AT4 BINDING After 2" Leveling Kit Installed - Nobody Else!?!?

Trying to add two more inches to an already 2" lifted front end was my point. This is no doubt why the aftermarket has been late to the party with a kit they engineered to work.

I never stated YOU were not a professional.

A professional installer would be one who is in the business every day to lift vehicles with the proper tools and hardware.

No need to take a negative approach to a mis-read or mis-understood response.

It's all good.

Best of luck with your problem and hopefully there is swift and cheap resolution! :thumbs:

1 hour ago, rikhek said:

Read the first post in this thread.  It's installed properly as stated, I don't need to check installation.

I think you're getting hostile with people that are trying to help you ....    understand things can get frustrating. But step back a bit and dismiss what you don't need instead of criticizing people...  someone might chimed in with something you might not have thought about but if the thread goes like this  no one is going to want to even give you any ideas.  I remember years ago I made a mistake once we're all infallible. I may have just made a mistake respond to this comment LOL. Seriously though deep breaths s*** will get it figured out

• Like 2

Dan,

As a degreed engineer and automotive professional who lives by the creed that WORDS ARE IMPORTANT I would also point out a misnomer you made as do others which is posted on the forums daily.  You state, "Trying to add two more inches to an already 2" lifted front end...".

This is not an accurate or technically correct statement.  The AT4/TB IS NOT an "already lifted" front end.  The front end on a AT4/TB is designed and equipped by GM with a suspension that is 2" taller than other 4 wheel drive models.  It IS NOT already lifted.  "Already lifted" implies it's been changed from its original design and delivered height.  GM did not take a standard 4 wheel drive truck and "lift" it.  The AT4/TB come with a suspension DESIGNED to provide 2" more clearance than standard models.

An  analogy demonstrating my point would be to state GM is over stressing the chassis and running gear by installing a 6.2L instead of the 5.3L.  GM is trying to add 70 HP more (i.e., 355 vs. 425) to an already maxed out 5.3L engine.  Not a true statement as the 6.2L is a completely different design than the 5.3L.  It's not a 5.3L with some bolt-on's in some guys garage to produce more power.

Another incorrect example would be stating GM is trying to add 500 lbs payload capacity to a 1/2 ton truck by putting a 3/4 ton sticker on the vehicle.  Not true as the 3/4 ton trucks are designed for the additional payload.

In both examples the machine was designed for the various configurations, they aren't just adding on to an existing component.  The AT4/TB were both designed with different front AND rear suspensions to provide additional ground clearance, they didn't just put a leveling kit on at the factory to get their 2".

25 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I think you're getting hostile with people that are trying to help you ....    understand things can get frustrating. But step back a bit and dismiss what you don't need instead of criticizing people...  someone might chimed in with something you might not have thought about but if the thread goes like this  no one is going to want to even give you any ideas.  I remember years ago I made a mistake once we're all infallible. I may have just made a mistake respond to this comment LOL. Seriously though deep breaths s*** will get it figured out

I'm not being hostile, I'm stating facts.  Some people don't like it when you point out their "facts" are incorrect.  I didn't criticize anybody, I corrected them.  I have no tolerance for "participation" posts, they're as meaningful as participation trophies....

Dismissing what I don't need doesn't help anybody improve and wastes a educational opportunity.

Edited by rikhek

1 hour ago, rikhek said:

Correct, I don't need or want help with your "answer" to a question that wasn't asked.  Your response has nothing to do with the very specific question I asked.  The issue on many forums is people want to help, however, they fail to address the question asked.  Would anyone really ask the question I asked without confirming the installation was correct!?!?  Mistakes do happen, such as mistakenly answering a question that wasn't asked.  I painstakingly choose the very specific words in my posts to prevent getting answers to questions I didn't ask. 

You need to get your panties untwisted... 

I responded / answered your question...    "I've read all the TB/AT4 leveling threads prior to installing and haven't heard anybody experiencing the same binding."

My response was.... "To the OP,  Just installed the Readylift 2" level kit and 3" blocks rear with no issues or binding...."

And then I suggested the logical steps to rule out issues...  as did many others... 

And I also drove 100+ miles after the install before my alignment without binding issues...

But sounds like you are an all knowing degreed engineer whom doesn't need our help but yet here you are asking for input on a web forum...   You sir are an @ss hole.  Good luck with your issue...  I'm out...

Edited by NHAT4
  • Like 5

17 minutes ago, NHAT4 said:

You need to get your panties untwisted... 

I responded / answered your question...    "I've read all the TB/AT4 leveling threads prior to installing and haven't heard anybody experiencing the same binding."

My response was.... "To the OP,  Just installed the Readylift 2" level kit and 3" blocks rear with no issues or binding...."

And then I suggested the logical steps to rule out issues...  as did many others... 

And I also drove 100+ miles after the install before my alignment without binding issues...

But sounds like you are an all knowing degreed engineer whom doesn't need our help but yet here you are asking for input on a web forum...   You sir are an @ss hole.  Good luck with your issue...  I'm out...

Sounds like you can't take criticism, constructive or otherwise without resorting to childish name calling.  You say you're out but you won't be able to resist, you'll be back.  It's a shame you can't have an adult conversation of fact without getting butt hurt.  Whatever.  All you had to do was answer the question by stating that you didn't experience any binding.  Too bad you're not willing to learn when the opportunity is presented and that you have an inferiority complex in dealing with intelligent, educated people.  It's actually fun getting into a battle of wits with a defenseless, uneducated and ignorant person.

BTW, you should change your avatar.  The circus is looking for the person who stole the wheels off their clown car...

I can only name a handful of guys who went with a full 2” lift on the TB/AT4.  Majority went with the 1.5” while the rest went with the 1” lift.  Motofab themselves only recommend the 1” lift on these trucks.  I would say get a smaller lift, don’t think going 2” is a safe thing and it seems you are running into why it’s not recommended.  I did the 1” and have zero issues, I also only have 3/4” rake, you can’t even tell it’s not level without measuring.

Good point.  I'm also not certain why I only got 1.5" of actual lift from the 2" lift kit.  I saw the same as your pointing out that many have gone 1.5" so I think you might be onto something.  A 1/2" isn't much to most but when you consider how complicated chassis design is with dynamic angles and loads it's a science unto itself.  The extra 1/2" is certainly a possible cause for the binding.  I might just order a 1.5" as you suggested just to experiment and determine if that extra 1/2" exceeds the threshold for the current design.  Interesting even with the 2" that only gave me 1.5" I've still got 1.0" of rake with the front at 39.5" and the rear at 40.5".

If people are actually getting 1.5" of lift from a 1.5" kit I'd end up where I'm at right now while possible eliminating the binding.  No down side to doing as you suggest except for the relatively insignificant cost of a Motofab 1.5" kit.

It would pay to humble yourself. Instead of pointing out how everyone is wrong just say thanks. Might get more parties interested in helping.

I have an AT4 but have left it stock so far. I have been interested in adding a level to the front too. I get that gm engineered these trucks to be this way from the factory but take a look at the parts that make them different. Its nothing more than a glorified level kit with different axles. Does not come with different control arms etc. So adding another 2 inches is not exactly stacking 2 inches on a 2 inch level but its not far from it either. 

I hope you get it figured out and share with the community what the problem/fix was. 

• Like 1

The "Lift" offered by GM from the factory and for purchase through GM accessories consists of

Longer Front Shocks, Longer Rear Shocks, Taller Rear blocks and Longer CV axles.

These components work together to raise a standard truck 2" (Give or Take).

Is there any disagreement on that statement?

A True " Lift Kit" consists of brackets, spindles and other components that when bolted on raise the

vehicle by the amount desired/offered by the kit.

I am fully aware that the Trail Boss and AT4 components are not comprised of a True "Lift Kit"

That being said,  my opinion in theory is that leveling keys/spacers are essentially components

that "Lift" the Front end of vehicles to make them more "Level" with the rear hence "Leveling Kit".

Honestly speaking by throwing in a lower key or upper spacer you are essentially "Lifting" the front end

of the Vehicle because the Arms are being pushed down thus raising the front of the vehicle.

So, in my mind (I use SolidWorks Daily )  ,  a leveling component does Lift a vehicle.

Adding a 2" spacer to the Trail Boss/AT4 Lifts the front end even more in addition to the 2" GM Kit.

If it was as simple as that based on what you and others have done why have all leveling companies not

already offered them right along side the K2 truck leveling systems?

Because there is more to the front suspension of a T1 than on a K2 so it is not that simple.

The Most evident design change is in the steering knuckle. 

Adding spacers may work but what long term impact is there on the entire front suspension and steering?

If you are at 2" taller in the front and go 2 more by pushing the envelope, why not just install a 4" lift kit?

That was my point. And I hope my statement makes sense.

• Like 1