That Went By Fast! GMC Shines Spotlight On Sierra Updates For 2020

Gorehamj

20 hours ago, econometrics said:

Remember those old analog clocks they had in the Chryslers? LOL. 

Remember the 2013 Chevies using the same technology? It was an analog-like green pixel display, didn't exactly make a 1963 Casio calculator look low-tech. The same Casio display is used in the C6 Corvettes. Ford had their LCD Sync displays at the this point in time. 

9 hours ago, gearheadesw said:

I think this is the problems with our trucks now, new soccer mom van. Get out of my trucks that I work  in, all this bull shit for comfort and convince and safety. To get any of the good things that we need, we have to get lane following, pedestrian avoidance, it goes on and on. Ridiculous, hate this new system.

I agree with you for the most part. Humans have been driving trucks for decades without all of the "advanced safety features" with no problems at all.

Yes, more soccer Moms and baseball Dads are purchasing trucks and large SUV's more than ever.

As long as they keep it up trucks will dominate. That is until gas jumps up again. We have all been spoiled with lower prices which makes driving trucks and large SUV's daily more feasible.

Remember back in '08-'10 time frame when gas was an arm and a leg? Truck and SUV owners were shelling them left and right for smaller cars or hybrids.

That trend will come back again soon. Problem is, automakers (big 3) are discontinuing the sedan models.

I feel this will come back to bite them in the ass.

Edited by Sierra Dan
  • Like 1

Dodge Ram has been consistently improving their reliability year over year.  They are no longer the junk they once were with bad trannies and such like they were 20 years ago.   Here is just a sample.  The Ram truck is in the game to win and they are doing a pretty dang good job.  I like them.  Am I a fanboy of them?  Well when it comes to brand new 2019/2020 models.. I'll take them over the ugly silverado/sierra anyday.  But since I no longer buy brand new, I'm likely to get back into a GMT-800, 900, or possibly a 2014-2019 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton. 

https://www.jdpower.com/cars/trucks/10-most-popular-trucks?make=&model=

20 hours ago, Sierra Dan said:

Humans have been driving trucks for decades without all of the "advanced safety features" with no problems at all.

Wait, what?  "no problems at all"?  You can't be serious.  Maybe you're only counting extinction-level events as problems?  Like humans still exist on the planet therefore "we're good, thanks"?

Plenty of automobile accidents have happened (and continue to) on a fairly regular basis.  Plenty of people have died.  Those count as problems to people who aren't psychopaths.

*Some* humans have had no problems.  *Some* humans have been lucky.  It's really not the same thing.  Statistically significant numbers *have* had problems. 

Edited by Daverado
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Daverado said:

Wait, what?  "no problems at all"?  You can't be serious.  Maybe you're only counting extinction-level events as problems?  Like humans still exist on the planet therefore "we're good, thanks"?

Plenty of automobile accidents have happened (and continue to) on a fairly regular basis.  Plenty of people have died.  Those count as problems to people who aren't psychopaths.

The bottom line is that our vehicles are transitioning to fully autonomous.

Trucks included. Big Rigs included. I know that I am not the only member here who is not super happy about that prospect.

I would rather be in control. Computers are not the answer for everything.

Heads up display is a great idea though and seems useful.

I agree with other posts here, the real improvement we are all waiting for is the interior.  I don't mind plastics in use currently, but the comfort and usability is dead last, especially compared to the previous mentioned RAM trucks.  I got to test a RAM truck the other day.  Still prefer the road characteristics of the GM trucks, but the ride smoothness was noticeable in the RAM.  However, the interior just simply blows the GM trucks away in just about every part of the inside you can point at.  The seats are MASSIVELY more comfortable than GM.  The center console is far more usable and thoughtfully designed (What the ____ happened the the center console in the GM trucks?  It's all but gone!)  And, of course the awesome display that's available on upper trims, no way that can go unmentioned.  But, even small things like buttons and dials are just better in the RAM.  Time to get rid of the shift stick GM, it's just time...

I can only hope that GM wakes up in 2021 and makes a truck that competes rather than lands in 3rd place like it has done this year.

On 5/21/2019 at 5:27 AM, gearheadesw said:

I think this is the problems with our trucks now, new soccer mom van. Get out of my trucks that I work  in, all this bull shit for comfort and convince and safety. To get any of the good things that we need, we have to get lane following, pedestrian avoidance, it goes on and on. Ridiculous, hate this new system.

it's call the Work Truck model.  Look into it.  Basically no features.

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:57 PM, Nathan Banga said:

Any idea when they will begin producing the 2020 models, or when we could expect them on dealer lots. ? If you ordered one now would you get a 2020? I was about to buy a 2019 in the next two weeks but I really wanted adaptive cruise control. 

More info on engines, trans etc... for 2020...Trailboss LT 6.2:

"Chevrolet is expanding availability of the 6.2-liter V-8 to the entire Trail Boss and RST trim lineup. This means that it will now be available in the Custom and LT Trail Boss paired with those models' factory suspension lifts and the Z71 Off-Road Package. The engine makes 460 pounds-feet of torque and will be mated to the 10-speed automatic transmission; Chevrolet says the 6.2-liter will be available in the Trail Boss for less than $44,000."

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/05/2020-chevrolet-silverado-1500-gives-you-more-powertrain-towing-options.html

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 4:58 AM, CombsL83 said:

Outpaced in looks maybe. Chrysler/Ram reliability is still among the worst in the business and their owners find that out quickly. 

I agree, looks and 'luxury' don't mean much when you drive 30k miles a year and want to get 300k miles out of your rig... Fancy is fine but, reliability is final..

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Stex said:

More info on engines, trans etc... for 2020...Trailboss LT 6.2:

"Chevrolet is expanding availability of the 6.2-liter V-8 to the entire Trail Boss and RST trim lineup. This means that it will now be available in the Custom and LT Trail Boss paired with those models' factory suspension lifts and the Z71 Off-Road Package. The engine makes 460 pounds-feet of torque and will be mated to the 10-speed automatic transmission; Chevrolet says the 6.2-liter will be available in the Trail Boss for less than $44,000."

https://news.pickuptrucks.com/2019/05/2020-chevrolet-silverado-1500-gives-you-more-powertrain-towing-options.html

That is kick ass... I was thinking Sierra SLT for my next truck but, now I'm thinking Silverado RST with a 6.2...

14 hours ago, Daverado said:

*Some* humans have had no problems.  *Some* humans have been lucky.  It's really not the same thing.  Statistically significant numbers *have* had problems. 

I compare all these new safety systems to the advances manufacturers made in making cars safer during crashes with crumple zones, more air bags etc... People feel safer so they drive more carelessly. Now they have all these "driver aids" so they are paying less attention than before.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CombsL83 said:

I compare all these new safety systems to the advances manufacturers made in making cars safer during crashes with crumple zones, more air bags etc... People feel safer so they drive more carelessly. Now they have all these "driver aids" so they are paying less attention than before.

Meh.  Correlation or causation?

When I see issues with drivers on the roads it usually involves talking or texting with the phone.

Now for my own wild speculation.. Driver aides or otherwise, I doubt they feel that much more secure or even much care, personally.  I think they just only care about what's on their phone at the time.

As far as driver distraction, eating/drinking is still the #1 distraction that causes accidents even today.  Smartphones didn't help the problem much either, but there's plenty to distract today's road filled with ADD drivers.  Glad to see the advances in safety for both them and me as a possible victim to these distracted types.

Phones and text are the problems. During the day the problem is nearly as bad a the drunks as the sun sets. The safety devices are just to allow the phone users to continue their  narcissistic behavior of driving and talking/texting. However if one is stopped at a red light, the systems may keep the idiot from hitting you at 50 mph..

Just glad to see the engine choices widen for GM 1500s. Care less about tech and the size of ones tv in the dash....glad for the safety features for the" I do not pay attention to driving when driving dopes. " Or worse, "I can use the phone, text and drive dopes. "