Gorehamj

Chevy Drops Prices and Specs For the New 2020 3.0-liter Duramax Diesel Engine

Posted (edited)

Does it have the same Bosch CP4 fuel pump that is not compatible with US Diesel that currently has a Federal Class Action lawsuit? They explode.

I’d buy this as a crate motor kit to put into a Toyota...never buy it in a GM vehicle with a Bosch CP4 fuel pump. Kinda like the Polaris Razor that catches on fire.

People started buying them just to park in their garage and burn their house down...just pointin fingers at the Razor...whalla...big check.

Got quite the Rep with these exploding Bosch CP4 fuel pumps Poshe....

Edited by Paintor

Posted (edited)

Being an OHC engine, that means it has a looonngggg timing chain, which requires guides and tensioners.  How are the tensioners actuated?  Ratcheting/spring pressure, or engine oil hydraulic pressure?  If the latter, how resistant are the seals to blowing out, and starving everything downstream in the oiling circuit of oil?  Is the advertised OCI insufficient enough to allow for longevity of its timing components due to sludging?  Are the finger-followers secured in the head, or do they just use spring tension to remain in place?  Anyone who has ever owned or worked on a Ford 5.4 3v is familiar with all of the above concerns, not *too* big a deal except that in this case, the timing chain is at the back of the engine...

One piece plastic VC with integral oil separator also means expensive replacement of said oil separator once its diaphragm fails and the engine runs away...

That being said I'd purchase one in a heartbeat, as long as the above issues are accounted for, and they redesigned the exterior to not look like something Batman would come up with in his lair...

Edited by dukedkt442

10 hours ago, Paintor said:

Does it have the same Bosch CP4 fuel pump that is not compatible with US Diesel that currently has a Federal Class Action lawsuit? They explode.

I’d buy this as a crate motor kit to put into a Toyota...never buy it in a GM vehicle with a Bosch CP4 fuel pump. Kinda like the Polaris Razor that catches on fire.

People started buying them just to park in their garage and burn their house down...just pointin fingers at the Razor...whalla...big check.

Got quite the Rep with these exploding Bosch CP4 fuel pumps Poshe....

No.  Should have the GM/Denso system from the L5P 6.6 and LWN 2.8.

Posted (edited)

First US Diesel to use 0w20 oil.

Fiat’s Iveco has been using 0w20 oil in diesels for a couple years. 

Will be interesting to see how this starts in extreme cold.

Edited by Paintor

On 6/3/2019 at 1:18 PM, NW-99SS said:

No Turbo Diesel should come with the Start/Stop function - what a stupid way to allow your hot turbo to cook off any oil around its bearing and cause problems...shown by so many of the German 3.0l turbo diesels with oil cooler line and turbo bearing failures.

a good idea to eliminate that kind of failure would be to have an electric oil pump that only kicks on when the start/stop system is activated; that way oil keeps circulating in the turbo system.

The low pressure EGR sounds like a great step forward. While no EGR would be preferable, pulling exhaust gas after the DPF will greatly reduce the amount of crap that gets recirculated into the intake.  

21 hours ago, Paintor said:

First US Diesel to use 0w20 oil.

Fiat’s Iveco has been using 0w20 oil in diesels for a couple years. 

Will be interesting to see how this starts in extreme cold.

-22 unassisted?  I bet it starts A-OK? OKAY?  Thanks for your input!

17 hours ago, truckofwinandawesome said:

a good idea to eliminate that kind of failure would be to have an electric oil pump that only kicks on when the start/stop system is activated; that way oil keeps circulating in the turbo system.

Maybe, but electric pumps fail without warning.  That's why you only see electric water pumps on race cars and not OEM.

A Duramax 6.6 is about $9500 over a 6.0 vortec, this 3.0 is only a $2500 premium.  That's a massive difference.  I assume a big chunk of the $9500 on the HD trucks goes to the Allison as well.  In any case, I would seriously consider the diesel for such a small premium.  If they appear to be reliable after a few years and the payload is reasonable, I would certainly take a diesel over a 6.2 for the same cost.  Not so much that I'm a diesel guy, I drive a gas 2500HD,  but considering the fuel economy, fuel range, etc., it just looks like a winner assuming they aren't trouble-prone. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, i82much said:

A Duramax 6.6 is about $9500 over a 6.0 vortec, this 3.0 is only a $2500 premium.  That's a massive difference.  I assume a big chunk of the $9500 on the HD trucks goes to the Allison as well.  In any case, I would seriously consider the diesel for such a small premium.  If they appear to be reliable after a few years and the payload is reasonable, I would certainly take a diesel over a 6.2 for the same cost.  Not so much that I'm a diesel guy, I drive a gas 2500HD,  but considering the fuel economy, fuel range, etc., it just looks like a winner assuming they aren't trouble-prone. 

Yeah...that is how I feel too!  Problem is I really like the 6.6L gasser too?  I have my hairy eyeball firmly set on one of those baby's!

• Like 1

To look at it another way, if you could buy a 325 hp Duramax in the HD trucks for, say, $3500 over the cost of a gas engine, I'd have a diesel.  For $9500 ... no thanks!

Think I found out why it has not passed emissions yet.

The Silverado is going to shut the engine off when you stop. This is terrible for a diesel.

Defeats having a catalytic convertor, especially when driving in a city. Its a smog machine.

It should not be issued a Emissions Certification.

• Like 1

I would like to test drive one. 

One thing that stood out in the press release was that the timing chain is at the rear (near firewall) of the engine. So if a tensioner, guide or chain needs maintenance or replaced, step 1 is remove engine?

If that’s the case, I would own until warranty’s is up. 

The chain, tensioner, guides are engineered to last until 100k? 200k? 300k?

Hopefully a diesel Tahoe and suburban are next 👍

On ‎2019‎-‎06‎-‎03 at 1:07 PM, Sierra Dan said:

If guys can figure out how to make the 3.0 fume like the above pic, then it will! LOL

Oh I am sure they will! Look at all the emissions crap on that little fella, if you took that stuff off and that junk turbo and put a real turbo, EGR/DEF delete, the engine would probably fit in your lawnmower. With a real turbo, no emissions, injectors and tune, I would bet you will see basic bolt on numbers climb to 550tq and 330hp. GM has been locking up these new ECM's and TCM's like Fort Knox though so it may take some time.