AT4 BINDING After 2" Leveling Kit Installed - Nobody Else!?!?

I waited until a fair number of owners installed a leveling kit on their Trailboss or AT4 as for once I didn't want to be the guinea pig.  I installed a 2" Rough Country kit which netted me 1.5" per tape measure.  Whenever I'm at half lock I start to feel the steering binding and it gets progressively worse the closer I get to full lock.  I don't get any wheel hop or chirping but I do get binding that I don't think I'll able to live with.  I've read all the TB/AT4 leveling threads prior to installing and haven't heard anybody experiencing the same binding.

FYI, I can assure the kit is installed as per RC instructions.  I've installed a good number of leveling kits on a good number of vehicles and know what I'm doing.  Nothing unusual or out of wack during the install, piece of cake.  I'm surprised nobody else has experienced this same issue?

Have to start with the easy questions first, but are you in 4wd on dry pavement? How are the cv angles stock on these things?

Edited by J-man67
Adding

Maybe you have an unrelated problem with your differential or shaft?  There is a thread about a jingle or noise coming from drivers side CV Shaft/differential.

Best bet for all of you who want to raise your Trail Bosses / AT4s may be to scrap the 2" factory kit in favor of an aftermarket 4" lift with proper drop hardware for better longevity.

Sure, more time and money but no hassles in the end.

Makes me wonder why no aftermarket has offered a Trail Boss / AT4 approved "Leveling Kit"  ???? :confused:

26 minutes ago, J-man67 said:

Have to start with the easy questions first, but are you in 4wd on dry pavement? How are the cv angles stock on these things?

2wd on pavement when turning.  REALLY noticable when going in reverse.  Truck has OEM DuraTracs and OEM wheels.

Edited by rikhek

20 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Maybe you have an unrelated problem with your differential or shaft?  There is a thread about a jingle or noise coming from drivers side CV Shaft/differential.

Best bet for all of you who want to raise your Trail Bosses / AT4s may be to scrap the 2" factory kit in favor of an aftermarket 4" lift with proper drop hardware for better longevity.

Makes me wonder why no aftermarket has offered a Trail Boss / AT4 approved "Leveling Kit"  ???? :confused:

If it were an unrelated problem I'd have noticed prior to installing the leveling kit.  All your other comments are just "noise" unrelated to the question being asked...

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

few manufacturers are indication they are releasing them this summer. RC for one... but the standard level kit worked for me...

To the OP,  Just installed the Readylift 2" level kit and 3" blocks rear with no issues or binding....  I know you said you're experienced but we all make mistakes....  Make sure everything is installed correctly (ie taper on the level blocks) every thing is torqued to spec, whatever you loosened... control arm bolts, ball joint bolts, steering arms , etc...  

I do agree it sounds like another issue. all wheel drive / 4wd?   jack up front end and see if you bind w no load...

Good luck

EDIT:  when jacked up,  turn wheels to lock and then spin wheels by hand to see if tire is rubbing on a control arm.   I'm using aftermarket wheels but 18 x 8.5 w 0mm offset 

Edited by NHAT4

1 minute ago, rikhek said:

Read the first post in this thread.  It's installed properly as stated, I don't need to check installation.

Well then... Guess you don't need our help.....    Mistakes happen, we're human...  

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, NHAT4 said:

I do agree it sounds like another issue. all wheel drive / 4wd?   jack up front end and see if you bind w no load...

Apparently I am not the only one thinking this way.

Thank you Sam :thumbs:

Just trying to offer suggestions to solve your problem  rikhek. No offense meant to you on your leveling endeavors. TO each their own.

Personally if funds allowed I would scrap the GM "lift" and go with a sturdier aftermarket kit with better suspension than what the Ranchos offer.

I think installer error. Then again he installs a 2 inch spacer lift on top of a 2 inch strut lift and wonders why he has binding issues (4 inches total with out addressing any other angles). Let him figure it out on his own since he is so skilled at wrenching and had great success before...

"Installing a 2.5 spacer lift on the front of a 2010 4x4 without success. I'm using the spacers which mount on the top of the struts. Got it all apart and while putting struts back on I ran into a problem.

The lower shock mount is angled in the bushing. When you rotate the strut 180 degrees to reinstall the lower mount angle is reversed in the wrong direction. This results in the strut angling SIGNIFICANTLY outward away from the top mount. You can put a GREAT DEAL of pressure to push the strut back in towards the top mount. However, the force required winds the lower mount rubber bushing up like a spring. If I were to lose my grip it would snap back with such force that it could cause significant injury. No way could it be good for the components putting this much "spring" tension of the lower bushing.

Left and right strut are identical. Switching sides doesn't work. I ended up putting it all back together in the stock arrangement. Waste of time.

Any thoughts?!?!?!"

Tyler

• Like 2

Tyler, I could not have said it better myself. :thumbs:

Many members here want to max out their suspension and then wonder why they have issues.

Sure.....who doesn't want to save a buck?  But the proper answer is an expensive lift kit and installation by a professional.

45 minutes ago, NHAT4 said:

Well then... Guess you don't need our help.....    Mistakes happen, we're human...  

Correct, I don't need or want help with your "answer" to a question that wasn't asked.  Your response has nothing to do with the very specific question I asked.  The issue on many forums is people want to help, however, they fail to address the question asked.  Would anyone really ask the question I asked without confirming the installation was correct!?!?  Mistakes do happen, such as mistakenly answering a question that wasn't asked.  I painstakingly choose the very specific words in my posts to prevent getting answers to questions I didn't ask. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, JR09country said:

I would start with the alignment. Had a similar issue on my 2013 and it was fixed with a more experienced shop doing the job.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Thanks.  I just finished the install late last night and have an appointment for an alignment tomorrow.  None of the many other leveling kits I've installed have had binding issues prior to the alignment but it's good to hear you've experienced the binding I'm getting.  

38 minutes ago, Sierra Dan said:

Tyler, I could not have said it better myself. :thumbs:

Many members here want to max out their suspension and then wonder why they have issues.

Sure.....who doesn't want to save a buck?  But the proper answer is an expensive lift kit and installation by a professional.

Your response is off base on several points.  I really don't think many people consider a 2" leveling kit as "maxing out the suspension".  Additionally, you state the "proper answer is an....installed by a professional"   WRONG!  That's an answer to a question that wasn't asked and as such, it's a wrong answer.  Also, for the record, I am a professional.