If you go back over a year when the T1's were introduced they eluded to the 6.2 TB at some point in interviews becaue everybody was asking. It's not a hail Mary but it still doesn't explain why they insisted in one of the lamest roll outs in recent memory. 

7 hours ago, magnum74 said:

If you go back over a year when the T1's were introduced they eluded to the 6.2 TB at some point in interviews becaue everybody was asking. It's not a hail Mary but it still doesn't explain why they insisted in one of the lamest roll outs in recent memory. 

When the 6.2 has only been offered in the top trim levels the previous 6 model years, I would call that a Hail Mary to drive lagging sales lol. It’s a move GM has had in their back pocket for years, because it requires literally zero tooling changes to mass production lines. They chose to play it now because of terrible 2019 sales and losing the #2 slot to Ram.

I bet we see a SIGNIFICANT interior redesign for a mid cycle refresh in 2021 like they did for the front fascia on the 2016’s.

• Like 1

I wonder what’s gonna sell more 6.2 or 3.0 engines cause it’s the same cost over the 5.3. The 6.2 is a great motor with a huge fan base so I doubt it will be outsold but by what margin. The Diesel engine with its great mpg and hopefully great towing has so many people interested. Tuning/mod’ing  is gonna make the 3.0 a little power house.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, magnum74 said:

We can disagree whether this move is in desperation. But the facts are sales are down and RAM is pushing for the number two spot (and is close) since the 2019 redesign. In addition even if you combine Sierra/Silverado sales- the Ford F150 still comes out on top.

26 minutes ago, CKNSLS said:

We can disagree whether this move is in desperation. But the facts are sales are down and RAM is pushing for the number two spot (and is close) since the 2019 redesign. In addition even if you combine Sierra/Silverado sales- the Ford F150 still comes out on top.

No argument there and I believe the 2021 upgrade will be more in reply to what's gone on with the 2019. They need to do something, you're right about that. Their competition is leaving them behind. If I had to buy a 1500 today it likely wouldn't be a GM for various reasons ie. small fuel tank is a huge issue for me.

2 hours ago, Inline6DirtyMaxRST said:

I wonder what’s gonna sell more 6.2 or 3.0 engines cause it’s the same cost over the 5.3. The 6.2 is a great motor with a huge fan base so I doubt it will be outsold but by what margin. The Diesel engine with its great mpg and hopefully great towing has so many people interested. Tuning/mod’ing  is gonna make the 3.0 a little power house.

Gas engines today are so good with direct injection and variable valve timing, and these 1/2 ton Diesel engines are 10 years too late. I don’t see many people checking that option box. Does ford even sell any of their f150 diesel?

• Like 2

On 5/25/2019 at 6:02 PM, Inline6DirtyMaxRST said:

Chrome has been out for over 10 years now. Body color match or black special ordering chrome should be the new way? The 5.3 fits most needs so they pumped those trucks out 1st no surprise. This truck is gonna be around for awhile they can’t just pump out special orders all the time.  With any new vehicle so much money and time is invested they have to get a certain production number of the trucks . Now they got a million ready they can start putting out want people want instead of what the company needs to do 1st. 

It’s gonna help a lot of people get into these trucks with super low miles. 2021 models you can bet are gonna have a interior upgrade only thing left to do?

Chrome will always be around.  When was the last production blackout Escalde you saw. Classic, stately, elegant. Don't mind minimum chrome but these blackout and monochrome vehicles are awful.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NWI Denali said:

Gas engines today are so good with direct injection and variable valve timing, and these 1/2 ton Diesel engines are 10 years too late. I don’t see many people checking that option box. Does ford even sell any of their f150 diesel?

Gas engines are great I like forced induction myself turbo or no go. Hook up anything even a little heavy to a gassers and your mpg is about 10mpg sadly. I live in CA gas is more then Diesel and smog laws are crazy anyways. Getting almost 30mpg in a diesel empty and hopefully 15-20 with some weight behind it. Then you turbo swap it after the warranty is up then You got a mean little machine that 10speed is rated for what 590tq so it will hold 700?

1 hour ago, tbarn said:

Chrome will always be around.  When was the last production blackout Escalde you saw. Classic, stately, elegant. Don't mind minimum chrome but these blackout and monochrome vehicles are awful.

I just don’t like the cheap “fake” chrome they got on most vehicles. Really only trucks and SUVs push the chrome limits for the higher end models but most people who buy those are in fact older and mabe like the chrome cause that’s how they grew up. I hate my vehicle looking like a shiny quarter going down the road with all this CA sun we get out here lol 

3 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

Diesels are just a pain in the ass with a bunch of failure prone garbage emission systems.  It's why the HD trucks are all getting larger gas engine options as well.  The diesel half ton is a day late and a dollar short.

I don’t think that’s why. Gas engines deliver different power so the engineers at GM and Ford said the new 6.6 and 7.3 gassers are for people who don’t haul 35k lbs but do need a more power engine Then a 5.0 or 6.2. They have push rods iron blocks blah blah blah. Besically they made older style engine for durability with better mpg for people who don’t want a more expensive diesel work truck their going to just sell in a few years.I’m sure GM isn’t gonna waste was this time and money on a NEW engine if people haven’t been asking for it. 

Edited by Inline6DirtyMaxRST

Yeah, Chrome is out of style. Just look at any other car brand but GM, FCA or Ford. But even the GM full size SUVs prove this. Chrome accents will continue to be in style, but monochrome bodies are in. They have been for a while now and they aren’t going anywhere soon. 

I’m at a park right now and there are 8 vehicles parked here. Chevys, Jeeps, Caddy’s, Benz, Honda, Nissan... all have monochrome bodies. 

12 minutes ago, econometrics said:

Yeah, Chrome is out of style. Just look at any other car brand but GM, FCA or Ford. But even the GM full size SUVs prove this. Chrome accents will continue to be in style, but monochrome bodies are in. They have been for a while now and they aren’t going anywhere soon. 

I’m at a park right now and there are 8 vehicles parked here. Chevys, Jeeps, Caddy’s, Benz, Honda, Nissan... all have monochrome bodies. 

My dad is turning 60 this year, and is considering buying a truck to tow a fifth wheel.  He wants chrome.  I told him it's lame, and none of the cool kids are doing it.  He was not dissuaded.  lol

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, rkj__ said:

My dad is turning 60 this year, and is considering buying a truck to tow a fifth wheel.  He wants chrome.  I told him it's lame, and none of the cool kids are doing it.  He was not dissuaded.  lol

No disrespect to those who still prefer chrome. For sure. ??

19 hours ago, Inline6DirtyMaxRST said:

6.2 will eat the diesel's lunch. Those who need to tow over 10k on a regular basis will be better off with an HD anyway. 

5 minutes ago, Mandalorian said:

6.2 will eat the diesel's lunch. Those who need to tow over 10k on a regular basis will be better off with an HD anyway. 

In what sense a 1/4 mile race sure. Passing people on the higheay with a load I can’t stand when a gasser truck drops 4 gears revs 4K+ rpm loud as hell and takes hella fuel and slooooowly gets you up a hill  and sucks trying to pass. Mine you I tow stuff for work all the time I tow at 65-70mph so I’m passing goones all the time if you do 55 and don’t ever pass people it’s different. I think if you go on vacation couple times a year take some toy haulers sure get a 6.2. If your a farmer or haul material like base rock, hay etc. on the reg a little Diesel engine isn’t looking too bad. I agree if your hauling over 10k reg get a HD truck bigger brakes all that good stuff. Both I think both engines have their place for different people.