ModJunky

19 SILVERADO FRONT BRAKE UPGRADE

I have two stainless steel washers spacing it out right now I’m working on machining a one piece.Im pretty sure I’m the first person in the country to do this so far and I can tell you the calipers more then make up for the lack of rotor size it has a very firm peddle as well best peddle I’ve felt on a GM truck 

If you have someone to help you bleed the brakes this will take less then a hour to install I will send you everything you need to install this kit. just keep in mind I’m running a 22 in GM rim the clearance on the caliper and back side face if the rim is tight but it fit my truck without any spacer on the rim itself 

This kit will also fit the 07-13 body truck as well. The calipers are already shared from 07-18 so the dimension for bolt spacing are the same I have already mocked these up on a test spindle in the year range and have proper clearance for the rotor  and caliper this kit should allow fitment on 18in rims since the factory trucks in 19 run that size as a standard option 

5 minutes ago, ModJunky said:

This kit will also fit the 07-13 body truck as well. The calipers are already shared from 07-18 so the dimension for bolt spacing are the same I have already mocked these up on a test spindle in the year range and have proper clearance for the rotor  and caliper this kit should allow fitment on 18in rims since the factory trucks in 19 run that size as a standard option 

My reason for not wanting to do this and stopping me is the caliper is a lot bigger and i like running 17 and 18" wheels. Which might not clear those

18 is factory for 19 models so I’m pretty sure it will fit I can get you measurements for center hub to outside of caliper if you need to give you a ideas of how much clearance there is 

Posted (edited)

unfortunatly big brakes dont stop better, they are just more heat and fade resistant. stock is great. the smaller lighter rotors and calipers have better handling that these porky bits.. where did you source these from an ISUZU NPR 4500 HD?

These trucks need better brake bias in the propotioning valves, and more aggressive brake pad compounds...   unless your pulling a 14,000lbs boat or trailer this is a waste of money and time IMO

Edited by flyingfool

unfortunatly big brakes dont stop better, they are just more heat and fade resistant. stock is great. the smaller lighter rotors and calipers have better handling that these porky bits.. where did you source these from an ISUZU NPR 4500 HD?

These trucks need better brake bias in the propotioning valves, and more aggressive brake pad compounds...   unless your pulling a 14,000lbs boat or trailer this is a waste of money and time IMO
I agree with this unless you have much heavier wheels and tires. Also the pedal feel and customer felt grip or confidence is there.
I have had wilwood,Baer,aerospace, and strange. In everything from daily,autocross, and drag racing. Daily is the most difficult to size and dial in. I believe the compound and surface space is what gave it the feel of being better not the hole and slots or the 6 pistons.
Buddy has hardcore track car and it is solid disc and 4 piston. He swears it doesnt need more then that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Are these on every 19 or are these from a certain model?

23 hours ago, flyingfool said:

This is not what is being discussed here, the caliper is bigger, which is more clamping force and therefor will stop better. 

And bigger rotors, combined with more force, will stop shorter. 

For some, a total waste, for some this is a good cheap alternative to a BBK. 

The Silverado/Sierra also uses engine braking on hills and the like, it's why when you're slowing down it feels like something loosens then clamps down. This reduces brake wear and tear and allows to haul heavy as hell loads. Larger tires are no different than hauling a few extra hundred pounds and braking. The trucks are set up for this.

Now, if you are doing a tonne of hills and braking, or like to speed like a rabbit on crack then they may help you out a bit. They aren't needed, but well, to be honest, they would be a mighty fine upgrade even though the average driver will never need them, and even using larger tires on these trucks it's questionable.

I'm betting upgrading to these would allow one to run their brakes without changing for a fair amount longer.

Anyone local to my area is welcome to stop by and take a drive with me in the truck to feel the difference I love my truck but never had a ton of confidence in the braking on these trucks always feels like you were going to fast when trying to brake hard,like the truck is always behind on the braking abilities. The peddle feels slightly spongy and has more travel then needed now it feels as though you rest your foot on the peddle and its stopping. If you stomp the peddle it will lock up the tires ive never been able to do that in my truck and now its like i have to relearn the braking in the truck, now its so touchy it gives me a lot of confidence in the braking ability of the truck now i tow on occasion and cant wait to feel the difference when im hauling. Gm went back to the drawing board on this deal and it shows luckily for us they still like to use the parts bin for spacing and spindle dimensions. plus when need to eventually replace the components they can be purchased at any parts store super simple no surprise cost later on. love the setup

• Like 1

On 6/14/2019 at 7:29 PM, ModJunky said:

Anyone local to my area is welcome to stop by and take a drive with me in the truck to feel the difference I love my truck but never had a ton of confidence in the braking on these trucks always feels like you were going to fast when trying to brake hard,like the truck is always behind on the braking abilities. The peddle feels slightly spongy and has more travel then needed now it feels as though you rest your foot on the peddle and its stopping. If you stomp the peddle it will lock up the tires ive never been able to do that in my truck and now its like i have to relearn the braking in the truck, now its so touchy it gives me a lot of confidence in the braking ability of the truck now i tow on occasion and cant wait to feel the difference when im hauling. Gm went back to the drawing board on this deal and it shows luckily for us they still like to use the parts bin for spacing and spindle dimensions. plus when need to eventually replace the components they can be purchased at any parts store super simple no surprise cost later on. love the setup

yeah these trucks have other issues going on, it's not the calipers or stock rotors... they have the braking power but there is an issue going on with the proportioning valve system

Posted (edited)

I would try installing Green stuff EBC pads up front before doing a Caliper upgrade. way cheaper using pads that don't glaze the rotors

Edited by flyingfool