In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Sign in to follow this  
71GMC_3/4T

Noise from under driver's seat upon opening door?

I've had my 2018 GMC Sierra SLT for three weeks now.

I noticed there is a whirring sound that comes from under the driver's seat if I unlock it and open the driver's door.  It seems like it happens only after it has sat for a while.  It lasts maybe 3 seconds and sounds like a seat motor.

I have the seat position recall turned off as I am the only driver.

I don't have easy access enabled.

It may not be from the driver's seat, but that's where it sounds like it's coming from.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

It’s ur fuel pump priming. It’s not coming from under the seat but from under the truck. 

• Like 1

Low pressure fuel pump.  It's actually in the gas tank.

• Like 1

Fuel pump priming prior to start up? If you close the door and open again and don’t hear the same sound, good chance that’s all it is - totally normal - my truck does it, so does the Ford at work...

• Like 1

Cool, Thanks guys!

That makes sense.

It just never lasted long enough for me to locate it, and it would only do it once.

Forgive me, I'm old, and maybe have a warped sense of humor, but with these new vehicles when I read whirring sound, my first thought was hamsters in a cage.  :D

Glad that has been figured out, mine does the same and I been under it and found nothing.  Thanks for the explaining!

I noticed what looks like a fuel pump on drivers side right in front of gas tank.  I thought fuel pumps were pretty much all in the gas tank anymore.  Maybe that isn't a fuel pump, sure has hoses etc heading to tank.  Just got this truck and trying to figure everything out, not like my old Dodge that I knew every sound and part location. 

It could be part of the evap setup.  My truck has the evap tank there, with tubes running to the fuel tank and the engine.