Roof water leak onto headliner

Hi folks,

Some time ago my wife asked me what the water stain was on the headliner on the driver's side of the truck. I had never noticed it - who looks up at the headliner after they get in there truck? Anyway, I figured it must be leaking around the clips that hold the "drip rail molding" in place. I bought new clips thinking I'd break the originals when I popped off the molding. I did wonder why the new clips weren't the type to actually push into holes.

So, I popped off the molding - BTW, slide the BACK of the molding up about 1/4"-1/2" and pry that end out with a plastic blade FIRST, then slide the entire mold rearward 1/4"-1/2" and pop that end up and off, then work your way back and pop the molding up and off the remaining one or two clips. This is important so as not to bend/kink the molding where it turns down over that back of the roof. The original clips did not break and could have been re-used.

I discovered that the roof panel was spot welded to the side panel when the truck was built. This seam was sealed with some caulking that had dried and cracked over the years and this was letting water in onto the headliner. I cleaned out all the dried caulking I could and cleaned up the couple of surface rust spots that were there. Then I ran a thin bead of Lexel sealant ( I think better than caulking or silicone) the full length of that seam. I let it set for 10-15 minutes or so and put on the new clips and popped the molding back on. It should last the life of the truck. https://www.sashco.com/products/lexel/ 

Cheers,

Glenn

IMG_20190320_183855a.jpg

IMG_20190320_183948a.jpg

IMG_20190320_184005a.jpg

IMG_20190320_185141a.jpg