Infamous Steering Rack noise & Lift Kits

I bought a ‘16 Sierra about a year ago and immediately put a top mount 2.5” leveling kit on it. Every since I’ve had the infamous steering rack “pop & clunk” at low speeds. Well I had a upper control arm cam plate snap on me this weekend so I’m fixing to have to get the truck realigned. I’m debating on removing the leveling kit to get rid of the noise while I’m at it but hate the stock look.

So has anyone had this issue with the rack and installed a true “drop lift” like the mcgaughys that doesn’t use a spacer and the noise not come back. I’m debating on going ahead and ordering the 7-9 kit and installing it because everything I’ve read is that the noise almost always comes from having a top mount lift spacer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have an Fabtech 2” top mount leveling kit installed on my 18 Silverado Crewcab. 

Bought it from our GM dealer, and had it installed by them. No difference with stock ride, no sounds or vibration. And no negative affect to GM’s warranty. The work they did other than the install, was wheel alignment and they adjusted a very slight reduction of the turning circle. They also adjusted the headlights.  

They advised me that 2” was the absolute max to go for a leveling kit without causing problems..

Not sure if my truck had the same issue as yours but I had a popping/creaking noise develope on my 17 after 30k miles. I had a 2.25" level the entire time. Dealer ended up replacing the entire steering rack under warranty. Also noticed a sticker I never saw on the original rack and the paperwork said they updated the software. I'm guessing the new electric power steering has software that can be updated. I could definitely tell that the steering felt tighter when I got the truck back. The popping/creaking noise stayed gone for 4k miles and I recently installed a 7" lift. 1500 miles later and still no noise.277e3d9ec2dc2ad345c81495f1b52909.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 2 years later...