Real world city MPG?

On 6/18/2019 at 3:21 PM, joedekock said:

Ive had my 2019 for almost two weeks.  The first week the DIC said I was averaging 20.1 mpg.  That was the first week and I was having fun in it.  I filled it up for my second week and will do the hand calculation to see where it truly is.  This week I have been really babying it to see how many MPGs can be pushed out of it.  I do a true mix of highway and suburban driving.  Right now the DIC says my best in the 50 miles range was 24.4, averaging 20.3 with 360 miles and a quarter of a tank left.  Ill report back in a couple days when I need to fuel up again. 

Well, Folks... I promised I would report the real world MPG on my 2019 Silverado on my second fill up with a hand calculation compared to the DIC report on my trip odometer.  Here are the results....

With the Fuel Economy monitor set at 50 miles, it said I was averaging 21.5 MPG with 24.3 MPG as a best at the time of fill up.  The trip odometer from the time I filled up said I drove 432.1 miles and averaged 20.3 MPG.  When I filled the tank it stopped at 21.212 gallons.  The hand calculation of 432.1 divided by 21.212 gallons of fuel is 20.37 MPG average.  

So, my 2019 Silverado with the 5.3 motor, 8 speed tranny and 3.23 rear gear ratio is not only getting a phenomenal real world MPG that I have personally never been able to achieve in a V8 pickup truck, but the DIC is 100% accurate and off by a blonde one in my favor!

2019-06-20_19-19-14_545.heic

2019-06-20_19-19-27_704.heic

Edited by joedekock
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, joedekock said:

Well, Folks... I promised I would report the real world MPG on my 2019 Silverado on my second fill up with a hand calculation compared to the DIC report on my trip odometer.  Here are the results....

With the Fuel Economy monitor set at 50 miles, it said I was averaging 21.5 MPG with 24.3 MPG as a best at the time of fill up.  The trip odometer from the time I filled up said I drove 432.1 miles and averaged 20.3 MPG.  When I filled the tank it stopped at 21.212 gallons.  The hand calculation of 432.1 divided by 21.212 gallons of fuel is 20.37 MPG average.  

So, my 2019 Silverado with the 5.3 motor, 8 speed tranny and 3.23 rear gear ratio is not only getting a phenomenal real world MPG that I have personally never been able to achieve in a V8 pickup truck, but the DIC is 100% accurate and off by a blonde one in my favor!

Great info and great gas mileage.  I seem to have found the gas pedal and I'm at 14mpg over 25miles currently.  I did idle at a drive through for lunch for a good while though.  Like 15 minutes at least.  

I don't think your pics loaded by the way.  At least not for me on mobile.  

On 6/20/2019 at 11:40 PM, Philipgonzales3 said:

Great info and great gas mileage.  I seem to have found the gas pedal and I'm at 14mpg over 25miles currently.  I did idle at a drive through for lunch for a good while though.  Like 15 minutes at least.  

I don't think your pics loaded by the way.  At least not for me on mobile.  

Im not sure how to do that I guess.  I uploaded them as an attachment and they are able to download. 

• Like 1

I took a trip this weekend in my 19 Silverado 4X4, LTZ, Crew Cab with 5.3.  I did 440.6 miles and used 21.289 gallons for a hand calculated MPG of 20.7 MPG average.  The DIC is still dead nuts on too.  The driving was a mixture of long stretches of 58mph, a little in town driving, and about 150 miles of 79mph.  I couldn't be happier with  the savings in fuel I am getting on this truck.  I will be pulling our camper over the 4th of July for the first time and will do a hand calculation of pulling the trailer. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Real world city MPG?

Outside a test situation what does this question ask? Downtown Nashville at 4PM or mid day Compton Illinois? (population 286) 

:lurk:

Anything above a large town (10,000 people or above) will be considered an acceptable answer.  All other answers will be deemed inappropriate thus we will ask all forum members to ignore such posts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlement_hierarchy

Just kidding.  It doesn't really matter.  I'd be curious either way honestly.  I live in San Antonio now which has a population of about 1.5 million.  I also own property in a town about 30 miles south with a population of 946 (Leming Texas if you are curious).  I plan to move out there when I retire.  Going to be a lot further from the amenities of the big City, and we don't have a single traffic light.  Would be curious to see what someone's MPG would be if they only drove in a very small geographical location like a town.  Likely won't be my situation as most drives would be on the highway into the big city, but would still be cool to know.  

13 hours ago, Grumpy Bear said:

Real world city MPG?

Outside a test situation what does this question ask? Downtown Nashville at 4PM or mid day Compton Illinois? (population 286) 

:lurk:

12 hours ago, Philipgonzales3 said:

Anything above a large town (10,000 people or above) will be considered an acceptable answer.  All other answers will be deemed inappropriate thus we will ask all forum members to ignore such posts.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlement_hierarchy

Just kidding.  It doesn't really matter.  I'd be curious either way honestly.  I live in San Antonio now which has a population of about 1.5 million.  I also own property in a town about 30 miles south with a population of 946 (Leming Texas if you are curious).  I plan to move out there when I retire.  Going to be a lot further from the amenities of the big City, and we don't have a single traffic light.  Would be curious to see what someone's MPG would be if they only drove in a very small geographical location like a town.  Likely won't be my situation as most drives would be on the highway into the big city, but would still be cool to know.  

Reminds me of a guy my dad used to know who would give directions like "from the city of Lafond, go three miles west".  Lafond consists of a few houses clustered around the intersection of 2 gravel roads. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Cpl_Punishment said:

Reminds me of a guy my dad used to know who would give directions like "from the city of Lafond, go three miles west".  Lafond consists of a few houses clustered around the intersection of 2 gravel roads. 

The joke has always been that if you blink, you will miss Leming.  It's listed on Google as 4.8 square miles.  I think that may even be a stretch lol.

• Haha 1

I have a 2017 Crew cab 4x4 with the 5.3. On a flat straight stretch of road without any idiots around, I was able to hit an average of 33.2mpg at 75 mph. This was with ideal driving and weather conditions that may never happen again. 

534048F9-2BD8-4391-9803-9CF69DE31557.jpeg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Rezaghoul said:

I have a 2017 Crew cab 4x4 with the 5.3. On a flat straight stretch of road without any idiots around, I was able to hit an average of 33.2mpg at 75 mph. This was with ideal driving and weather conditions that may never happen again. 

534048F9-2BD8-4391-9803-9CF69DE31557.jpeg

Damn, best I could get was 28.8 in a 50-mile trip going 65. Super unleaded gas? I have the same 5.3 with 4x4 like yours.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2019 at 11:40 AM, Wiggums said:

Damn, best I could get was 28.8 in a 50-mile trip going 65. Super unleaded gas? I have the same 5.3 with 4x4 like yours.

Fuel was Regular unleaded. This was a "perfect storm" so to speak. The weather conditions were right and there was no cars within sight on the road. I would not be surprised if there was a 60 mph tail wind as well. LOL

On the 50 mile average the best I got was 27.5 and the 400 mile average is 22.7.

My current commute to work is 8.5 miles each way. I have 7 traffic lights and its all back roads with twists, turns, hills and deer. My average is around 17.5 MPG for my regular daily commute these days. 

• Like 1