Real world city MPG?

I’ve had some vehicles where I bested the sticker on the window, usually a mile or 2 per. I’ve read several recent reviews where advertised HWY fuel mileage was 20-21 mpg HWY. Car and Driver got less. Seems some people here missed their calling. They need to be fuel mileage testers for auto companies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

as you can see, this is at the 50 mile setting, the 400 mile setting shows 20.5.  I drive 27 miles to work, about half the miles are on a state highway where I set the cruise for 63 (60 zone), the other half is through 42 stoplights (not kidding and they are adding more, ugh)  I typically have to stop at 15 to 20 of them

20190613_053125.jpg

• Like 1

Phillip,

Give it some more time and miles. With only 844 miles on the clock your truck is still breaking in.

My truck's average increased until I got about 5,000 miles on it and is now pretty consistent. I drive 29 miles one way to work. The first 15 are stop and go traffic, the middle is 12 miles on I-10, and the end is another 2 miles of stop and go. 21.5 MPG average.

• Like 1

I think the computer is showing 18.8 AMPG since I bought it, but you can see that my Fuelly log is a little lower.  My '15 was showing like 20.4, but Fuelly was showing it around 19.3.

Most of my driving is highway, but I saw a huge jump in MPG when I drove up to San Ramon and back.  Believe that everyone's differences are in the way that they drive.  The computer in my wife's CR-V shows 25 for the current tank, but when I drive, it climbs to about 30, before I'm done with it.  She brakes late and jackrabbits on her takeoffs.  I also use the cruise more religiously than she does.  Our daughter wants to start using Fuelly with her Cruze, going to have her officially start using it at her next fill up. 

Edited by Ravenkeeper
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, KARNUT said:

I’ve had some vehicles where I bested the sticker on the window, usually a mile or 2 per. I’ve read several recent reviews where advertised HWY fuel mileage was 20-21 mpg HWY. Car and Driver got less. Seems some people here missed their calling. They need to be fuel mileage testers for auto companies.

EPA numbers are a joke. My Benz C300, I could barely get 26 mpg like the EPA numbers, but I easily exceed that on my Silverado, managing to get 28.8 on a 50-mile trip, not bad for a car that was supposed to get 21 mpg.. I used the computer but it's spot on according to many people here. The best mileage on my 2012 F-150 was 24.5, but I would have to subtract it by 2 to 3 mpg so I probably got 21.5 in my 2012 F-150.

Very pleased with the gas mileage I'm getting on my 2019 right now. I always drive long distance trips in Mexico and I know I can confidently do 630 miles on a single tank of gas.

• Like 2

Ive had my 2019 for almost two weeks.  The first week the DIC said I was averaging 20.1 mpg.  That was the first week and I was having fun in it.  I filled it up for my second week and will do the hand calculation to see where it truly is.  This week I have been really babying it to see how many MPGs can be pushed out of it.  I do a true mix of highway and suburban driving.  Right now the DIC says my best in the 50 miles range was 24.4, averaging 20.3 with 360 miles and a quarter of a tank left.  Ill report back in a couple days when I need to fuel up again. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Enough said:

Phillip,

Give it some more time and miles. With only 844 miles on the clock your truck is still breaking in.

My truck's average increased until I got about 5,000 miles on it and is now pretty consistent. I drive 29 miles one way to work. The first 15 are stop and go traffic, the middle is 12 miles on I-10, and the end is another 2 miles of stop and go. 21.5 MPG average.

I'm getting about 16-17 now but not sure if it's because of different traffic conditions.  Seems like slightly more highway and less red lights.  Of course some of the highway is like 20mph sometimes so it's always variable on the traffic flow for the day.  Not too shabby.  I know on the highway for long periods of time I can easily get over 20, so I'm happy.  Was just a little concerned with 12 or what not lol.

• Like 1

So today I noticed for the 25 mile trip mileage I was at about 18mpg from driving to work and to get the kids.  Then we stopped for some much needed "fast" food.  Was around 15mpg in no time.  I think the day I was around 12mpg I was idling for like 20 minutes waiting for my son to get out of school.  It's on the way home so no point in going home to turn back around.  

With temps as hot as they are I will take the mpg hit idling rather than being cooked alive lol.

20190619_165338.jpg

• Like 2

I think how one drives with these 8 speed tranny's has a lot to do with the MPGs as well.  I notice the old school way of babying the throttle from a dead stop where you make sure the RPMs never get above 2k keeps the tranny shifting through 2-4 gears slowly and they seemed to be tuned for some high torque or something that drops the live MPG monitor on the DIC.  If you get through those gears quickly and start getting into 5-7 before she goes into 8th gear, the live MPG monitor jumps up into the teens rather than staying below 10 like in 1-4 gears. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, joedekock said:

I think how one drives with these 8 speed tranny's has a lot to do with the MPGs as well.  I notice the old school way of babying the throttle from a dead stop where you make sure the RPMs never get above 2k keeps the tranny shifting through 2-4 gears slowly and they seemed to be tuned for some high torque or something that drops the live MPG monitor on the DIC.  If you get through those gears quickly and start getting into 5-7 before she goes into 8th gear, the live MPG monitor jumps up into the teens rather than staying below 10 like in 1-4 gears. 

With the older (SBC) style engines, I always accelerated up to speed at peak torque rpms and got my best fuel economy that way.  With my old Gen IV, I could probably stand to accelerate a little faster, rarely exceeding 3000 rpms to get up to speed.

• Like 1