Shift lever won't unlock, stuck in park = replace steering column

My 19 Trailboss developed a problem with the shift lever getting stuck in park. I'd step on the brake and it wouldn't unlock the shifter. This was really frustrating, stuck somewhere because of a dumb shift lock safety feature. I figured out that when I moved the telescoping wheel in/out then it would unlock and allow it to be shifted into gear. 

Brought it to the dealer today, they said there's a bulletin on it and the whole column needs to be replaced. They ordered a column. I'll try to get a copy of the bulletin. 

Starting to get concerned about owning this truck past the warranty period. I should've kept my '15 2500, had no problems with that truck. 

Edited by Donnyb313

Strange.

Considering the earlier build dates have not reported such an issue that i know of.

Now that you bring it up i wonder how many other members have had this problem as well.

Thanks for sharing and keep us posted  :thumbs:

Applies to all engine options/trans/build date on 2019 MY. 

#PIT5657A: Loose Shifter Lever / Poor Shift Actuation from Shift Lever / Shift to Park Message / Dead Battery - (Mar 8, 2019)

Condition:  Some customers may comment of a loose shifter lever, poor shift actuation from the shift handle, and/or unable to shift to park. If the shifter will not go into park, the ignition will not turn off completely, which could cause a dead battery. Also, a "Shift to Park" message will be displayed on the DIC.

Correction

Note: Do NOT tighten these bolts, they are not serviceable.

Inspect the shift cable bracket attaching bolts for being loose. If the bolts are found to be loose, replace the steering column assembly. Do NOT tighten or replace these bolts, they are not serviceable.

If / when any new information becomes available, this PI will be converted into a bulletin.

Edited by newdude

This is the bulletin they gave me. It doesn't really describe my problem. The problem I have is with the electrical solenoid lock that the brake pedal actuates. I think replacing the column will likely fix the problem. Since I can get the shifter to unlock by pushing the telescoping wheel in, it seems the problem is in the column and not the pedal switch. 

PSX_20190611_134359.jpg

PSX_20190611_134337.jpg

Edited by Donnyb313

12 minutes ago, Donnyb313 said:

This is the bulletin they gave me. It doesn't really describe my problem. The problem I have is with the electrical solenoid lock that the brake pedal actuates. I think replacing the column will likely fix the problem. Since I can get the shifter to unlock by pushing the telescoping wheel in, it seems the problem is in the column and not the pedal switch. 

PSX_20190611_134359.jpg

PSX_20190611_134337.jpg

I'm certain a faulty brake pedal sensor would flag all kinds abs taletails

• 4 weeks later...