What kind of oil

Brother if you don't know the why you will not figure out the KIND. I'm on point here and AGREED with you. How often does that happen. Gift horse bother, gift horse. 

Now I'm starting to doubt what is meant by "kind". 

[emoji6]

Sent from above

What I’d like to know is which is the best oil filter? I’ve switched from Mobil1 that captures as small as 30 microns to Napa Platinum that captures as small as 20 microns.

Sent from above

2 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

What I’d like to know is which is the best oil filter? I’ve switched from Mobil1 that captures as small as 30 microns to Napa Platinum that captures as small as 20 microns.

Sent from above

Maybe you should start a thread. :P

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Capt Bob said:

Heat

Wasn't that simple? :sigh:

All lubricants break down with enough heat. None are immune to it but some do better than others. Which ones do the best job at resisting thermal break down? No the answer is not synthetic, that's a type, he wants to know the KIND. Can you list the top three in order from more resistant to least resistant? Is it high wax, high Sulphur Pennsylvania crude based Group I mineral oil? :( (that's a kind, right?)

OAYz8ym.gif

Edited by Grumpy Bear

40 hours! No response? Am I still over analyzing? 

Do you get your information from some oil manufactures web site or blog? Marketing? Perhaps a consumer review! A YouTube video? 540 Rat or Bob the Oil guy? Back of a bottle perhaps. General consensus from an internet forum in debate? Countless, continuous oil thread discussions? Anecdotal evidence? Does personal experience pass for scientific method? You ever actually make a quart of oil? Gasoline? Grease? 

Serious as a heart attack. WHERE are you getting the information you accept as factual? Give this a look: 

Four-Ball Wear Test (ASTM d4172 Mod.)

According to the ASTM, the Four-Ball Wear Test “can be used to determine the relative wear preventive properties of lubricating fluids in sliding contact under the prescribed test conditions. No attempt has been made to correlate this test with balls in rolling contact. The user of this test method should determine to his own satisfaction whether results of this test procedure correlate with field performance or other bench test machines.”1 Although not widely used as an engine oil test, the Four-Ball Wear Test provides a means of comparing relative wear-protection properties of lubricating oils. To better differentiate between lubricants, the severity of the test was increased with higher rpm and temperature (the test standard allows for running the test under modified parameters). The size of the scar as a result of the test indicates the level of wear protection the lubricant provides.

To better differentiate? Under the prescribed test conditions? Then change them? How about to place the test in the region no motor sanely used will ever venture into? 

Now why would that be? Why would this oil supplier/blender use a test not widely accepted whose test method has been altered be using this test to promote their product? Forget a University Education. What does your GUT tell you?

Why would this same supplier graph a half dozen other test of a dozen other oils depicting a 'better' product while in the same graphs show you that every product tested meets the minimum SAE threshold limit? Then make a big deal out of a DEXOS license that every oil meets whether it has the license or not? 

Anyone seeing a pattern here? Here's what I see.

You, as a group, are not analyzing enough!

If you don't stand for something, as the country song goes, you will fall for anything. 

I repeat, what are the three most heat resistant TYPES of oil and I will add redundantly, why does it matter? 

C'mon, Captain Bob already answer half of this. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:36 PM, 05 1500HD said:

I bought my new to me 2014 silverado 5.3 4x4 last September and I'm coming up on my first oil change.  I have put about 3,000 miles on it since I've had it and the oil life is down to about 33%-35% can't remember off the top of my head.  The truck now has about 62,xxx miles on it, I'm not sure what kind of oil has been used in the past.  What would all of you suggest?

Red Line High Performance or AMSOIL Signature Series and a WIX WL10255 or NAPA Gold equivalent (same filter). Change on 5K intervals. These Ecotec3 motors run hotter than your grandmother's Olds and are thermally hard on oil. If you put an actual oil pan temperature gauge it will scare the crap out of you. If it doesn't then you deserve what you get. These two will take a pretty good beating if changed often enough. 

I expect it has never had a trans service either and perhaps not a diff and Xfer case service. Same two suppliers and use the GM trans filter. It's actually a very good one. Cabin and inlet filters. AC Delco OEM. Personally I prefer the Red Line D6 for the transmission but that is a personal choice. I have no preference for the diffs. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear
  • Like 2