Mid-sized truck logic?

Well I went from a midsize to full size. I owned a 2016 Colorado CC SB. What I liked about It was easier to fit in parking lots/garage/gas mileage. It did lack interior space for Pets/ Kid but it was doable. Also with our camper it wasn’t pleasant to haul around but again it was doable.

I probably would still have it if it wasn’t a POS. Lots of quality issues with it and I couldn’t take it!

Ended up finding a Used 17’ Silverado CC SB with next to no miles on it, optioned the way I would want it if I would have ordered one. Downside it barely fits in the garage and it’s like turning a boat in parking lots. Gas mileage is about 2.5 mpg off the Colorado. 

If the next house has a smaller garage or we sell the camper I’d probably go back to Midsize. I might get kicked for this but I do like the gladiator just with a diesel option.

I had a 2017 Colorado LT Z71 Crew Cab 3.6 V6 4x4 for a couple of months... In the end I just couldn't get used to it.. Mainly the driving position sucked for me but, really I just didn't like the looks or the ride much either... If it had an 8 way power seat I might still have it but, I would never buy one again... The fullsize trucks just suit me better...

Edited by Imcrazy

Incentives are slowly getting better for mid size trucks, it just took a few years on market for things to slow down. Like every other truck, they jumped $10k when loan terms went to 84 and 96 month options without adding anything to justify that cost increase. But it's hard to hate the Colorado/Ranger/Tacoma size trucks, they do everything well that 95% of trucks owners need done. I'd be driving one now if the dollars made sense, I got a more capable truck for less money but had the pricing been different I could see myself in a midsize. This is the same argument guys who tow their boat twice a year make about why they didn't buy a "wimpy" 1500.

I went truck shopping last month after my Silverado got totaled. I went to the dealer with intent to buy an ‘18 Sierra Altitude. I came home with a ‘19 Colorado. It was quieter, rode better, felt quicker, 7000lb tow rating, fits in my smallish garage, and is easier to park. In my area its tough to find spot for a fullsize on a Friday night. It was a tough decision but the “mid size” ticked more boxes . Having had an s10 as a kid and a 1st gen Colorado, the new Colorado is not the economy shit box it used to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Druder said:

Incentives are slowly getting better for mid size trucks, it just took a few years on market for things to slow down. Like every other truck, they jumped $10k when loan terms went to 84 and 96 month options without adding anything to justify that cost increase. But it's hard to hate the Colorado/Ranger/Tacoma size trucks, they do everything well that 95% of trucks owners need done. I'd be driving one now if the dollars made sense, I got a more capable truck for less money but had the pricing been different I could see myself in a midsize. This is the same argument guys who tow their boat twice a year make about why they didn't buy a "wimpy" 1500.

Same here. I was originally looking at Tacoma’s before considering a 1/2 ton, had the price made more sense I can honestly say I would probably be driving around in a Taco right now.. but in the end, I just couldn’t bring myself to pay more for less. I’m very satisfied with my Silverado.

Yeah, I don’t know why anyone buys them. The full size trucks are such high volume and so competitive that it brings down the prices.

I mean after you look at incentives, if you price out the trucks the same, you are getting way way more truck with 1/2 ton. The 1/2 tons also have much better motors in them. I’d take a 5.3 over the v6 any day. Probably the same gas mileage too. 

I mean for the price of a diesel colorado I’m pretty sure you could get an slt with a 6.2.

If there is a physical limitation such as garage space, sure, but otherwise, full size all the way

Edited by truckguy82

I owned a Tacoma before my 2017 Silverado.. I had the Taco for 10 years/185k miles.. It was the most trouble free vehicle I ever owned.. Other than a couple of front brake jobs, a muffler and regular maintenance, I had zero problems.. The only reason I went FULL size is because I plan on getting a boat this year.  

1 hour ago, truckguy82 said:

Yeah, I don’t know why anyone buys them. The full size trucks are such high volume and so competitive that it brings down the prices.

I mean after you look at incentives, if you price out the trucks the same, you are getting way way more truck with 1/2 ton. The 1/2 tons also have much better motors in them. I’d take a 5.3 over the v6 any day. Probably the same gas mileage too. 

I mean for the price of a diesel colorado I’m pretty sure you could get an slt with a 6.2.

If there is a physical limitation such as garage space, sure, but otherwise, full size all the way

Because model for model with the incentives on the Mid size trucks now you are saving close to 10 grand. The gas mileage is around 3 mpg better overall than a 5.3 (even more so than the 6.2). The 3.6 is about as quick as the 5.3 and the 3.6 has been proven reliable (look how many different vehicles it is in). You get 90% of the size and capability for about 80% of the price. A CC LB mid size truck is about perfect. Longer bed than my CC SB Silverado yet fits much better in the garage and parking spaces. Not to mention the mid size trucks ride much better as they were designed to handle more like a CUV to take some of those customers. As mentioned in an earlier post which I noted some of the same info if they had deals on the midsizers when I bought (they had just came out) I would have had one. My next truck will be a midsize as it will tow and haul everything I need (car trailer, 24 foot boat, etc) and will fit easier on the trails (haven't scraped my truck yet knock on wood but I am off to New Mexico in July). There are numerous reasons to buy one, quite frankly I can't see why so many buy full size trucks, I bet many are ego purchases as most don't use the actual capabilities (partial or full). 

Tyler

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, amxguy1970 said:

Because model for model with the incentives on the Mid size trucks now you are saving close to 10 grand. The gas mileage is around 3 mpg better overall than a 5.3 (even more so than the 6.2). The 3.6 is about as quick as the 5.3 and the 3.6 has been proven reliable (look how many different vehicles it is in). You get 90% of the size and capability for about 80% of the price. A CC LB mid size truck is about perfect. Longer bed than my CC SB Silverado yet fits much better in the garage and parking spaces. Not to mention the mid size trucks ride much better as they were designed to handle more like a CUV to take some of those customers. As mentioned in an earlier post which I noted some of the same info if they had deals on the midsizers when I bought (they had just came out) I would have had one. My next truck will be a midsize as it will tow and haul everything I need (car trailer, 24 foot boat, etc) and will fit easier on the trails (haven't scraped my truck yet knock on wood but I am off to New Mexico in July). There are numerous reasons to buy one, quite frankly I can't see why so many buy full size trucks, I bet many are ego purchases as most don't use the actual capabilities (partial or full). 

Tyler

They are cheaper than I thought now, I just looked them up. Ok so 80% of the price is fair. They do get better gas mileage than I thought according to the epa. So you were correct about that as well.

90% of the capability? Nah

Just look at the backseat room crew cab vs crew cab. The full size has mercedes s-class leg room and the midsize has like honda civic legroom.

The interiors are considerably nicer in the full size.

They obviously can’t deal with even close to the same weights.

IMO, more like 80% of the price and 70% of the truck. With the volume of production of the 1/2 tons that should be no surprise that the full size is more truck for the money. Volume brings down costs.

But I can see how they are popular. Last time I looked at pricing they were closer. When they are similar in price it’s a joke to buy a midsize.

My doublecab Silverado has a few more inches in leg room than my doublecab (largest cab) Tacoma did and with considerably more width as well. Even in the front seats, I'm not on top of my wife when she's in the passenger seat of the Silverado, like she was before when we would both be in the Tacoma.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I probably should buy the Colorado.  I don't tow/haul that much, and when I do, it's something bulky, not heavy.

But I just can't bring myself to do it for the price.  I'm also a big dude, and I prefer the 'size' of the Silverado's cabin.  

My wife's grandfather bought a new Colorado in 2007/2008, simply since he always drove S10's, and liked that size of truck.  Just couldn't bring himself to buying a car.  But it cost more than my 2007 Silverado did at the time.  

Edited by Nick The Great

As far as price point goes, that is (in part) the reason Ford discontinued the Ranger in North America awhile back. You end up paying full-size prices for a small truck. With the news that Ford (and most likely GM) will stop making passenger cars, there is a "new" market for small trucks and SUV's, now the Blazer is coming back, along with the Ranger and Bronco from Ford.

I have one of every size. The GMC Canyon is by far the best "metro-consumer" truck. Its small, compact, but you still feel as if it is larger than an old Ranger or Canyon/rado, its better on gas than my half tons, 1.5mpg better than the 5.3L and 3mpg better than my 6.2L and 8mpg better than my 2500. Its easier to drive in the cities, perfect vehicle for my wife as she can load her own kayak or take the garbage to the dump without needing to drive my big trucks. She went from a Buick Enclave to the truck and wont go back to a CUV. But for me, as a truck guy since 16 years old, it just wouldn't cut it for what I need a truck to do. For 95% of most people, and 99% of city dwellers, it is more than enough truck, and a better suited daily than a 1500. 

Another thing to consider is the prices, an 2018 SLT Canyon sells for the same price a 2013 SLT Sierra did. They are also really hot trucks in the used market for this reason as a lot of people still cant afford a $40-50k 1/4ton. If they are popular in the used market they will drive up the used values. In fact, we had a dealer phone us from a neighboring city 5 hours away trying to buy this Canyon from us because their used market was doing so well. Same story with the Tacoma's, my company works as a sub for an environmentalist, Toyota just bought back his Tacoma for $15k less than he paid for it 4 years earlier and got him in a new one for the same payment terms. I think the 1/4 ton used market is much more desirable because there are less trucks overall. They are harder to find when you WANT a 1/4ton. Go to any dealer right now, you will see 25 used 1500's on the lot and maybe 2-3 1/4t's. 

Edited by L86 All Terrain