2019 Silverado rim/tire outside diameters, calculated.

Call me crazy, but with the increased size of the cab and bed, the stock tires strike me as looking quite small in the wheel wells. It really looks like it could use a tire with another 1 or 2" of diameter. The effect seems to be worse with pictures taken with wide angle lenses, as it makes the tire most distant in the picture look very small.  But they look small in person too. I did some calculating: 

Stock 17" rim on an LT truck--255 70R17 for an OD of 31.1"

Stock 18" rim on an LT truck--265 65R18, for an OD of 31.6"

18" Trail boss rims--275 65R18,  for an OD of 31.6"

20" Trail boss rims--275 60R20, for an OD of 33"

20" argent metallic rims (optional on non trail boss models)--275 60R20, for an OD of 33"

On my 2016 K2 silverado, the stock 18" rim had a standard tire size of 265 65 R18, OD 31.6". 

Is the wheel well just bigger? That stock 17" rim/tire combo looks awfully small in there. I think the 20" rim  with a 33" OD looks perfect. 

Edited by protovack

Actually, the sidewall and o.d. on the 20's and 22's increased on the '19's. The 20's are now 275/60/20 (was 275/55/20) and the 22's are now 275/50/22 (was 284/45/22). I love the round '19 Silverado fender wells and better than the '14-'18 trucks. I don't however like the "sim card" looking wells on the '19 Sierra. Would've looked better either rectangular or round and not that hidious design.  There was more fender to tire gap on the previous gen trucks than the '19's.

I liked the look of the 20s on my last truck but I felt like they hurt the ride. My new one has the standard 18s and even with the Max Towing suspension I like the ride a lot better. Ya pays your money and you takes your choice ... 

This is part of the reason that I got the Z71 on my RST... because the AT 275/20 tires fit the size of the truck better. The tires they are putting on the 20" with just the 4x4 package look palty, IMO. 

And yeah, the 18's just look way too small. I agree there. But the 18"s on the K2s looked too small to me, too. 

^^^

Adding Z71 package to an RST doesn't change the outside diameter of the wheel/tire. It just gives you all terrain tires, but they're the same size, outside diameter 31.6". 

Just now, protovack said:

^^^

Adding Z71 package to an RST doesn't change the outside diameter of the wheel/tire. It just gives you all terrain tires, but they're the same size, outside diameter 31.6". 

I realize that. The AT tires look better than the 4x4 tires, which usually are more street tires. E.g...

922aa34fbfaeaaf81f9855b87713d529.jpg

I guess I like tires with more of a sidewall profile, like the AT tires tend to have. 

One of the first things I did on my 2016 was put bigger tires on it... Just went up to 275 from a 265 but, it looks quite a bit better...

Edited by Imcrazy

It just bugs me that you can't spec a Silverado with 18" rims and a tire that gives the larger 33" outside diameter from the factory.  I don't want 20" rims. I want the 18's with a nice A/T tire on it that fills out the wheel well. And I don't really want to immediately take off my OEM tires and have to deal with selling them, right after I bought a brand new truck.  I'd also rather not deal with my speedometer being off.  It seems like GM is forcing you to step up to the 20" rims if you want the wheel wells to look filled out. 

Edited by protovack
  • Like 1