Alpine redesign head unit

1 hour ago, JrAT2 said:

What is that 2.5 hmi he’s talking about

This

I’d talk to either Chris White and/or Magpie about your problem(s) and see if they think updating to the 2.5 will “fix” it for you. If your interested in keeping your stock set up...

I had the original Alpine 10"  Restyle without ApplePlay or Android Auto and overall it was a decent unit however it did boot slow as mentioned. Since it appears you are looking at the new version I'm guessing you are OK with no CD and if so you may consider the new Pioneer DMH modular units which is what I am replacing  mine with. Like the Alpine they do not require cutting the dash as a typical double din would since they also have a separate screen with a hideaway amp/module and specs/features are similar however if you want more advanced tuning that is available in "network" mode on the Pioneer.  They come in 2  7" models (dmh-c2500NEX/DMH-C2550NEX) and an 8" model (DMH-C5500NEX). The only difference in the 2 7" models is the 2500 does not support idatalink maestro which you will need if you want to keep steering wheel controls as well as most other factory functions that go through the radio. The best part is total cost of the 7" with the idatalink Maestro was about 1/3 the cost of the imo extremely overpriced Alpine (idatalink Maestro is included in Alpine price). Drag is the Pioneer will require custom fabrication to install now as the direct fit Silverado/Sierra dash kits from Metra are not available yet. I decided to just wait until the kits are available instead of fabricating something so I cant comment on performance yet however I recently installed the non modular version in a friends Tundra and definitely like it better than the Alpine original version. 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 6/2/2019 at 11:06 AM, Marv88 said:

I had the original Alpine 10"  Restyle without ApplePlay or Android Auto and overall it was a decent unit however it did boot slow as mentioned. Since it appears you are looking at the new version I'm guessing you are OK with no CD and if so you may consider the new Pioneer DMH modular units which is what I am replacing  mine with. Like the Alpine they do not require cutting the dash as a typical double din would since they also have a separate screen with a hideaway amp/module and specs/features are similar however if you want more advanced tuning that is available in "network" mode on the Pioneer.  They come in 2  7" models (dmh-c2500NEX/DMH-C2550NEX) and an 8" model (DMH-C5500NEX). The only difference in the 2 7" models is the 2500 does not support idatalink maestro which you will need if you want to keep steering wheel controls as well as most other factory functions that go through the radio. The best part is total cost of the 7" with the idatalink Maestro was about 1/3 the cost of the imo extremely overpriced Alpine (idatalink Maestro is included in Alpine price). Drag is the Pioneer will require custom fabrication to install now as the direct fit Silverado/Sierra dash kits from Metra are not available yet. I decided to just wait until the kits are available instead of fabricating something so I cant comment on performance yet however I recently installed the non modular version in a friends Tundra and definitely like it better than the Alpine original version. 

Wats goin on did u ever get the new pioneer yet if so I had some questions for u.

On 8/22/2019 at 11:16 PM, Bigmeat803 said:

Wats goin on did u ever get the new pioneer yet if so I had some questions for u.

I found the dash kits are now available but I haven't picked that up yet since I haven't had time to install it anyway. I have however installed several of the non modular versions of this headunit and am pretty familiar with it so I'll try to answer any questions you have. 

Edited by Marv88

I found the dash kits are now available but I haven't picked that up yet since I haven't had time to install it anyway. I have however installed several of the non modular versions of this headunit and am pretty familiar with it so I'll try to answer any questions you have. 
How do you like them overall? Does it boot up fast?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, Rock1500 said:

I'm not sure what you would consider fast but I can say they boot up in way less time than the Alpine did! 

55 minutes ago, Rock1500 said:

Somehow missed the first question. They are very similar as far as features go and overall I like the Pioneers a bit better mainly because IMO they are a far better value. 

On 8/24/2019 at 11:23 AM, Marv88 said:

Which one u think is better and will I lose a lot of factory features like Alpine restyle. N will I been able to retain my factory Bose.

On 8/24/2019 at 11:23 AM, Marv88 said:

I have the Phoenix unit and I love it. It’s been in my truck for almost a year and I wouldn’t even consider going any other route. I listen to Pandora natively on the unit almost exclusively. I get tons of compliments about it even at the dealership. It awesome for me but is not for everyone. It has a few odd quirks that will annoy the average person.

DD4A3DE7-69F8-4EA4-9323-438D950B3FC9.jpeg

771A068F-0957-4752-8358-32399400A6C0.jpeg

I have the Phoenix unit and I love it. It’s been in my truck for almost a year and I wouldn’t even consider going any other route. I listen to Pandora natively on the unit almost exclusively. I get tons of compliments about it even at the dealership. It awesome for me but is not for everyone. It has a few odd quirks that will annoy the average person.
DD4A3DE7-69F8-4EA4-9323-438D950B3FC9.thumb.jpeg.49187d5c6d86cf9f860c317b11d47c76.jpeg
771A068F-0957-4752-8358-32399400A6C0.thumb.jpeg.c6316019503e94a54c5e117e6d511f30.jpeg
Where did you get that and hope do you overall like it?

On 9/5/2019 at 7:10 PM, Rock1500 said:

Where did you get that and hope do you overall like it?

I love it. But I would not recommend it to most of my friends and family. It needs a WiFi connection for most of the cool apps. You can just use a hotspot on our phone, but that was a big PITA for me with my last truck. My new truck has the built in hotspot and it works flawlessly.

it runs all my apps natively, meaning that my phone is not tied up like with CarPlay. It’s also runs my GAIA mapping app for off-roading.

finally it just looks awesome. Literally everyone that sees it makes a comment.