Mid-sized truck logic?

So, before ultimately deciding on my lightly used 18'  Silverado 1500 DC LT, I had window shopped pre-owned 18' Tacoma's and Colorado's. To my suprise, what I found was that models with comparable trim/mileage were almost the same price as my Silverado that I chose. To be specific, Colorado's were around the same price or 1-2k cheaper, while most Tacoma's were actually MORE expensive by 1-2k.

I guess I'm just stumped as to why anyone would want to spend around the same price or possible more for "less" truck? I mean to be fair a Colorado would be somewhat more appealing I suppose, in that they were on average somewhat cheaper and better MPG than the average V8.. but obviously you sacrifice bed space and towing capability. Tacoma's are a different story. They are usually MORE expensive, worse MPG etc.. don't get me wrong, I think they're good looking trucks. But all things considered, I guess I'm just perplexed as to why there isn't more of a price gap between comparably equipped mid-sized and full-sized trucks on average? And why people are willing to pay more for less, so to speak?

Edited by mistermcgoo

I’m being generous I’m sure. I figure 50 percent of people that buy trucks rarely use the bed. They pay more money and get worse fuel mileage than a very well equipped car. The total cost of ownership is much higher compared to a car. At least once a month I see someone’s kid stumbling out of or struggling to get in one. Instead of making trucks more durable, they make like a car. Logic in vehicle buying, there’s very little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My dad just moved on from his dakota v8 that he had for almost 20 years. It was the cab and a half (no back doors, but small bench seat) and it had a longer bed than my current CC. That truck was everything he wanted, but it was tired. He came to the same conclusions you did. Instead of paying more for less truck, he found a close-out 2018 Ram double cab, standard bed that is equipped close to mine, for significantly less than I paid for mine new. 

The big 3 only care about selling volume to the majority of customers that will spend the most money.

1 hour ago, gearheadesw said:

Small garage, trail machine, parks easier, more agile, better in traffic, there's a couple.....

You could also go buy one of the 4 different SUVs that every auto maker offers then. Most of them are also capable of towing a 3,000 lb trailer and have AWD.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gearheadesw said:

Small garage, trail machine, parks easier, more agile, better in traffic, there's a couple.....

You do have a couple of good points/pros there for the mid-size truck. 

About two years ago, I came very close to buying a new 2016 Colorado; I drove a couple, and brought one home to drive over the weekend. I had a 2004 Silverado double-cab I bought new and has been the best truck I ever owned. I struggled with the thought of buying the smaller truck. Y'all are right, the price is about the same as the full-size, with maybe a few $ less if that on the Colorado. 

The Colorado did seem to have ample room inside compared to my 04 full-size. Length wise it was about the same length. It was narrower but about the same height as the 04 silverado. Yea, it was smaller than the 04 Silverado, but not by much. I must say, however, and I know this is trivial, but I like the gear shifter on the column rather than the console; always have.

To make a long story short, I decided against the Colorado after the dealer was supposed to get another Colorado in a different color from another dealer and that fell through after they assured me they could get it and I paid a down payment/earnest money in advance. But that is part of the longer story. After that bad experience, I didn't visit another dealer for 2 years.  

I decided to buy a new 2018 Silverado LT Crew-Cab after Christmas to get in on the end of year discounts. I got the full size truck comparably equipped with V8 for pretty much the same price of the 2016 Colorado CC with V6. Yea, the Silverado is bigger and bulkier, harder to park in a parking lot, but it sure does ride and drive good, and had LOTS of power, and better gas mileage than the smaller Colorado V6 would have been...

I still, however, like the size and added agility of the Colorado. But the more truck for same money philosophy helped me make a choice.    

Edited by Farmer_2

Shopping used in some instances yes, prices can be pretty close, but new even with discounts (you can save 8 grand off a new canyon denali) midsize trucks off a significant savings and all the other benefits and appeal that come along with the smaller truck. As someone else has said the size while at first might not seem like much really is a big decrease in size and makes all the difference in a 2 car garage. Lets just look at size and pricing...

Mid size trucks apples to apples (CC short bed 4wd) and same packages (xlt to xlt) are less. The trucks are 90% of the size of the full size trucks (232" LOA vs 210") and prices are 80% of the full sizers (Ranger XLT CC 4wd starts at $35.3k and the same F150 XLT 4wd CC short bed starts at $43.7k). You can load up a Ranger to about 50k where an F150 can get to about $70k which is an even larger price gap of 71%. Even with discounts the smaller truck isn't the same price as the full sizers. Used they get much closer as does everything but you also have to remember the midsize trucks tend to hold their value a little better and haven't been out as long in some cases (GM twins, Ranger, etc).

Either way I went full size this time because when I bought my truck the Colorado's had just come out and they weren't dealing on them anymore and I got more truck for about the same price on a left over 2014 (this was 2015). While I like my truck a lot I will go mid size next time. My old mans CC LB Canyon is fantastic, it drives much better than my truck, has more bed space, is more maneuverable and fits much better in my garage. It will tow  anything I want (the boat I am looking at, car on the trailer, etc) and can hold people pretty comfortably in the back for the somewhat rare times I need it. Yes the full size comes in handy a few times but a mid size is much more appealing in most other cases. 

Now that I have done it one (been the guy you talked about) now I wonder the opposite now that prices are more in line (mostly talking new). Why would someone buy the wrong truck (a full size when they are looking for a mid size) just because you think you are getting more for less? Either way you are spending more and when it comes time to sell years down the road might be worth the same or less than the midsize. 

Just for some concrete numbers, same dealer, you can save 8.6k on a 49k canyon denali for 40.5k or you can save 11k on a 69k sierra denali for 58k. That is spending nearly 20k more... Yes later in the year or a few down the road you might be able to save 22-25% and get it close to 50k but it still is another 10k, and all that saved money doesn't help when it comes time to sell it down the road. Food for thought.

Tyler

Around here, Colorados and especially Canyons are in short supply.  So if you want one, you have to order one or pay close to the sticker price.  But there are always several Silverados and Sierras that have been sitting on the lot for a while, especially the '19s, so you can get a deal on them.  

The main appeal of a midsize truck for my family is to have a truck (crew cab 4x4 with a short bed), not a SUV with AWD, that will fit in a normal garage with space to walk around it with the garage door down.  

I recently traded in my Loaded at the time 2017 TRD Off Road Doublecab Tacoma for a 2016 Double cab Z71 Silverado with low mileage because the gas mileage was shit, the infotainment system was extremely behind and my Wife's 2018 LS Trax had better features for nearly half the cost new.

The only thing I miss about the Taco was the reliability and it's trailriding abilities. It was basically a four door Jeep with a bed. While the Silverado is a battleship in regards to turn radius, but I needed more cab space, more bed space and I love the 5.3L V8 compared to the 3.5L akinson cycle V6.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

If I ever get rid of my toy hauler I plan to downsize to a Colorado ZR2 with the diesel.  They are awesome little trucks and should have no problem pulling my 18' flatbed with all my toys on it.  Tuned they make some really impressive power

Or the Ranger Raptor if it makes it to the US.  As of now though its current motor is BS and not really peaking my interest

• Like 1

To me, full size to mid size comparison, is apples to oranges, to me.

When someone wants a mid sized truck, that's what they are looking for, a smaller physically, truck, with smaller capacities and dimensions, to do smaller jobs. If 1,200 lbs is all you'll be putting in the truck, why get something that holds 2 thousand and tows 9,000 lbs if that's just not in the game plan. I ran tacoma for years, GASP !!, great little trucks, just not designed to haul all the crap I was asking it to haul.

If I was still in the mid sized market, I too, would be looking at the ZR2 diesel, not fast or a strong tower, but off road and trail fun, getting that tent way the F out there, yeah, no full size going to make that without loosing paint. 

Easier to drive and park in the city. My friend's CCSB Colorado is the longest truck that would fit in his garage.

My cousin went with a CCLB Colorado for his work truck because he prefers to drive a lighter truck, he drives by himself, it will haul the 500 lbs of tools he needs, Silverado 1500 didn't have a diesel option when he was buying and he has a one ton if he needs more truck. 

Edited by Cpl_Punishment
Added info about my cousin's truck