 CID. Handles over 1200 wheel HP. It’s on now!!