MSRP Max discount how and target - troubleshooting a sale

Will be buying a 2020 AT4.  GMC configurator for the 2019 model shows a price of $62650.

we all know we can get $10,000 off a truck on the lot.  Have seen ads for 20% off before but wonder if these are for models that there are many of.

1.  Can you get the same discount if you custom order?  How would one approach this? 

2.  What is the max percentage one can get below MSRP?

3.  Willing to wait until the best sale all year?  What would be the absolute best time for best price?

4.  Is the way to get maximum dealer discounts is to finance with GM?  Then pay the loan off with a credit union loan in 3 months.

Edited by Elpresidente

You will get the incentives available at the time of delivery.  You can always walk away from it.  I ordered one and they said 57.  I walked. They still have it and have it listed at 51.  

9 hours ago, Elpresidente said:

Will be buying a 2020 AT4.  GMC configurator for the 2019 model shows a price of $62650.

we all know we can get $10,000 off a truck on the lot.  Have seen ads for 20% off before but wonder if these are for models that there are many of.

1.  Can you get the same discount if you custom order?  How would one approach this? 

2.  What is the max percentage one can get below MSRP?

3.  Willing to wait until the best sale all year?  What would be the absolute best time for best price?

4.  Is the way to get maximum dealer discounts is to finance with GM?  Then pay the loan off with a credit union loan in 3 months.

Incentives for the next model year are usually lower than the outgoing initially.  As the 2019 sell down more, the 2020 incentives will go up.  You might not get nowhere near 10k of a 2020.  You might be able to get invoice or supplier on a 2020, but if there are any other incentives they will be less.      

Edited by newdude

It is easily done if your buying a 2020 from November 2020 through June 2021

hoping people here can talk about their success stories..  specifically the how, the approach and answer all four questions.

Edited by Elpresidente

19 hours ago, Elpresidente said:

It is easily done if your buying a 2020 from November 2020 through June 2020.

hoping people here can talk about their success stories..  specifically the how, the approach and answer all four questions.

I can guarantee you will not find 10K off a 2020 in November of 2020.  

1. You can get the same incentives, but you're going to have a difficult time getting the advertised discounts whether it is on the lot or custom ordered because the advertised discounts include all available bonuses and incentives available at that particular dealer. Most people won't qualify for all of them.

2. Max percentage below MSRP is dependent on what you bring to the table and how badly the dealership wants to move that vehicle. Inventory volume bonuses for the dealership come into play around the middle and end of each month and can help incentivize the dealership to sell at a lower price. 20%-25% below MSRP is a good starting point, but don't expect the dealership to accept that. Always negotiate the price as Truck + Tax + Tag + Title + Processing fees (no more than $75). Everything else is a unnecessary markup. Always be good with walking away. Never get stuck on a single vehicle.

3. If you wait for the "best" sale, you may never get it. Dealerships don't know which incentives are coming down the pipe until they put in place and generally specific sale times aren't 100% consistent. But there are annual events like "Truck Month" or months leading up to the next model year that may provide good deals. The absolute best time to buy would be when you've done your research and are financially capable to buy.

4. The way to get maximum dealer discounts is to find out which GM incentives you qualify for and check multiple dealerships around you to see what they offer in conjunction with the GM incentives. Financing through GM can increase the discount IF they are offering it. But you don't have to wait three months to payoff or refinance as long as it is a simple interest place, which they usually are. You can payoff or refinance as soon as you get an account number.

Thank you greatly.   One follow up.  

With a higher end trim.  For a truck that is optioned in the 61K to 65K range.  Will be buying a AT4 but we are in Denali price range here.

Do you or the community find that dealers discount less off MSRP trucks with a higher price?  

Higher priced objects will always attract fewer buyers; they have less liquidity.  Although the AT4 and Denali models there are fewer of them and the people looking for them usually can afford them more.  Or is it just an object and you can get 20%+ off MSRP on any product.  It just takes the right approach.

On 6/16/2019 at 6:58 PM, Elpresidente said:

Thank you greatly.   One follow up.  

With a higher end trim.  For a truck that is optioned in the 61K to 65K range.  Will be buying a AT4 but we are in Denali price range here.

Do you or the community find that dealers discount less off MSRP trucks with a higher price?  

Higher priced objects will always attract fewer buyers; they have less liquidity.  Although the AT4 and Denali models there are fewer of them and the people looking for them usually can afford them more.  Or is it just an object and you can get 20%+ off MSRP on any product.  It just takes the right approach.

Normally the higher the price, the more mark up the car has - I think you're thinking too far into this.

Edited by BAD_GMC

• 4 months later...

Was not a huge pile of incentives when I bought the truck.  

MSRP was $66430.  
Bought it for $57180 in early Oct.

SepT and Oct are probably the months one gets the least deals all year.  

As the 2020 trucks are new, and the lots are still loaded with 2019 and 2018 old style models.

In the end got 14% off.

Hopefully this helps others..

Edited by Elpresidente

2 hours ago, Elpresidente said:

SepT and Oct are probably the months one gets the least deals all year.  

As the 2020 trucks are new, and the lots are still loaded with 2019 and 2018 old style models.

I would clarify that - Sept/Oct are actually great months for deals *if* you are buying current year truck.  If you are buying next year's, yes - incentives are low. 

If you are willing to take a truck off their lot that is now considered "last year"  (even though it is still 2019 for 2 more months) - they will give you a better deal than going for the latest model.

• Like 1

For sure.  The major requirement was adaptive cruise control which was only available in the 2020 or new model year.

The 2019s not sure what i could have gotten off.  I know the starting price off was 20%+ MSRP on the ones on sale on the lots.  So well above that number 25% should have been easy; just not sure where the reality is between 25% and 30% for the 2019s would have been.

• 1 month later...

I bought a 2017 and a 2018 from Laura GMC in the 25% to 28% range and I had a long running price watch on a 2019. They sent me an email at 30% off so I  called with a credit card about 10 seconds after I saw the email LOL.  Unfortunately they refused to honor the price in their email, they said the email was a mistake?  Anyway I worked a deal with a local dealer here in TN for a new 19 that was not quite as good of a discount but it was fair and I saved myself a 9 hour road trip drive to Laura and back. I will post up some pics of the White Frost 19 Denali soon.