8 speed is gone for 2020

Just now, DTB said:

Have to remember there is no 10 speed 2wd trans option yet, which is why the 6.2 is still limited to the 4wd models. 

Really? I didn't know that. I know it's the same as the Ford 10 spd except for the valve body. Unless they are trying to get folks to spend that extra 4-5k.

2 hours ago, texasaggies16 said:

And this is why you avoid the first model on a update.. lol

Funny you had mentioned that. I put a lot of consideration when I was buying this truck but then I remembered my 99 Silverado. First year with 5.3 and drove that thing till the bed rusted away. Then my parents 07 Tahoe 300k miles on the thing when they sold it. Point is either gm made better product back then or we might have a chance with these trucks to last and be reliable. 

• Like 1

In another post it explained that the 8-speed for the new T1 trucks has a new RPO code, meaning it's not the same one used in the K2s.  Same for the 10-speed if memory serves.  Different enough anyway.

Long live the 6L80/6L90 though!  

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, swathdiver said:

In another post it explained that the 8-speed for the new T1 trucks has a new RPO code, meaning it's not the same one used in the K2s.  Same for the 10-speed if memory serves.  Different enough anyway.

The 8 speed got a new torque converter design for the 2019's and up I believe. Perhaps the new torque converter can be used for the previous 8 speed? I also haven't really heard of people complaining of the 8 speeds in the Canyon/Colorado, though I don't see why it would be exempt from the same shifting characteristics. 10 speed is all new for GM and Ford, I haven't really heard anything negative on it as of yet (except from haters of one brand to the others involvement). The one truck I drove with it was really smooth and would downshift instantly when I wanted the power, unlike my 6l80.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Wayne3593 said:

The one truck I drove with it was really smooth and would downshift instantly when I wanted the power, unlike my 6l80.

My 6L80 has been tuned and grabs the right gear without lagging as it did before the tune.  That's been my favorite part of the BlackBear tune; what Justin did for transmission performance.

9 hours ago, Wayne3593 said:

Why keep the 6 speed though? I know it's only paired with the 4.3 V6 but one would think it might give them a leg up against fleet competitors as it should improve towing by a little bit. Offering the 10 speed at lower trims with the 5.3 is a good move except for the must select 4x4 part. Also glad to see the 6.2 going to lower trims finally. Guess it took Ram knocking them down to third place to wake up and become competitive lol

6 speed is used on the L82 5.3 as well for WT/Custom/Custom TB.  Cost.  6L80 has probably paid for itself by now, and it helps keep cost of entry lower.  The 8 may trickle down, or just get replaced all together at some point with the 10 speed.  Also, the 6L80 was re-tuned for T1 and is better than in K2. 

6 hours ago, swathdiver said:

Correct.  The big change was adding the CPVA torque converter like the 2.8 Duramax got to absorb unwanted powertrain vibrations.  DFM's lack of feeling can be attributed to the converter. 

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1

I remember people ragging the 700R4. I’ve had it behind two high performance vehicles. One a 454, my current 92 Chevy truck. It’s had a blower since new. Given some time the kinks get worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 minutes ago, KARNUT said:

I remember people ragging the 700R4. I’ve had it behind two high performance vehicles. One a 454, my current 92 Chevy truck. It’s had a blower since new. Given some time the kinks get worked out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I remember. I was one of those people having replaced on in the wife's Caprice several times. The I found a performance builder than knew more than replace broken parts and WOW!! That's a nice gear box when well sorted. I expect most of them will be given some time. :thumbs:

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 11:12 PM, DTB said:

Have to remember there is no 10 speed 2wd trans option yet, which is why the 6.2 is still limited to the 4wd models. 

Are you sure because you can get a ford f150 2wd with a 10 speed. I would think GM would have one also.

Gm plays heir

5 minutes ago, Gagliano7 said:

Are you sure because you can get a ford f150 2wd with a 10 speed. I would think GM would have one also.

Pretty dumb aint it ? 

This is why i like Ford when it comes to options/simplicity of options 

6 minutes ago, f8l vnm said:

Gm plays heir

Pretty dumb aint it ? 

This is why i like Ford when it comes to options/simplicity of options 

Ford also lets you get any of there motors in the lower trims and reg cab.

7 minutes ago, GJM32387 said:

My 19LT Trailboss build date is 6/17. This just makes me want to try to cancel and order a 2020 with the 6.2 and 10Speed. F**K

I would if I were you.