Wax/Polish on plastic..

Just got my truck back from getting detailed. The guy did a great job overall, but I noticed he left some wax/polish on the rear plast tailgate handle. I've tried using dish soap and a toothbrush to scrub it out, but it doesn't seem to work. I figured I would ask on here for suggestions before trying anything stronger or more abrasive. Anyone have any ideas? Looks pretty cruddy having white junk on the black plastic, almost has an oxidized look to it..

16 minutes ago, mistermcgoo said:

Just got my truck back from getting detailed. The guy did a great job overall, but I noticed he left some wax/polish on the rear plast tailgate handle. I've tried using dish soap and a toothbrush to scrub it out, but it doesn't seem to work. I figured I would ask on here for suggestions before trying anything stronger or more abrasive. Anyone have any ideas? Looks pretty cruddy having white junk on the black plastic, almost has an oxidized look to it..

Wipe some peanut butter on it. That will get the wax residue off the textured plastic. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, L86 All Terrain said:

Meguiars Ultimate Black, trim restorer, trim protectant ...
I get wax all over my GMC Flares and box rail protectors everytime I wax, I use this after. 

I actually just ordered this off of Amazon an hour ago. We'll give it a try..

3 minutes ago, Black02Silverado said:

Try a Magic Eraser.  Lightly go over it.

I have a few at the house, I'll see if I can find them when I get home. Why do you recommend light use? Can they cause damage to the plastic if used to hard?

1 minute ago, mistermcgoo said:

I actually just ordered this off of Amazon an hour ago. We'll give it a try..

I have a few at the house, I'll see if I can find them when I get home. Why do you recommend light use? Can they cause damage to the plastic if used to hard?

Possible, what most don't realize is that the magic eraser is basically a super fine emery cloth, at least that is how I understand it, but boy does that thing work on all kinds of stuff.  :)

Another solution I always wanted to do, but will never have the time to do it sand ALL of the textured plastic trim and paint it to match. My friend did his 2016 All Terrain flares and it looks sharp, but he is also a body man. The trim cleaner will work and wont harm your trim like a Xylene based remover will, the only reason the wax is hard to remove in the first place is because it gets in the grooves of the textured plastic and its hard to get in there, micro fibre works best. 

7 hours ago, mistermcgoo said:

Try posting in this section also for an answer. Not that anyone above is wrong! :thumbs:

https://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/forum/47-vehicle-appearance-care-maintenance/

16 hours ago, mistermcgoo said:

Peanut butter doesn't work, nor will quick detailer. They both just mask it and make it look wet. 

Just get an old school square rubber pencil eraser and gently rub it off the plastic. Obviously don't use one with a pencil attached... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Use the right tool for the job. I had the same thing when I spent 2 days detailing the truck. Even after taping I still had residue get on the tailgate handle. I had this in my box of detailing must-haves. Worked like a champ, removed the white residue, and left a nice finish on the handle. Magic Erasers work for alot of things, though I have read stories where it caused issues with finishes, I personally dont use them for any related to detailing. 

http://www.mothers.com/02_products/06141.html#&slider1=17

Edited by Ge0rge
  • Thanks 1