Bilstein 6112 installed!

1 hour ago, str8dum said:

Red_5, have you measured the rake with the fronts at the 4 notch?  3rd notch leaves 1" rake.  Is 4th dead even?

I just measured and got 37.5" front and 40.25" rear from the ground to bottom of black fender trim. I have my 6112s on highest setting and I swapped the rear block to one that added about 3/4" lift. I have an NHT so maybe I have stiffer rear springs that create more rear height? I definitely still have visible rake which I wanted because I tow a trailer.

• 1 month later...

Anyone try these 6122's on a 6" lift ? Wondering if these are a better option over the 5100 for a lifted truck running the larger tires. I would just keep the lift kit upper 6" spacer and put these in like the stock ones.

I would also like to order them assembled so I dont need to compress the spring. Anyone know of someone that sells them assembled ready to bolt on?

Edited by gapple12

I was going to do 3rd setting on mine but ended up getting 4 wheel parts to do the top setting. Was thinking about a 2" block in the rear. I have the 5100's in the rear I installed myself. With the 6112's in the front I still have a slight rake, glad I went on the highest setting and don't even think I need the rear block either.

• Like 1

I now have over a 1,000 miles on the 6112/5160 setup and am very pleased. I think they need a bit of break-in so they've been getting better with every mile, they handle all bumps better than stock. My friend who has a stock Raptor was impressed with the ride over bumps - we were only on the highway. I also just towed my ~8,000 pound loaded toy hauler to Laguna Seca for the weekend with another friend and we were both impressed by how well the truck towed and how well the suspension handled things. I like the truck so much more now, drives better in every situation. GM suspension engineers should be shooting for something similar stock. I'd rather have a good suspension out of the box than a multifold tailgate for instance.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a couple thousand miles on this setup too, still very impressed at how they absorb big bumps and yet control the truck so smoothly.  I think the spring rate is similar to stock but these massive bodied shocks just absorb all types of abuse.   Amazing how cheap they are compared to many of the other 2.5 coilover setups I have purchased in the past.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Carrieron said:

I'm going to be ordering the 6112s (3rd notch) for the front and 5160s for the rear. What size tires are you guys running with 17" wheels? Where can I order these from that they are assembled

I ordered my 6112s built from Battleborn but something happened when they were being assembled and, well, they didn't arrive assembled. They refunded me for shock hats because at the time I was in a hurry. 

I currently have basically stock sized K02s on OEM 18" wheels. I have about 44k miles on the current set of  tires, I'll go a little bigger with the next set which is probably still a year away.

On 10/30/2019 at 4:48 PM, Red_5 said:

I ordered my 6112s built from Battleborn but something happened when they were being assembled and, well, they didn't arrive assembled. They refunded me for shock hats because at the time I was in a hurry. 

I currently have basically stock sized K02s on OEM 18" wheels. I have about 44k miles on the current set of  tires, I'll go a little bigger with the next set which is probably still a year away.

Im planning on ordering them assembled at 3 rd notch and putting new tires on after install. I emailed battle born and they told me 285/70R17 will fit. Guess thats what im going to be going with

2" is small for a 5500 lb vehicle. 2.5" with large shafts to me is adequate, but you could easily do 3" and not be over dampened.  Depend on a lot of other factors of course. I really wish they did not take so long to release, would have saved me some money. Instead went all out on good 2.5's. Do make a big difference but not cheap.

Glad you all like what you got, Bilstein is hard to beat for value.

2 hours ago, Carrieron said:

Are they set up at the 4th notch and that’s why you went with lift blocks? What size/brand tires are you running? 

Yes, they're on the highest setting and yes, I still wanted some rake for towing but I don't think it's necessary. I think I would have had enough rake without the higher block on my Max Tow but we did the work all at once. 

Tires are BFG KO2s in 275 65 18 E load. I "downgraded" to OEM 18s from the 20s that came on the truck because I wanted more tire. I'll likely go a little bigger when these tires are down in the next year or so.

• 5 months later...

I just got my 6112s installed on my 2016 Silverado 1500 and holy ****** the bounce is insane. Highest setting but that should not cause bounce like this. Anyone have any suggestions? Based on the bilstein reputation, theres no way this is normal. 

• 3 months later...

I just install 6112’s on my 17’ Sierra with 5100 on back.  I did not have the luck you guys have had. I got 1.75” of front lift on the top setting.  Now the bad news. I have a terrible ride now. High Speed compression is great. Pot holes dont hurt anymore and can take speed bumps fast. But low speed Compression sucks. Going through dips in town or a Bridge approach will about bounce/buck you out of your seat. Almost as if the dampening doesnt exist.  Best way I can describe them is VERY springy and almost as if there is no shock just spring.  Anyone seen or heard pf this?