Hypermiling - I'm Getting 28.8 MPG

• 4 months later...

I haven't driven the truck in a while due to several reasons but now I'm using it only on the highway as a long distance commuter. Recently, I had to drive to Los Angeles Airport and wanted to see how high I could get the gas mileage. Very dry, no wind, slightly hilly. 31 mpg. I'm surprised because the gas inside is about four months old. Not bad for a V8.

IMG_20191026_121303.jpg

• Like 1

I'd like to see these numbers over the 400 mile range, not 50 miles... that's the real test. What are you getting to a full tank? My best on a full tank was 22 with mostly hwy and some city/traffic. But, when I am on the hwy, i'm at 75-80 most of the time. 

Best drive so far was a few weeks ago, when I got over 26 mpg for a 50 mile average around Birmingham/Tuscaloosa, with speeds in the 55-65 mph range. 2019 GMC 1500 SLT X31 5.3/8spd/3.23. I recently got in the 25's for a 50 mile average on the Georgia coast, using ethanol-free gas. Once I topped up with 10% ethanol blend, MPG's dropped to the 18 range.

Not 25 miles or 50 miles or even 400 miles DIC.

How about 105,000 miles hand calculated

Absolute Life Time Result 27.64 mpg

Best 27 tank (10,530 miles) 30.6 mpg

Best single tank 33.35 mpg

Worst single tank 22.86 mpg

DIC reads 8-9% over these values.

PeppersHistory_xlsx.thumb.png.35f83bdc3a9090e549cfaa14505d928a.png

14 hours ago, johnnys2k said:

I'd like to see these numbers over the 400 mile range, not 50 miles... that's the real test. What are you getting to a full tank? My best on a full tank was 22 with mostly hwy and some city/traffic. But, when I am on the hwy, i'm at 75-80 most of the time. 

I'm a frequent border crosser so it impacts the mileage while I'm waiting in line. I haven't driven it much lately because of handling issues and I am always on dirt roads. I know I've done 640 miles out of a tank while traveling to Hermosillo, Sonora. Mexican gas is better, no ethanol.

12 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Not 25 miles or 50 miles or even 400 miles DIC.

How about 105,000 miles hand calculated

Absolute Life Time Result 27.64 mpg

Best 27 tank (10,530 miles) 30.6 mpg

Best single tank 33.35 mpg

Worst single tank 22.86 mpg

DIC reads 8-9% over these values.

PeppersHistory_xlsx.thumb.png.35f83bdc3a9090e549cfaa14505d928a.png

The DIC is much better nowadays. It's been reported to be spot on, starting with the T1. I believe it too after measuring a few. I've only filled it up seven times so far.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UGAreb said:

Best drive so far was a few weeks ago, when I got over 26 mpg for a 50 mile average around Birmingham/Tuscaloosa, with speeds in the 55-65 mph range. 2019 GMC 1500 SLT X31 5.3/8spd/3.23. I recently got in the 25's for a 50 mile average on the Georgia coast, using ethanol-free gas. Once I topped up with 10% ethanol blend, MPG's dropped to the 18 range.

Same here, using Mexican gas is way better. No ethanol makes a difference. I still had Mexican gas in it when I got 31 mpg driving at 7 a.m. on a Sunday in Los Angeles, going 60 with the cruise control and absolutely no traffic.

I recently just made a trip to Chattanooga and back, a 500 mile round trip, I did 75-80 most of the way, with some very slow, almost stopped traffic, plus the little bit of Chattanooga City traffick and I got 21.6 mpg

My best tank thus far though, has been 23.6

• Like 1

Once you get off those junk OEM car tires, kiss your mileage good-bye. Going from a P rated puny 10lbs tire to a normal size D or E load 40lb tire, you will lose about 4mpg. My 6.2L got 23.5mpg. When I put some actual truck tires on I am lucky to get 18mpg. More like 16/17 on a day to day at 60mph, not 75mpg. If I do 70+ I am at 15mpg or lower. 

1 hour ago, Minnvmax said:

To all hypermilers-get the hell out of my way. You are a hindrance on the road.  ??

If you don't like the view...PASS.

IF you can't pass it's either unsafe, illegal or you're incapable.

If on the Interstate move out of the slow lane.

We hinder no one but the ignorant. 

:wtf:

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Once you get off those junk OEM car tires, kiss your mileage good-bye. Going from a P rated puny 10lbs tire to a normal size D or E load 40lb tire, you will lose about 4mpg. My 6.2L got 23.5mpg. When I put some actual truck tires on I am lucky to get 18mpg. More like 16/17 on a day to day at 60mph, not 75mpg. If I do 70+ I am at 15mpg or lower. 

Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 II is not a car tire. It's a light truck tire with more load capability than the truck is rated for. 2,337#

This OEM set now starting it's fifth year will time out before they wear out. At 105,000 miles I have a measured 6/32 left. They've wear even. Balance perfectly. Quite. Fuel efficient. Stop on a dime wet or dry. Handle nice. Reasonably comfortable. Good in the rain even now. It isn't snow tire so I don't care about that.

So.....what makes them 'junk' and 'over kill' normal? 

I'll keep my junk tires and their performance, thank you very much.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Bridgestone Dueler H/T D684 II is not a car tire. It's a light truck tire with more load capability than the truck is rated for. 2,337#

This OEM set now starting it's fifth year will time out before they wear out. At 105,000 miles I have a measured 6/32 left. They've wear even. Balance perfectly. Quite. Fuel efficient. Stop on a dime wet or dry. Handle nice. Reasonably comfortable. Good in the rain even now. It isn't snow tire so I don't care about that.

So.....what makes them 'junk' and 'over kill' normal? 

I'll keep my junk tires and their performance, thank you very much.

I am referring to the Goodyear Passenger rated SRA tire that came on most of the K2 trucks. I would assume GM again put the least adequate and light tire they could on the T1 again for SAE Certified fuel mileage reasons. I have ran Bridgestones before on my 2010 before putting on M/T's, they were ok for a highway tire. NFG for gravel/bush work. I need D load A/T's at a minimum for what I do with my trucks. All the power to you if your happy with an OEM tire, but the Goodyear SRA's are complete crap even on dry roads. If you run over a 2" rock, be prepared to get the jack out. 

1 hour ago, Grumpy Bear said:

If you don't like the view...PASS.

IF you can't pass it's either unsafe, illegal or you're incapable.

If on the Interstate move out of the slow lane.

We hinder no one but the ignorant. 

:wtf:

There are the Hypermilers that dont pull on to the shoulder of the road when they finally look in their mirror and see 21 cars backed up bumper to bumper with people losing their marbles at 10mph under the limit on good road conditions? Slow drivers are much more dangerous than people that drive with the flow of traffic. Some people develop road rage and will pass up hills or on corners in my area when this is the case. No multi-lane highways here, so when you get a geezer driving 75kph in a posted 90 when the flow of traffic is travelling 105kph, you are hindering people, and increasing danger on the road to all.