Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

GM engineers hid secret tailgate in storage room for 2 years


Recommended Posts

That is a very awesome story that tailgate is pretty cool but, there's always something. At the car show we lowered the tailgate and if you had a hitch on the back of your truck it would have smashed the inner tailgate when it came down how do you prevent that from happening if you just forget that the ball was there like I would cuz I always have one on my truck?,   even the salesman,  sorry salesperson prob transgender, didn't even have an idea about that happening... I guess when you remove your trailer you would have to remove the ball every single time. Then again if your trailer is hooked up the tailgate comes down and then you open the inner tailgate it will smash against the front Jack of the trailer. Okay I just talked myself out of getting one.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Great article, love the story.

 

And I guess I didn’t realize everyone leaves their ball mounts in. Took one to the ankle too many times to do that myself. Plus, around here, if you leave it in for more than a few days it’s liable to rust solid in there.... 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

The Multi-pro is everything its cracked up to be....GM should offer it on every truck they make as an option. I've had my truck about a week and just today I used the multi-pro three times. It turned three pain in the rear bed related task that I would have dreaded into quick and easy jobs. 

 

Its makes virtually any bed related task easier and in my personal opinion its a game changer. The tailgate doesnt get nearly the credit it deserves. 

Edited by Chris walker
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, OnTheReel said:

Great article, love the story.

 

And I guess I didn’t realize everyone leaves their ball mounts in. Took one to the ankle too many times to do that myself. Plus, around here, if you leave it in for more than a few days it’s liable to rust solid in there.... 

In Alberta, Canada you're required to remove your mount. I'm not sure if this is law in every Canadian province but it's a good law even though it's probably seldom enforced especially in the redneck regions. Still, I'll go with the regular tailgate when the time comes.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, magnum74 said:

In Alberta, Canada you're required to remove your mount. I'm not sure if this is law in every Canadian province but it's a good law even though it's probably seldom enforced especially in the redneck regions. Still, I'll go with the regular tailgate when the time comes.

Where are you getting this from?  I'm born and raised in AB, and lived there for most of my life and I never heard of this.  And from googling this, seems like it's only an issue if it blocks the license plate from being fully visible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t understand this hitch ball nonsense. I take mine out almost every time I unhitch, I only leave it in if I’m hitching up again in the next day or so.

 

Honestly I think this tailgate is brilliant.  

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

What gets me laughing is that they claim they have tested it for years, yet somehow, didn't discover this problem during testing. I would be very concerned what else they have supposedly tested and actually have not. I'm sure the tailgate is nice and all but too much hassle involved for me to want to get the step out. That goes for the Ford as well. Add to the already overinflated prices these things cost, these trucks should come from the factory perfect.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Wayne3593 said:

What gets me laughing is that they claim they have tested it for years, yet somehow, didn't discover this problem during testing. I would be very concerned what else they have supposedly tested and actually have not. I'm sure the tailgate is nice and all but too much hassle involved for me to want to get the step out. That goes for the Ford as well. Add to the already overinflated prices these things cost, these trucks should come from the factory perfect.

Sometimes even the most brilliant minds miss the simple things.  I reckon the gate spent more time in testing off a truck than on a working one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

Sometimes even the most brilliant minds miss the simple things.  I reckon the gate spent more time in testing off a truck than on a working one.

There's truth in these words but still. If it wasn't for the tailgate lock in my '14, I would have had a dent in the mine from hitting the trailer jack handle when the scouts were trying to get their gear out of the bed.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

You really think the engineers who designed this gate didn’t foresee the thing hitting a trailer hitch? Seems more likely that they either didn’t think so many people leave their ball mounts in, or they didn’t think people would be dumb enough to drop that part of the gate down if they did.

 

Next thing you know people will complain that the doors are still capable of opening all the way even if you’re in a tight parking spot. Really no different. 

  • Like 4
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Guess that's why we don't get things like auto close power windows, some people don't pay attention to what they're doing.

 

If I lower my tailgate with my trailer attached, the trailer jack will bash the tailgate, but I'm not going to blame GM for that.

Edited by 383
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.