In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Transmission Fluid Temperature (vs. 2019 Tahoe)

Guess what I did today!!!  T-state delete mod.   See how it goes over the next few weeks and I'll report updates. 

If anyone wants the info, I used a Dorman 1/4" NPT plug.  Part # 02471 from Advance Auto.  $1.49.  I had a brass hex plug and decided not to use it.  This Dorman plug has the recessed allen key providing a flush plug fitment. I put a little bit of blue loc-tite on it when installing. After tapping, I did an extensive cleaning with dawn dish soap and lots of compressed air.  I would highly recommend not using solvents because there are o-rings in the hose connections and if you get those chemicals on the rubber, it will probably damage them.  Just a heads up. 

Edited by FL335i
  • Like 3

Update.  Two days of commuting with this mod.  Worth every bit.  I noticed the temps take a lot longer to get up there. With my 1hr commute in traffic the temps go to 178-180.  Yesterday was very hot and sunny, temps were around 183 and 185.  I'd say 180 seems to be the stabilization temp.  Vs 194-199 that I normally would see in my same ride home.  Wish I knew about this mod years ago. 

• Like 2
Update.  Two days of commuting with this mod.  Worth every bit.  I noticed the temps take a lot longer to get up there. With my 1hr commute in traffic the temps go to 178-180.  Yesterday was very hot and sunny, temps were around 183 and 185.  I'd say 180 seems to be the stabilization temp.  Vs 194-199 that I normally would see in my same ride home.  Wish I knew about this mod years ago. 
Very good. Now to some people they may think that is a small amount of change. But also think what happens in tow mode and more agressive driving. I saw a 20 degree jump when in tow mode and brake assist engaged now that is a simple 4 minute jump. But still with this mod everyone is still up to operating temp and safe.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Well after driving my wife's 19 Tahoe some around town the trans temp on it gets up to 180-185.  It behaves like a 180*F Thermostat where my '14 truck seemed to have a 194*F Thermostat.   So those 14 or 15 degrees are a big deal IMO.  I'm glad I did the mod. And my truck was in the 194-200*F range where now 178-183. 

Edited by FL335i

I did the "Pill swap" thermostat modification 2 weeks ago and I went from 190 all the time to 145,  even in this 95 degree heat. I did see it rise to 175 sitting in traffic but it only lasted for about 2 minutes. I still haven't pulled my travel trailer yet but I expect temps to stay well under 190.

• Like 1

I wonder if the reason the T-stat is there is to get the trans fluid hot enough to burn off any condensation in the fluid for shorter trips when the fluid doesn't have a chance to get hot enough. The T-stat bypass won't be of any advantage once the trans temp gets up to the operating range anyway because it'll be all the way open; that's the same effect as having the bypass done.

It was done for increase mpg economy. They even had a new rented fuild designed for this application and heat. Also because of the amount of slip. Gm just between 14-17ish changed the design and parts. But also their whole thought process also.
Important to note that many sensors allow the truck to change idle,shift, and fuel maps. Also in what gear it locks in. So there is a too low but really not as important as too high.
There are some that say 212+ is fine the fuild is rated for it. To that I say the engineers at gm disagree to the point millions where spent to test that and a hot table was add to the tune so negative on that one.
I believe and condensation is burned up quick over 160*. Also the adaptive tables.will just increase pressure if they see and the value is allowing it to do so.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 2