Mid-sized truck logic?

On 5/20/2019 at 7:02 AM, Snowcamo said:

Toyota has built rep for reliability over the years, while the Colorado caters to the old s10 mini truck crowd is how I see it.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

the new toyota tacomas are garbage. they have lots of issues.

Would you pay $61K for this? :loser:

Untitled-1.png

A guy can land a fully optioned AT4 with 6.2 or in the right scenario, even a Denali for less.

A Colorado ZR2 would be a fitting mid size truck alternative at a cheaper price as well.

Edited by Sierra Dan

Pointless argument. I wouldn’t pay 61K for any vehicle. But you could get that for a lot cheaper in different configurations. The reviews are positive on this. Some people think it’s worth the money. Usually people who pay those outrageous prices are winners and that’s not a lot of money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

26 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Would you pay $61K for this? :loser:

A guy can land a fully optioned AT4 with 6.2 or in the right scenario, even a Denali for less.

A Colorado ZR2 would be a fitting mid size truck alternative at a cheaper price as well.

Ignoring the cost for a moment...

The Gladiator was on my radar, back when I was still in my Canyon, contemplating my next truck.  I decided to buy before the Gladiator was available, so I did not get the chance to give it a test drive, or serious consideration.  But, ultimately the short, narrow, shallow bed kills it for me.  The truck / wheelbase is so long, but somehow the bed is only 5ft.  That's just not very much bed volume. 

The looks are a little awkward, not exactly a home run there either. 

To answer your question, no I would not pay $61k for a Gladiator Rubicon.  If shopping for a Gladiator, I would definitely be in the Sport S trim level.

the new toyota tacomas are garbage. they have lots of issues.
I bet. Sucks man. I guess who ever buys one will find out after. Honestly i cant think of a vehicle that doesnt have issues

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

12 hours ago, BoilerUP said:

The Colorado safely pulled a 32.5', 6100lb dry travel trailer within all placarded limits (GVWR, GCWR, RAWRR) when loaded with my family and ready for a weekend camping.

You were WAY over weight.  If you have a 50 gallon water tank, that's 400lbs right there.  Tow rating is an empty truck with driver only.  You wife, kids, and dog sound like another 250+ on their own.  Coolers, camping gear, food, etc and you are way over the 7000lb tow limit.  It all adds up quick.  

2 minutes ago, Nitrousbird said:

You were WAY over weight.  If you have a 50 gallon water tank, that's 400lbs right there.  Tow rating is an empty truck with driver only.  You wife, kids, and dog sound like another 250+ on their own.  Coolers, camping gear, food, etc and you are way over the 7000lb tow limit.  It all adds up quick.  

No I wasn’t, and I have the scale slips to prove it.

32.5’ trailer with a Colorado is nuts. 

Lets see those weight slips. 

My 4407 pound dry trailer weighs out at 5008 with water, food, gear, and beer. 

With my family, dog, generator and extra water in my 1500 Crewcab 4x4 my total weight is 5896. 

=10,904 pounds combined. The truck is rated for 15000 GCWR. 

=72% of capacity. It feels like it is at 90% capacity. 

You are over that with your Colorado. The GCWR of the Colorado is 12,000. 

Edited by Bikemobile

I had Duramaxes for 15 years and rarely towed anything. Two years ago wife talked me into a 2017 Colorado Midnight Z71 long bed crew can edition with the 3.6. It was not bad as a daily driver.  It parked easily and was a sporty driver.  When I ordered my lathe the Colorado had to go.  It only had 1000lbs of payload available with me, a full tank of gas, and the Bak Revolver.  

My current truck is a 2018 Silverado 4x4 Double Cab Std Bed 5.3 with the max tow package.  I have 1800 lbs of payload in the same configuration as the Colorado. It gets 1-2 MPG worse but has much better acceleration.  Also, I don’t constantly get complimented  by the kids on my cool truck.  The Colorado was kind on embarrassing for me to drive.

Edited by INTJ

I just so happened to spend a couple hours riding with someday in a 2018 Colorado yesterday.  It's a 2018, crew cab, LTZ. 

I'm glad I didn't go that direction for my 2017 Silverado.  There was just two guys in it, and we each had sufficient room.  We are both kinda tall, but there was zero leg room in that back seat.  No way that a car seat, or partially grown adult would fit in there.  

For him, it's a work vehicle, and it's fine for that.  The back seat is solely used for "storage."  

10 hours ago, Bikemobile said:

32.5’ trailer with a Colorado is nuts. 

Lets see those weight slips. 

My 4407 pound dry trailer weighs out at 5008 with water, food, gear, and beer. 

With my family, dog, generator and extra water in my 1500 Crewcab 4x4 my total weight is 5896. 

=10,904 pounds combined. The truck is rated for 15000 GCWR. 

=72% of capacity. It feels like it is at 90% capacity. 

You are over that with your Colorado. The GCWR of the Colorado is 12,000. 

j2HgK1D.png

This is the slip with truck, full tank of gas, me, WDH, camper with battery and two full propane tanks, normal camping stuff (hoses, etc) in the forward storage and 2/3 full fresh water tank.  I would not normally tow with anything in the tanks, so that's 200lb that would be immediately shed shed from the tow slip weight.

GVWR is 6,000, GCWR is 12,000, GAWRF is 3200, GAWRR is 3500, truck's placarded payload was 1447lb.

I don't camp with 100lb of firewood, a generator, multiple full cans of water/gasoline, or a full Yeti 110.

Wife and two young kids are 250lb total; bedding, clothes and food for three nights wouldn't be anywhere close to another 250lb but let's say it was; I'm still 300lb under GCWR which means I've got a little margin to play with.

Is it close?  Yes, and that's one reason why I upgraded to a Silverado 1500...but it is not over.

In my profession, I'm used to going *right to* manufacturer weight limits but never over, because in my industry doing so could cost me my career at best and my life at worst...and will never understand folks on the internet making assumptions that everybody pulling a camper packs the exact  same way they do.

I posted a side by side of my 92-14 DC. The 14 looks gigantic. We get it’s smaller. I for one hated the elimination the extended cab. The 1/2 ton trucks look like your using a jack hammer to drive a thumb tac. For a personal use an extended cab mid size fits the bill. With the 3.6 ( according to reviews I’ve read) its pretty quick. GM has pretty much has eliminated the personal use p/u. You can’t load up the single cab full size unless you go 4WD. You can the mid size, and much cheaper than the full sized in some configurations. When I haul people a pickup isn’t my first option. My full size car is. We can leave the step ladder at home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Differing perspectives are always interesting.  I like it that my 2018 half ton, with a payload of 2200ish and a GVWR of 7600 lbs, 355 HP and 380ish ft lbs; has the capacity of the 3/4 ton trucks of a couple decades ago.  

I like it that a 33” tall tire fits with plenty of clearance with no suspension lift. I love the double cab as it provides easy access for stuff I don’t want to put in the back.  I would rather have a long bed, but a double cab standard bed is very easy to maneuver in the tight parking lots of a PNW city and is also easy to turn around on a one-lane logging road.  

I might consider a midsize if the wife and I didn't want kids and a travel trailer. The primary advantage for me would be the fact that it would actually fit in my garage. The Chevy website says a Colorado LT 4x4 ECLB would be ~$6k less than a Silverado RST 4x4 DC (obviously excluding discounts or incentives at the dealer) and it would haul camping gear better than my wife's Corolla and tow my dad's boat with no trouble. At one point, the Colorado was also available in my wife's favourite shade of green, though they seem to have dropped that option for 2019.