2019 5.3/8speed vs 6.2/10speed worth it?

2 hours ago, GMC-AT said:

My 8 speed in my RST is butter smooth. I never understood the obsession everyone has with more gears.  My 2016 was a 6.2/ 8 speed...  it was also butter. 

Cant argue the 6.2 is nice ... but I will say I don't miss it. The 5.3 trucks this year are faster than ever... and to be honest I can't tell a huge difference from this truck and my 2016 6.2 (which was tuned btw) 

I have driven a T1 with the 8speed and 5.3 too.  I will say it's pretty dang good!  The power and responsiveness is night and day vs the K2's 5.3?  Crazy because the T1's 5.3 8speed feels like the 6.2L on K2's......I guess I would have no reason now to go 6.2L either.....

• Like 2

I am happy to hear so people are pleased with their 5.3/8speed. I probably don’t need 6.2/10speed either. Just concerned about the negative press in 8 speed. I am sure there are a lot of happy campers out there and the unhappy tend to chime in on the forums more. Since I want the standard bed, cloth, buckets and Bose the RST z71 fits my want list fine. My dealer says he can order what I want for $10K below MSRP. I plan to drive the 5.3 and 6.2 back to back and then decide.

• Like 3

I have an rst, z71 5.3 8 spd. I have no trans shifting problems. I would have loved a 6.2 but 10 grand more to move up to ltz was just to much and I liked the looks of the rst better. Not a chrome fan. Prior I drove a 16 5.3 8sp and it was more abrupt shifting but never really bothered me, it's a truck with a heavy trans, should shift hard. Idk, my 19 is pretty smooth. I will say the 16 was faster with the 3.43 gears. Or felt faster? Good luck buddy.

Just traded up 2015 silver 5.3/6 to a 6.2/10. The 2015 did have a sweet engine; a high rev-er and power with nearly zero engine vibration. Also enjoyed the 20" wheels which were amazing on on/off highway ramps lol. What was fussy was the 6 speed transmission vs. axle gear ratios; had to toggle thru the gears on the back roads or it would bogg down up-shifting to 5th/6th (below 40mph). i.e. the engine RPMs vs. shift points; maybe this could have been tweaked but if pegged it to the floor it would most likely skip 2 gear: jump 1st to 3rd. The 2015 did run/shift better when I first owned it but took it in for some silly recall, they flashed the computer memory, ugh.     

A 5.3/10 speed probably would be fine/fun if they can program in the multiple road conditions.

The new 6.2 is better all around; tho not easy to find one, our local dealer had 500 Silverado's [no exaggeration] and only six (6)  6.2s of the lot. Only one sport model, a Z71 which we drove home.  The shifting is the best so far - no toggling needed.  Incredibly quiet engine, easy to forget it is running.  

22 hours ago, mookdoc6 said:

I have driven a T1 with the 8speed and 5.3 too.  I will say it's pretty dang good!  The power and responsiveness is night and day vs the K2's 5.3?  Crazy because the T1's 5.3 8speed feels like the 6.2L on K2's......I guess I would have no reason now to go 6.2L either.....

I recently test drove both (6.2/10 & 5.3/8) and this was my impression.  I was very impressed with the 5.3/8 combo, maybe liked it more than the 6.2/10.  Much better than my current 2018 SLT PPP 5.3/8. I thought for sure I was going to a 2019 6.2/10 Denali but now I'm think 2019 5.3/8 SLT PPP.  No premium fuel and 10K less money, mostly all of the same features.

1 hour ago, TripleBGM said:

I recently test drove both (6.2/10 & 5.3/8) and this was my impression.  I was very impressed with the 5.3/8 combo, maybe liked it more than the 6.2/10.  Much better than my current 2018 SLT PPP 5.3/8. I thought for sure I was going to a 2019 6.2/10 Denali but now I'm think 2019 5.3/8 SLT PPP.  No premium fuel and 10K less money, mostly all of the same features.

Yup, exactly how I feel....the cost overall makes sense too!

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:27 PM, Snuff said:

Was getting very close to ordering RST Crew z71 Standard bed. A little concerned with all the negative reviews on the 8 speed although some owners seem pleased.

Choices (1) proceed as planned

(2) jump up to 2019 LTZ with 6.2/10speed

(3) wait for 2020 5.3/10speed

The problem with door #3 is no incentives for quite a while?

The other factor is I really prefer cloth in Texas and I plan to drive it 10 years.

Or wait until late this summer early fall and you can get your RST with a 6.2 and 10 speed :thumbs:

http://gmauthority.com/blog/2019/05/2020-chevrolet-silverado-gets-expanded-6-2l-v8-and-10-speed-transmission-availability/

1 hour ago, TripleBGM said:

Or just wait a few months to nab a 2020 SLT, where the 6.2L / A10 becomes an option for the new year. 

Yeah, Sierra Dan and I are thinking on the same wavelength. :D

• Like 1

I do like the idea of the 2020 RST with 10 speed 5.3 or 6.2 but dang iI hate to pay full price. For what it is worth - I visited 2 dealers in Houston today and talked to both service managers face to face. They both said that with the programming changes and fluid changes they are not having any issues with the 8 speed. They both said they would not have any problem buying a 2019 8 speed for their personal  vehicle. I explained to them my 3 options and they both said that unless I really needed the 6.2 that the 2019 5.3/8speed would be the Best Buy. I have to say it did ease my mind a bit more.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Snuff said:

I do like the idea of the 2020 RST with 10 speed 5.3 or 6.2 but dang iI hate to pay full price. For what it is worth - I visited 2 dealers in Houston today and talked to both service managers face to face. They both said that with the programming changes and fluid changes they are not having any issues with the 8 speed. They both said they would not have any problem buying a 2019 8 speed for their personal  vehicle. I explained to them my 3 options and they both said that unless I really needed the 6.2 that the 2019 5.3/8speed would be the Best Buy. I have to say it did ease my mind a bit more.

To ease your mind even further, I haven't had one service appointment for my 2019 RST with the 5.3L DFM / A8. I have 2200 on it now, after buying it 26 March. (truck was built 2 Feb 2019). 

The transmission is running more smoothly than ever, and seems to continue to be smoother the more miles I put on it. 

That's just my experience, however. Did I have some hard shifts the first 1000 miles? Yes. At that time, there were no TSBs addressing any fluid changes, etc., so I opted to just keep driving it. Seems to have worked itself out for me, but I've always been comforted to know I could take it in for the fluid changes / reprogramming if needed. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I also went with the 5.3 , I thought about the 6.2 till I found out you had to feed it 93 octane. I had no issues with the last 2

5.3 ive own  and the 2019 even has more hp at 255 and another 10 hp with the performance pkg

I ordered basic denali with std bed with performance pkg  and power assist running boards

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 7:27 PM, Snuff said:

Was getting very close to ordering RST Crew z71 Standard bed. A little concerned with all the negative reviews on the 8 speed although some owners seem pleased.

Choices (1) proceed as planned

(2) jump up to 2019 LTZ with 6.2/10speed

(3) wait for 2020 5.3/10speed

The problem with door #3 is no incentives for quite a while?

The other factor is I really prefer cloth in Texas and I plan to drive it 10 years.

As for me , never again a 5.3. 6.2 or change brands.

I just built on line a LTZ, 6.2 with just an LTZ plus package, z-71 and the $1, 000 dollar upgrade 20 inch wheels and it was MSRP of $55,000. You can always change out the drivers seat for cloth after market. I am in South Texas and I am OK with leather and will not go back to cloth. I added sunroof, upgraded jute box and I think it hit $57,000.

So order the LTZ before the cut off date and take it if the incentives are good when it comes in. Do not fall for the BS of you ordered it you have to take it crap. Just find a dealer that will order because you are interested. Never deal with a dealer that wants a deposit to order.  They can sell such a truck in a heart beat.

I've never regretted buying the bigger motor... I went from 4.3L V6 to 5.3L V8 when I went from my '14 GMC to my '16 Chevy... On my next truck I'm seriously considering an LTZ w/ a 6.2 IF I buy a new truck, doubt I'll find one used....

I can't speak for the 10 speed but, I liked the 8 speed in the 3.6L Colorado I drove for a couple of months and I like the 9 speed in my wife's 2018 Equinox 2.0T.

Edited by Imcrazy

The 10-speed is in all honestly one of the best transmissions I've ever had in a vehicle. The mapping is way better than what Ford has in their 10-speed (which is the exact same transmission BTW). It's worth the price of admission folks...

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

On ‎2019‎-‎05‎-‎22 at 1:37 PM, Snuff said:

they both said that unless I really needed the 6.2 that the 2019 5.3/8speed would be the Best Buy. I have to say it did ease my mind a bit more.

I believe the "need" for a 6.2  is measured in terms of fun factors.  You  will not lack in functionality with the 5.3.  If you need the extra horsepower of the 6.2 over the 5.3 to pull a load then you should be in a heavier truck.  The initial cost of the larger engine and the ongoing higher cost at the pump needs to be weighed against your other financial priorities.    If the personal enjoyment derived from the extra costs is a top priority then go for it but don't justify it as a "need".

• Like 1