1 hour ago, Inline6DirtyMaxRST said:

In what sense a 1/4 mile race sure. Passing people on the higheay with a load I can’t stand when a gasser truck drops 4 gears revs 4K+ rpm loud as hell and takes hella fuel and slooooowly gets you up a hill  and sucks trying to pass. Mine you I tow stuff for work all the time I tow at 65-70mph so I’m passing goones all the time if you do 55 and don’t ever pass people it’s different. I think if you go on vacation couple times a year take some toy haulers sure get a 6.2. If your a farmer or haul material like base rock, hay etc. on the reg a little Diesel engine isn’t looking too bad. I agree if your hauling over 10k reg get a HD truck bigger brakes all that good stuff. Both I think both engines have their place for different people.  

In northern California I guess a diesel might be okay... it never actually gets cold so your emission systems generally stay working for longer periods of time.  So instead move somewhere cold with high volume sales of diesels like I live... the love is less and less.  The emissions systems cannot and do not work in cold climates with urea so what does a person do?  Well right now they delete the truck and keep on going.... but for fleets this is more troubling.  Large fleets routinely delete their diesel trucks... or else have it hauled out every few days when it goes into limp mode.  Highway tractors are pretty well all deleted too... just leave the systems intact to pass visual inspections.  There is a large demand to replace the medium and light duty diesel trucks with high torque gas versions.  If there wasn't they would just leave the smaller gas engines and let the operators deal with reduced capacity.... This has nothing to do with racing lol.. its having power and no issues.  Delete your little 3 liter and mod it and yeah.. it won't be slow and it will be relatively reliable.  But is the average buyer doing that?  No.... so you get what you get.

What do people want?  Warranty and a trouble free vehicle... You aren't getting that anymore with a diesel with a cold climate.  The diesel is for the percieved mileage gains... which is a tough sell with people getting the mileage they do with the direct injected gas engines.  And when you talk towing half ton diesel isn't really the big go too here lol...

Will not surprise if they don't drop the diesel from the half tons after a few years...  Thank your lovely EPA for that.

Yes I do know owners of half ton diesels that love them... they are all deleted too lol.  

And because I get this every time I will digress that almost all these deleted diesels... are just stockish or tow tunes with no adjustable settings meant only to rid the truck of the emission systems.  

The 6.6 is not a big engine as GM is releasing a 8.something gas for medium duty use to compete with the 7.3.  Big high torque gas engines for trouble free operation...

Edited by SierraHD17
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SierraHD17 said:

In northern California I guess a diesel might be okay... it never actually gets cold so your emission systems generally stay working for longer periods of time.  So instead move somewhere cold with high volume sales of diesels like I live... the love is less and less.  The emissions systems cannot and do not work in cold climates with urea so what does a person do?  Well right now they delete the truck and keep on going.... but for fleets this is more troubling.  Large fleets routinely delete their diesel trucks... or else have it hauled out every few days when it goes into limp mode.  Highway tractors are pretty well all deleted too... just leave the systems intact to pass visual inspections.  There is a large demand to replace the medium and light duty diesel trucks with high torque gas versions.  If there wasn't they would just leave the smaller gas engines and let the operators deal with reduced capacity.... This has nothing to do with racing lol.. its having power and no issues.  Delete your little 3.slow and mod it and yeah.. it won't be slow and it will be relatively reliable.  But is the average buyer doing that?  No.... so you get what you get.

Will not surprise if they don't drop the diesel from the half tons after a few years...  Thank your lovely EPA for that.

Yes it helps to what area you live in for me 115 in the summer mabe 20’s winter. Never more then 5k above sea level so yeah the engines run no problem. I agree the EPA does make it so the engines cant run properly for long choked out exhaust and engines running to lean lower emissions. That’s why moding for me and other people is the route to go obviously not everybody can. I’m all for high tq gassers super chargers and turbo cars are more my thing anyway.  The i6 Diesel I just like cause it’s different everybody will have a 6.2L. Towing for work on and off so much I’ve just learned to appreciate diesel for loads/haul. I will mod the truck to fit my needs and like you said not everybody can/wants to but I do. If I don’t like it I sell it and get a 6.2 and mod that. I’ve just seen that done a million times. Nobody has moded this new i6 and some I’m interested??400hp/700tq sounds pretty sweet haha   If they stop making it mabe the trucks resell value higher who knows! I’ll at least have fun messing with this new truck for awhile but you might be right mabe it will suck we will find out around October time I’m sure haha 

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, SierraHD17 said:

Diesels are just a pain in the ass with a bunch of failure prone garbage emission systems.  It's why the HD trucks are all getting larger gas engine options as well.  The diesel half ton is a day late and a dollar short.

Bingo. Diesel's should have hit the half ton segment 1 year after the High Pressure Common-rail injection motors (Duramax) found its way in to the HD's. This was the hay day's for diesel 2003-2010. After that they became problematic turds that no one wants. I have over 10 modern diesel engines in Class 8's, excavators, to rock crushers, anything after the addition of DEF Fluid (tier 4 emissions) is a piece of crap. When these systems hit the market in 2012, some of our trucks could not work long enough to pay for their own repair bills, let alone make enough profit to cover the payment and then some. For this reason, I have avoided buying any recent 3/4 - 1 ton diesel, the last 3 have been 6.0L's. Most new vocational trucks are sold with "towing packages", really inspires confidence doesn't it? That's why GM is making another 8+Litre gas engine for the chassis trucks, because people want to go to work, not sit at the garage losing money. This 3.0L engine like you say is 10-15 years too late. The only way I would buy a DEF diesel pickup is if I lived in Texas where temps are hot, because they suck in Canadian winters. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Bingo. Diesel's should have hit the half ton segment 1 year after the High Pressure Common-rail injection motors (Duramax) found its way in to the HD's. This was the hay day's for diesel 2003-2010. After that they became problematic turds that no one wants. I have over 10 modern diesel engines in Class 8's, excavators, to rock crushers, anything after the addition of DEF Fluid (tier 4 emissions) is a piece of crap. When these systems hit the market in 2012, some of our trucks could not work long enough to pay for their own repair bills, let alone make enough profit to cover the payment and then some. For this reason, I have avoided buying any recent 3/4 - 1 ton diesel, the last 3 have been 6.0L's. Most new vocational trucks are sold with "towing packages", really inspires confidence doesn't it? That's why GM is making another 8+Litre gas engine for the chassis trucks, because people want to go to work, not sit at the garage losing money. This 3.0L engine like you say is 10-15 years too late. The only way I would buy a DEF diesel pickup is if I lived in Texas where temps are hot, because they suck in Canadian winters. 

I love driving my diesel and would have a tough time going back to gas.  The diesel moves along quietly whereas the gas is constantly shifting and revving, makes for a tiresome drive.  Now the 6.0 is extremely durable, it just isn't for me.  I plowed extensively with my 2011 and 2015 and no issues with either of those trucks.  The 2017 has been just as reliable.

For our business the 6.0 is a good choice, much cheaper and they're durable.  For my personal vehicle though, I prefer the power of the Duramax.  The added maintenance is worth it IMO.  Maybe the increased performance from the new 6.6 Gas will change my mind..but I doubt it.  I have had no issues with DEF freezing yet in MN, gets pretty cold here too.

Really disappointed the RST Chevy and the Elevation GMC do not get adaptive cruise control. a product decision that will result in hundreds of millions in lost sales for GM.

waited five years for a Chevy without chrome and with adaptive cruise.  GM being greedy only putting it on the high country.  Wanted a fully optioned 55K+ RST with adaptive.  Chevy your loosing life long die hard product lovers.  Can’t wait anymore forced to buy another vendor..  broke my heart a little with this one..

what is is so hard about letting mid line trucks have adaptive cruise and adaptive suspensions.  RAM has airbags on most models.  Short sighted old school product design and placement; you have to adapt..

Edited by Elpresidente
  • Like 1