2019 TrailBoss Rotors & Brake pads

Braided stainless brake lines would help more than the rotors for normal every day driving. If your rotors are overheating there's slotted and cross drilled rotors but there are drawbacks to both of those. They will rust much faster. Both will me nosier (especially the slotted rotors). The cross drilled rotors have a tendency to crack between the holes.

Personally, if I was looking to upgrade I'd go with the GMPP 6 piston Brembo's and stainless braided brake lines. That should be all the stopping power you should ever need for these trucks on the street...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On 6/13/2019 at 4:54 PM, TrailDemon said:

I still wish to upgrade rotors at least to improve stoping power

run sticky tires, stock rotors, EBC racing pads, and the 17"x9" police Tahoe rims , all these will improve your stopping power. after that you need to modify the brake bias valve for more rear braking action.  

the bigger rotors and bigger wheels will kill your stopping power

Edited by flyingfool

I disagree about larger rotors killing your stopping power. Bigger wheels yes. Bigger rotors no.

A big brake kit will not increase the stopping power of a vehicle or decrease its stopping distance due to the physics involved.  A larger brake pad will only spread out the clamping force of the brake caliper over a greater area.   The brake pad will always retain the same amount of friction between pad and rotor regardless of any increase in brake pad surface area.  This is because the coefficient of friction law does not rely on the surface area of the materials involved; only with the type of materials involved.

If you do happen to heat up a brake pad to its critical point, whether it is a stock or bigger than stock brake pad, parts of the pad will actually liquefy or melt and cause what is called glazing.  This melted brake pad material will actually crystalize when reforming, and create a “glaze” on the brake pad and rotor.   This glazing will severely hamper the performance of a braking system, and will cause symptoms such as vibration or braking jitter, and or cracks or fissures in the brake rotors themselves. 

By utilizing more brake pad material, you can increase the heat capacity of the brake pads and raise the bar for this glazing effect to happen.

Per GM's website "the Front 6-Piston Brembo[emoji2400] Brake Upgrade System in Red provides an impressive 89% increase in brake pad area to help increase system thermal capacity and a 22% increase in rotor area over the stock brakes."

anytime you add more mass it will be more difficult to slow down the wheel. bigger rotors have more mass and enertia. thus your shocks work harder and the handling sux, as well as braking suffers.

I've seen tuner BMW's with stock rotors, while a tuner version includes a special bracket that moves the calipers further out on the swept area of the rotor to increase the stopping power..

Edited by flyingfool

If bigger rotors hurt your ability to stop then they wouldn't be cramming the largest brakes possible on Corvettes and all the hyper cars or any of the race teams the race teams. Unless you're somehow smarter than all these engineers...

19 hours ago, BringTheRain403 said:

If bigger rotors hurt your ability to stop then they wouldn't be cramming the largest brakes possible on Corvettes and all the hyper cars or any of the race teams the race teams. Unless you're somehow smarter than all these engineers...

yeah they are going around a track and DON'T make complete stops, they carry momentum, and need heat resistance so they can maintain constant deceleration for the race duration. those brilliant engineers also designed the smaller brakes on your daily driver buddy...

Yea that's a cost thing on daily drivers brother. I agree with you on the bigger wheels but not the rotors. Won't ever convince me otherwise. If you were adding weight with no other benefit then yes I agree but you are increasing the surface area by quite a of both the rotors and the pads. In the case of the GMPP kit the rotor area is increased by 22% and the brake pad area is increased by 89%.

On 6/14/2019 at 7:39 PM, scdaren said:

Can rotors improve stopping power generally? The only thing I've heard is rotors that distribute heat better, so they don't overheat under extreme conditions. But that only is going to make a difference with heavy towing on grades, or if you are doing track days in your truck. 

GM rotors and pads are pretty decent...low noise, extremely low dust and great pad life.  Aftermarket EBC Rotors and pads will absolutely improve stopping power.  Yes, you will have less pad life, more dust and slight noise when coming from 60-0mph stops etc.  But the difference is beyond noticeable it can save you from buying warped rotors from major overheating issues otherwise you can replace with OEM and have same issues 30K later warped rotors.  Much has to do with improper braking techniques etc. but mainly the material and properties play the role....I have settled on EBC myself.  I can't warp these rotors or maybe I can with much work but it would take 3X times the insane braking as OEM plus the pads don't blow out or crumble with the objectionable heat and result in scoring etc.  

So yeah...I will take the 30% better stopping power/distance.  Non warping rotors and Pads that are slightly dirtier and last 10K less than OEM.  It does look like the Extra Duty's I am running will last comparable 40-50K to OEM's  I would not even think about having anything different than EBC's for the money.