Please help, unfixable fuel mileage

Hey guys. So im suffering from horrible fuel mileage with my truck, its a 99 silverado 5.3 4x4 with 3.73s and 33 inch tires, when i bought it, it got a solid 10mpg, now im getting around 9- 9.5, and the inside of the motor is perfect. No sludge or carbon buildup or anything, runs and shifts great no noises or anything.

So far i have done everything i can to change it 

02,sensors fuel filter, oil filter, air filter, knock sensors, cleaned fuel injectors, new plugs, brand new cats, seafoamed it, fresh and full oil all the way around, i drive it very easy and never stomp on the gas, i even have an hptuners custom tune on it and even that didnt change gas mileage, im stuck and not sure what else to do, im at my witts end with this truck and i would love to get at the most 15mpg. Doubt i can but im shooting for more than 9.5, any help is appreciated, thank you 

1) how many miles have you put on since the purchase?

2) have the tires/wheels been installed since you purchased?

3) have you ever corrected your speedometer/odometer for the larger tires?  If not, your odometer is under-reporting miles driven and therefore under-reporting mileage.  

4) how long have you noticed the decrease in mileage?  coincide with changing temperatures/fuel blends?  0.5-1 mpg is not much to be concerned with.  Your truck, as equipped, getting that mileage doesn't sound too far off... the best I'd muster with mine, stock with under 50k miles when I had it, was 18 mpg on pure highway (like over a full tank with the cruise set to 69 and no stops).  I could easily see 33s knocking that down considerably.

5) how many miles on it?

6) how are you *sure* the motor is "perfect" inside... did you pull the valve covers?  send a boroscope down the spark plug holes?  compression test it?

7) ever change the drivetrain fluids?  on my 60k mile '14 Ram Hemi CC 4x4, I picked up 2 mpg when I replaced the differential fluids with Redline full synthetic.  Also check for dragging brakes (especially the parking brake).

• Like 1

212k miles, pulled valvcover and yes i used a borescooe camera and looks amazing for the miles, i habe replaced all fluids,  speedo is corrected and i put wheels and tires on it myself, no vacuum leaks, clean perfectly functioning maf sensor, cleaned TB 100% about 3 days ago

also check for exhaust leaks ahead of the O2 sensors.  The exhaust can suck in clean air, and it fools the O2 sensors into thinking the engine is running lean, so the ECM increases how much fuel is put in.  Broken off bolts in the the exhaust manifolds is a common cause of this, but it can also be the exhaust manifold to exhaust pipe gasket as well.

It could, or at least contribute significantly to it, as it doesn't take a lot of clean air to really throw off the reading, and then the ecm will just start dumping in fuel because it's reading that the engine is too lean.  And if the air leak isn't big enough to cause the ecm to hit the fuel trim limits, it won't generate a code, you just wind up running the engine really rich all the time.

Wheels and weight/rolling resistance of the tires by itself could easily account for 0.5 to 1 mpg difference.  New tires of any type, especially LT rated mud-terrain tires, have increased rolling resistance as compared to an all-terrain or highway tire or old, worn-out tire.  Also, around here, the difference between Winter gas and Summer gas (EPA smog crap for metro areas) and any associated ethanol content can also account for a mpg difference.   

Obviously, to get a 50% increase (up to 15mpg) in fuel mileage on a truck that is well-maintained and 'running right', you're looking at a change in ride height/tire size-tread-weight/transmission/gearing/aero drag/driving style/truck owned/all of the above.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TXGREEK said:

Start with some new narrower highway tires. I lost 3-4 mpg’s when I switched from stock 32” to 34”

Sent from above

What? We agree again? Is this going to be a habit? :uhoh: :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What? We agree again? Is this going to be a habit? :uhoh: :thumbs:

We’ll get along great if you just don’t over analyze everything, I know, your engineer mind and a bit of OCD contributes to it lol.

Sent from above