Diablo i3 = Junk

So I spent a bunch of time researching tuners on this forum and few others and finally decided to get the Diablo i3, I talked to Lew who was going to do a custom tune for my truck.  Package comes, first off, super disappointed with the quality of the tuner itself, the touchscreen is fuc$$$ and won't respond 90% of the time, I do all the updates including paying MORE money for the 2017+ update, plug it into the truck and it doesn't work, says it needs more updates.  Plug it back into my computer which says the updates are done, and I can't diagnose the device itself because it's practically being unresponsive and honestly with how cheap this thing is I don't even want to use it on my truck because its probably just going to fu$$$ that up too.  So now this expensive worthless piece of plastic is going in the trash where it belongs and I am going to look for a custom tune somewhere else.  Just a heads up for anyone looking at diablo, there are a couple of good reviews online but I would recommend it's not worth the risk.  Also looking at comments from the diablo customer service they're just as useless as the product.  0/10 would not recommend

• Like 1

Great first post troll. I’ll say though you are in the minority when it comes to negative reviews on the I3 and Diablew.   

Must be nice to have $400-500 to just throw in the trash. Wanna loan me some money lol

Wrong way to make a post bashing a product IMO.
Just state the facts without the foul language.
[emoji4]
I believe sometime people expect thing to be super smooth like playing a DVD at home. Also it is possible what he says is right and there was a error that snowballed his anger.
This is why I see a huge amount of email tuners quitting.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I have a i3 and Lew's tune. Pretty happy with how my truck runs. That said I can totally relate to what the OP said. The quality of the unit is that of cheap Chinese electronics, it's not some bad A** solid unit. Also the steps to load/tunes are wonky and it's like they tried to dumb it down too much for novices actually making it less clear how to use IMHO

It can do quite a bit once you figure it out and can definitely get you where you want to go. Lew's customer service is great.  All that said hindsight I would have just done HP and found the right guy locally to tune it with both a dyno and drivability tune, plus the ability to share tunes is cool.

For doing basic stuff and basic tunes, there is nothing wrong with Lew's service and he does a good job. For a full custom tune with timing changes and digging deep into the program you need someone who specializes in that level of tuning. ( I believe Lew does not claim to change everything or do highly modded engines).

The i3 unit on the other hand is great if you don't have access to a local tuner, and just want a cleanup of the fueling and some various parameters /flags changed. I agree the unit itself and what I have seen of customer service is not all that. OK, I'll be honest it is junk, but it works just like all the other handhelds and can do custom tunes - that is it's redeeming quality.

I wouldn't throw it away, it may be something you are doing, I found a couple of steps unclear and had to figure out how to work the thing and access files in the correct sequence. Now I almost like it (the i3 unit) because I see that it can do & access many PIDS and make tuning changes yourself, just is cumbersome in the steps and again the physical unit  itself is garbage, meaning the touch screen and buttons do not always work as they should and you cant proceed without the buttons working.

I Would much rather use my own laptop and a real program. The other plus of the i3 is you don't "need" a laptop or real program to tune.

Edited by kennerz

The factory diablo tunes are trash.   Pay for a diablew tune and its just as good as any hptuners tune on a relatively stock vehicle. You DO NOT NEED hptuners unless you're doing anything non bolt on, it's a waste of money. I've used HP tuners on my internals camaro, and yes it's awesome. But for a daily driven truck, I was very impressed with how well the truck woke up and shifted with a diablew tune. 

• Like 1

Guys
I have a 16 Denali 6.2 that is a daily driver. Thinking about a tune. Friend of mine has the I3 tune and has offered it to me.
After reading through these posts I am wondering what would be best? My truck is stock. No interest in CAI or cams and etc. Just looking for a little wake up. Any suggestions please? Thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, SWOYER said:

The factory diablo tunes are trash.   Pay for a diablew tune and its just as good as any hptuners tune on a relatively stock vehicle. You DO NOT NEED hptuners unless you're doing anything non bolt on, it's a waste of money. I've used HP tuners on my internals camaro, and yes it's awesome. But for a daily driven truck, I was very impressed with how well the truck woke up and shifted with a diablew tune. 

Preach it brother

Yea I have messed with the Diablo I3 as well. I wasnt impressed with the build quality at all. The stock loaded tunes didnt really feel like much changed. Havent done the Lew tune though so no comment but I have heard nothing but great things about him.

On 5/16/2019 at 10:01 PM, ChevySilveraydo said:

So I spent a bunch of time researching tuners on this forum and few others and finally decided to get the Diablo i3, I talked to Lew who was going to do a custom tune for my truck.  Package comes, first off, super disappointed with the quality of the tuner itself, the touchscreen is fuc$$$ and won't respond 90% of the time, I do all the updates including paying MORE money for the 2017+ update, plug it into the truck and it doesn't work, says it needs more updates.  Plug it back into my computer which says the updates are done, and I can't diagnose the device itself because it's practically being unresponsive and honestly with how cheap this thing is I don't even want to use it on my truck because its probably just going to fu$$$ that up too.  So now this expensive worthless piece of plastic is going in the trash where it belongs and I am going to look for a custom tune somewhere else.  Just a heads up for anyone looking at diablo, there are a couple of good reviews online but I would recommend it's not worth the risk.  Also looking at comments from the diablo customer service they're just as useless as the product.  0/10 would not recommend

Before you throw it out,  I'll gladly take it and pay the shipping. ?

• Like 2