Jump to content
  • Sign up for FREE! Become a GM-Trucks.com Member Today!

    In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
Moend

8 speed is gone for 2020

Recommended Posts

^^ Already Called my dealership. Couldn’t cancel the order as it was passed the window to do so, but they said it wouldn’t be a problem to sell the truck I ordered and put in a new order for a 2020. So I will most likely go that route. They were definitely not thrilled with my decision change but for $50K of my money, the LT Trailboss with a 6.2/10 Speed would definitely be the way to go.

Just so everyone knows....

LT Trailboss with 6.2 - 10 Speed is a $2495 Option for the 2020. My sales manager went on the program to build a 2020 and said Chevy HAS NOT opened up orders yet for the 2020 Trailboss with a 6.2 / 10 Speed Just yet. Orders for the 2020 Trailboss can be taken now only with the 5.3. He is going to check back weekly to let me know once the 6.2 order option is available.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/23/2019 at 1:39 PM, Moend said:

good to hear, I thought I am going to be stock with an odd ball of a truck that no one want to buy when its time to sell it.
Thank you guys!

You should enjoy your new beast instead of being worried of selling her later 😜

By the way, I'm curious about having 10-speed on 5.3L, specially with lower axel ratios. I'm not sure about necessity of having 10 forward gear sets on 5.3L. I can see the benefit on 6.2L or even Ford's 6 calendar turbo with higher hp and torque, but not on 5.3L and smaller naturally aspirated engines. 

I believe GM is just trying to have one transmission for all trucks in near future just from business standpoint, not technical aspects. Of course, they sell it more expensive with less hassle of different varieties. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, AMPRG said:

You should enjoy your new beast instead of being worried of selling her later 😜

By the way, I'm curious about having 10-speed on 5.3L, specially with lower axel ratios. I'm not sure about necessity of having 10 forward gear sets on 5.3L. I can see the benefit on 6.2L or even Ford's 6 calendar turbo with higher hp and torque, but not on 5.3L and smaller naturally aspirated engines. 

I believe GM is just trying to have one transmission for all trucks in near future just from business standpoint, not technical aspects. Of course, they sell it more expensive with less hassle of different varieties. 

 

I'm not following. Wouldn't it be better to have more gears paired to a smaller engine with less horsepower and torque to help it stay in its normal power band more and thus get better performance and fuel economy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2019 at 8:56 AM, GJM32387 said:

My 19LT Trailboss build date is 6/17. This just makes me want to try to cancel and order a 2020 with the 6.2 and 10Speed. F**K

Unless you want to pay at least $10K more. Now you have a lot of incentives. For sure you won't have them for 2020 until Christmas or even March 2020, plus more expensive transmission / configuration! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Cpl_Punishment said:

I'm not following. Wouldn't it be better to have more gears paired to a smaller engine with less horsepower and torque to help it stay in its normal power band more and thus get better performance and fuel economy? 

In my opinion, not necessarily. Due to less hp and torque, the transmission has to put more efforts to adjust needed power. Remember, fuel economy with higher gear sets comes in place during higher speed cruising conditions. That will make the engine to operate in lower rpm when not much demand exists. For stop-and-go driving conditions or towing, that won't do any magic. Usually, the gear ratios of the first 4 to 6 gears are very similar between 8 and 10 speed. If you look at the mpg for both current 5.3L-A8 and 6.2L-A10, you'll notice my reason for City and combined mpg. Besides that, if you use regular octane fuel instead of recommended 91 or higher in 6.2L, mpg will go down dramatically. 

As I mentioned before, I see this just as GM's business game 😏

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/30/2019 at 10:35 AM, Gagliano7 said:

Ford also lets you get any of there motors in the lower trims and reg cab.

They let you get the High Output version of the 3.5EB in any trim now?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone confirmed if the 5.3 10speed option will have the 2speed transfer case as standard, just like the 6.2 is now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2019 at 6:43 PM, HondaHawkGT said:

They let you get the High Output version of the 3.5EB in any trim now?

Not positive on that but you can get the 5.0 in any trim. I just looked and you can get the 3.5 in any trim but not reg cab short bed.. The 5.0 in any cab or trim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2019 at 12:47 PM, AMPRG said:

In my opinion, not necessarily. Due to less hp and torque, the transmission has to put more efforts to adjust needed power. Remember, fuel economy with higher gear sets comes in place during higher speed cruising conditions. That will make the engine to operate in lower rpm when not much demand exists. For stop-and-go driving conditions or towing, that won't do any magic. Usually, the gear ratios of the first 4 to 6 gears are very similar between 8 and 10 speed. If you look at the mpg for both current 5.3L-A8 and 6.2L-A10, you'll notice my reason for City and combined mpg. Besides that, if you use regular octane fuel instead of recommended 91 or higher in 6.2L, mpg will go down dramatically. 

As I mentioned before, I see this just as GM's business game 😏

My friend has the ford f150 with the 5.0 and 10 speed and that thing is an animal. The 10 speed keeps in the optimal rpm. He is also averaging 18 mpg on E85.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.