Dexos or Mobil 1

Either is good but going to Walmart and getting Mobil 1 will probably be less expensive and so that would be the better route to go.

One thing to consider is you should get one free oil change from the dealer so I would use that.

Edited by Black02Silverado

Doing my first oil change. Should I go to dealer and get Dexos or Walmart and get Mobil1 ? What’s everyone using?

Make sure you get dated recipes. Dealership will any excuse to deny warranty. My earlier days I did my own. Now under warranty vehicles go to dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, Joedert said:

Doing my first oil change. Should I go to dealer and get Dexos or Walmart and get Mobil1 ? What’s everyone using?

Definitely Mobil 1 Annual Protection or Extended Performance.  Annual Protection is a one year or 20,000 mile oil and Extended Performance is 15,000.  I've used Mobil 1 for years now in everything.  Vehicles, lawn mowers, generators, Harleys, other motorcycles and couldn't be happier.  

1 minute ago, mafd2 said:

Definitely Mobil 1 Annual Protection or Extended Performance.  Annual Protection is a one year or 20,000 mile oil and Extended Performance is 15,000.  I've used Mobil 1 for years now in everything.  Vehicles, lawn mowers, generators, Harleys, other motorcycles and couldn't be happier.  

How about the Advanced Fuel Economy offering?

That is what i run and am happy with it.

• Like 2

New Shell Gas Truck motor oil.  Available at WalMart and Autozone, and other places.  Full-synthetic, Dexos-rated, for any mileage.  Contains most of the same additives as their diesel engine oil, to keep your piston rings clean.  It has better numbers than Shell's own Pennzoil Platinum, which in turn is better than Mobil1.  

Oh, and a Wix oil filter too (or NAPA Gold or Platinum, which are made by Wix).  I always used the old-timey good AC Delco oil filters, but I refuse to use these new AC Delco e-core filters (they have an 'E' on the end of the number), since there are so many horrors stories on them out there, tree-huggers' recycling needs be damned!  

Edited by MaverickZ71

17 minutes ago, mafd2 said:

In my experience, anyone who doesn't change their own twice a year in a DOD-type (AFM- or DFM-equipped) vehicle is just asking for trouble down the road.  Just because the marketers say the oil is engineered for up to 20K miles doesn't mean the oil filter can handle that interval and the oil gets dirty and VLOM manifolds and AFM lifters and piston rings, etc, get fouled up.  

Edited by MaverickZ71

8 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

How about the Advanced Fuel Economy offering?

That is what i run and am happy with it.

IDK never used the Advanced Fuel Economy.  All Mobil 1 products are superior and I don't know how much if any noticeable fuel is saved by using the Advanced Fuel Economy but as for protection?  Annual and Extended Performance is the ultimate in protection and mileage.

39 minutes ago, Joedert said:

Dexos is a license. Mobil is a brand.  Walmart is a retailer.

What is the question? 

:lurk:

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, MaverickZ71 said:

In my experience, anyone who doesn't change their own twice a year in a DOD-type (AFM- or DFM-equipped) vehicle is just asking for trouble down the road.  Just because the marketers say the oil is engineered for up to 20K miles doesn't mean the oil filter can handle that interval and the oil gets dirty and VLOM manifolds and AFM lifters and piston rings, etc, get fouled up.  

And yes, Even though Mobil 1 claims and guarantees 20K miles doesn't mean you have to go that long.  On the Annual Protection it's 20K or 1 year whichever comes first.  If you put 10-15K miles a year then your more than safe.  Mobil 1 Extended Performance filters are designed for annual protection as well.  Not saying Pennzoil or other full synthetic oils aren't good or sufficient but I know what Mobil 1 will do.  I've been using it for too many years.  When I'm sitting idling in traffic on one of my air cooled Harleys in scorching hot Louisiana summer months and look down at the oil temp,  I'm glad to know I have Mobil 1 protection.  To each his own but I have no plans on switching.