Gorehamj

Chevy Drops Prices and Specs For the New 2020 3.0-liter Duramax Diesel Engine

Posted (edited)

Does it have the same Bosch CP4 fuel pump that is not compatible with US Diesel that currently has a Federal Class Action lawsuit? They explode.

I’d buy this as a crate motor kit to put into a Toyota...never buy it in a GM vehicle with a Bosch CP4 fuel pump. Kinda like the Polaris Razor that catches on fire.

People started buying them just to park in their garage and burn their house down...just pointin fingers at the Razor...whalla...big check.

Got quite the Rep with these exploding Bosch CP4 fuel pumps Poshe....

Edited by Paintor

Posted (edited)

Being an OHC engine, that means it has a looonngggg timing chain, which requires guides and tensioners.  How are the tensioners actuated?  Ratcheting/spring pressure, or engine oil hydraulic pressure?  If the latter, how resistant are the seals to blowing out, and starving everything downstream in the oiling circuit of oil?  Is the advertised OCI insufficient enough to allow for longevity of its timing components due to sludging?  Are the finger-followers secured in the head, or do they just use spring tension to remain in place?  Anyone who has ever owned or worked on a Ford 5.4 3v is familiar with all of the above concerns, not *too* big a deal except that in this case, the timing chain is at the back of the engine...

One piece plastic VC with integral oil separator also means expensive replacement of said oil separator once its diaphragm fails and the engine runs away...

That being said I'd purchase one in a heartbeat, as long as the above issues are accounted for, and they redesigned the exterior to not look like something Batman would come up with in his lair...

Edited by dukedkt442

10 hours ago, Paintor said:

Does it have the same Bosch CP4 fuel pump that is not compatible with US Diesel that currently has a Federal Class Action lawsuit? They explode.

I’d buy this as a crate motor kit to put into a Toyota...never buy it in a GM vehicle with a Bosch CP4 fuel pump. Kinda like the Polaris Razor that catches on fire.

People started buying them just to park in their garage and burn their house down...just pointin fingers at the Razor...whalla...big check.

Got quite the Rep with these exploding Bosch CP4 fuel pumps Poshe....

No.  Should have the GM/Denso system from the L5P 6.6 and LWN 2.8.

Posted (edited)

First US Diesel to use 0w20 oil.

Fiat’s Iveco has been using 0w20 oil in diesels for a couple years. 

Will be interesting to see how this starts in extreme cold.

Edited by Paintor

On 6/3/2019 at 1:18 PM, NW-99SS said:

No Turbo Diesel should come with the Start/Stop function - what a stupid way to allow your hot turbo to cook off any oil around its bearing and cause problems...shown by so many of the German 3.0l turbo diesels with oil cooler line and turbo bearing failures.

a good idea to eliminate that kind of failure would be to have an electric oil pump that only kicks on when the start/stop system is activated; that way oil keeps circulating in the turbo system.

The low pressure EGR sounds like a great step forward. While no EGR would be preferable, pulling exhaust gas after the DPF will greatly reduce the amount of crap that gets recirculated into the intake.  

21 hours ago, Paintor said:

First US Diesel to use 0w20 oil.

Fiat’s Iveco has been using 0w20 oil in diesels for a couple years. 

Will be interesting to see how this starts in extreme cold.

-22 unassisted?  I bet it starts A-OK? OKAY?  Thanks for your input!

17 hours ago, truckofwinandawesome said:

a good idea to eliminate that kind of failure would be to have an electric oil pump that only kicks on when the start/stop system is activated; that way oil keeps circulating in the turbo system.

Maybe, but electric pumps fail without warning.  That's why you only see electric water pumps on race cars and not OEM.

A Duramax 6.6 is about $9500 over a 6.0 vortec, this 3.0 is only a $2500 premium.  That's a massive difference.  I assume a big chunk of the $9500 on the HD trucks goes to the Allison as well.  In any case, I would seriously consider the diesel for such a small premium.  If they appear to be reliable after a few years and the payload is reasonable, I would certainly take a diesel over a 6.2 for the same cost.  Not so much that I'm a diesel guy, I drive a gas 2500HD,  but considering the fuel economy, fuel range, etc., it just looks like a winner assuming they aren't trouble-prone. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, i82much said:

A Duramax 6.6 is about $9500 over a 6.0 vortec, this 3.0 is only a $2500 premium.  That's a massive difference.  I assume a big chunk of the $9500 on the HD trucks goes to the Allison as well.  In any case, I would seriously consider the diesel for such a small premium.  If they appear to be reliable after a few years and the payload is reasonable, I would certainly take a diesel over a 6.2 for the same cost.  Not so much that I'm a diesel guy, I drive a gas 2500HD,  but considering the fuel economy, fuel range, etc., it just looks like a winner assuming they aren't trouble-prone. 

Yeah...that is how I feel too!  Problem is I really like the 6.6L gasser too?  I have my hairy eyeball firmly set on one of those baby's!

• Like 1

To look at it another way, if you could buy a 325 hp Duramax in the HD trucks for, say, $3500 over the cost of a gas engine, I'd have a diesel.  For $9500 ... no thanks!

Think I found out why it has not passed emissions yet.

The Silverado is going to shut the engine off when you stop. This is terrible for a diesel.

Defeats having a catalytic convertor, especially when driving in a city. Its a smog machine.

It should not be issued a Emissions Certification.

• Like 1

I would like to test drive one. 

One thing that stood out in the press release was that the timing chain is at the rear (near firewall) of the engine. So if a tensioner, guide or chain needs maintenance or replaced, step 1 is remove engine?

If that’s the case, I would own until warranty’s is up. 

The chain, tensioner, guides are engineered to last until 100k? 200k? 300k?

Hopefully a diesel Tahoe and suburban are next 👍

On ‎2019‎-‎06‎-‎03 at 1:07 PM, Sierra Dan said:

If guys can figure out how to make the 3.0 fume like the above pic, then it will! LOL

Oh I am sure they will! Look at all the emissions crap on that little fella, if you took that stuff off and that junk turbo and put a real turbo, EGR/DEF delete, the engine would probably fit in your lawnmower. With a real turbo, no emissions, injectors and tune, I would bet you will see basic bolt on numbers climb to 550tq and 330hp. GM has been locking up these new ECM's and TCM's like Fort Knox though so it may take some time. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Alec DiAstra
      GM recalls 160,000 pickup trucks in Canada for fire risks, nothing announced in US yet
      As of right now there is a recall for all GM 1500's years 2014-2018 that have both a rear window defogger and a power sliding rear window. 
      https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/gm-recall-pickup-trucks-canada-fire-risks/

That recall has not been expanded to the US.

I Just got off the phone with GM and filed a request to have the recall expanded to the US. I would encourage everyone who this applies to in this forum to do the same. It takes about 5-10 min but could save us all a lot of hassle later. 

HAVE YOUR VIN READY
      Call GM @1 (866) 522-9559
      Reference this recall number:
      Manufacturer Recall Number
      N192220470
      (This is the recall number from GM in Canada)
      (reference: 
      https://wwwapps.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/VRDB-BDRV/search-recherche/detail.aspx?lang=eng&mk=0&md=0&fy=0&ty=9999&ft=&ls=0&sy=0&rn=2019325&cf=SearchResult&pg=50)

They will tell you that the recall only applies in Canada and not to your VIN. 
      Express to them that the recall needs to be expanded to the US since our vehicles are also affected. 

Please post here if you have called GM (just so we can keep track) 
      Please also post if you have experienced this issue (smoke, glass breakage, etc) 

Affected components: electrical – rear window defroster on trucks equipped with the power sliding rear window.
      Affected vehicles:
      2014-2018 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 2015-2019 Chevrolet Silverado HD 2014-2018 Chevrolet Silverado LD 2014-2018 GMC Sierra 1500 2015-2019 GMC Sierra HD 2014-2018 GMC Sierra LD  

It may be a good idea to sticky this topic. 

• By Ernest Gilmore
      Wanted to reach out to the forum and see if anyone has ran into these issues with their radios. I have a Tuscany build 2015 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 6.6L, LTZ, Z71 build and I have a stock radio head unit that seems to have problems when connecting any phone to it. I use one device (iPhone XS Max) and it works via Bluetooth, however, there are times when the Bluetooth doesn't drop off but I get no sound from the speakers but still shows the song playing. 

The workaround I have discovered is to cutoff the ignition and turn it back on and the song plays over the speakers. Is this a known issue or is this something I need to get my dealer to look at? TIA. 
    • By SHuntzy
      Hi, I have a 2018 Silverado 1500 LT, and I’m looking for a 2016 - 2018 Silverado 1500 LTZ Grille.

Not looking for the whole Grille just the part that snaps in behind the bezel.

if someone has one for sale I could also trade my LT grille and some cash on top.

let me know if anyone’s interested I live in Northern California.

thanks!

• By newdude
      Got my hands on a 2020 Silverado 2500hd!  Long awaited for me for sure, seeing that they are making their way on to lots.  Lets start!

Exterior:  This particular truck I drove was a Work Truck.  In person, the HD is much easier on the eyes, but the WT is, I feel, the least attractive.  I think its the black grille treatment that puts me off.  This truck had the 17" carryover steel wheels, wrapped in LT265/70R17 Firestone TransForce AT tires (yes, the carryover AT not the AT2).  Options list was minimal, including the WT Convenience Package, Integrated Trailer Brake Controller, the AT tires and black bowties.  Overall, the truck's exterior is very functional.  The bed steps are genius.  Sure, they don't tuck away like some aftermarket designs do, however as a result they maintain bed rocker ground clearance like there isn't even a step there. 

Now, I am personally not a running board guy, mainly for looks (and I think 1/2 tons and Colorados are too low stock for them), but this thing needs them!  Definitely an increased step in height with the T1 over the K2 HD.  Its noticeable.  Also, the size increase is noticeable too.  I think its within an inch or so height wise to a Super Duty, and the body is just as wide as one.  They dwarf the K2 HD.  I do think that the 18" wheels are a must for looks, as they run a 33" tire and suit the truck's profile much better than the 17" wheels do as a result of the 31.5" tire they use.  The towing mirrors.  Totally functional.  I can definitely get behind the way they are mounted once you drive one.  This one had the base tow mirror, so just heat and power upper glass.  There is much better visibility in the A-Pillar to mirror sightline.  I found the extending not what I thought it was going to be?  Its actually positionally detented.  You pull it out and it comes off the arm a touch and then hits the outer detent.  No "in between" position, but that might be just because its the base mirror.   

Oh!  Another interesting fact.  No aluminum body panels anywhere that I could see.  Its all steel.  The hood, doors, tailgate, all steel.  Honestly, I was expecting some aluminum somewhere, like the hood at least, maybe the doors.  GM wasn't joking when they said it only shares the cab structure, otherwise everything was unique to the HD.  The biggest giveaway to those keen enough to notice, is the "CHEVROLET" area on the tailgate.  Its nowhere near as protruded on the gate as the 1500 gate.  

Interior:  See 2019+ T1 1500.  Don't expect anything different here.  Its still a good interior ( I think), apart from some questionable material choices in spots.  I will add one important bit.  Anyone looking at a WT or Custom trim HD, make sure you sit in an LT or higher with a power seat.  The hood is even higher yet than a K2 HD, and the tall front at the end of the hood can be a bit tricky.  I'm 5'10" and felt the standard seat to be ok, but some more height would have been nice around a parking lot/close to other cars.  The mirrors, see the exterior description above.   

Powertrain/How it drives:  The big bit.  This truck had the 6.6 L8T gas V8.  For being as large and heavy as this truck is, that powertrain is much improved over the L96, and long overdue.  I didn't time anything, but it can move quite well when you want it to.  I pulled out from an intersection normally, hit 2nd gear and rolled right into it and it took off quick.  The K2 HD dead feeling accelerator pedal is gone too (thank god) and the power feels in line with your right foot.  Much better response.  Mileage wise, I averaged 15mpg, I'd say 65/35 city-highway split?  Even the 6L90 shifting is improved.  Do I still hope they throw the 10L90 in it?  Yep.  But the 6L90 has been a strong unit, and the added power makes it a good package for the time being.  The added wheelbase smooths the ride out a touch.  Stiffness?  Well, its an HD LOL and had 80psi in the rear tires, but it was still well behaved.  

Overall, a nice improvement on the K2 HD.  Love the mirrors, love the power, the bed steps all around.  Love the look more or less, could use some interior help for sure.  

Big thanks to Cavallaro Neubauer Chevrolet in Williamson NY for letting me borrow this beast!  Link to the window sticker for the truck:  https://www.cnchevy.com/f_WindowSticker?VIN=1GC4YLE79LF117398&cs:o=%window_sticker%&cs:o=%27WindowSticker%27 

• By PhatBoy
      SOLD