Speaker brand recommendation and sub location

How did you get past the loud chimes when amplifying the speakers? Im building now and i think i figired it out but i want a secind opinion

Are you talking about the door chime? Yeah it’s loud as a mother. Haven’t tried messing with anything to fix that yet. Was waiting til I can’t handle it anymore. Lol. Let me know if you figure something out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mikedeezxxx said:

Are you talking about the door chime? Yeah it’s loud as a mother. Haven’t tried messing with anything to fix that yet. Was waiting til I can’t handle it anymore. Lol. Let me know if you figure something out.

Dsp with input gain. And setting the gain lower on the amp helps. @Marv88 is doing my truck and i think figured it out

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Edited by Nasty

Dsp with input gain. And setting the gain lower on the amp helps. [mention=164287]Marv88[/mention] is doing my truck and i think figured it out

Cool. I’ll check it out. I think my dsp has input gain adjustment. Thank you

10 hours ago, Nasty said:

Dsp with input gain. And setting the gain lower on the amp helps. @Marv88 is doing my truck and i think figured it out

Doesn't the gain effect the sub? Thus lowering the gain would lower the sub?

9 minutes ago, Penguin VII said:

Doesn't the gain effect the sub? Thus lowering the gain would lower the sub?

Gain isnt a volume knob. Gain is there to match output voltage of the source unit. 

1 minute ago, Nasty said:

Gain isnt a volume knob. Gain is there to match output voltage of the source unit. 

Understood, but changing the output voltage also changes the volume right? I have heard conflicting stories here. Some say that you set the gain then don't touch it, others keep the knob easily accessible to adjust.

Understood, but changing the output voltage also changes the volume right? I have heard conflicting stories here. Some say that you set the gain then don't touch it, others keep the knob easily accessible to adjust.
Knob as in bass knob?

11 minutes ago, Nasty said:

Knob as in bass knob?

I think I'm conflating two things. I had thought that since the gain does change the bass output people were using a second knob to function as gain. Upon further reading I'm seeing that the bass knob is actually a second thing that simply adjusts the volume of the bass and doesn't affect the gain.

Sorry for the confusion, that was on my end. Still trying to piece together all the parts here.

I think I'm conflating two things. I had thought that since the gain does change the bass output people were using a second knob to function as gain. Upon further reading I'm seeing that the bass knob is actually a second thing that simply adjusts the volume of the bass and doesn't affect the gain.

Sorry for the confusion, that was on my end. Still trying to piece together all the parts here.
Badd knobs that come with amps are no good. I call those distorsion knobs. You need yourself a nice pac lc1 knob it cuts voltage rather than boosting whatever frequency the amp knobs are set to

2 minutes ago, Nasty said:

Badd knobs that come with amps are no good. I call those distorsion knobs. You need yourself a nice pac lc1 knob it cuts voltage rather than boosting whatever frequency the amp knobs are set to

Yeah, this whole world is new to me. I've never upgraded any car audio and although I think I've got a good ear I couldn't tell you the first thing about most setups. That alone may be a reason I should get a pro to install everything once I've decided on components, however I'm always interested in learning and I do enjoy the DIY.

It's raining here today so would have made for a good day to get out and check out systems, sadly it seems that every car audio place is closed on Sunday. Too bad.

The car audio components today are very confusing to me. I used to hook up systems in the 90’s. Was fairly easy to understand back than. Today’s car audio you have to know how to use a computer to set everything which always confuses me. I had to have my set up installed by a professional. I didnt even take a try at it. Just wanted it done right the first time and haven’t had to mess with it since. It’s well worth the price for pro install on today’s vehicles.

31 minutes ago, mikedeezxxx said:

The car audio components today are very confusing to me. I used to hook up systems in the 90’s. Was fairly easy to understand back than. Today’s car audio you have to know how to use a computer to set everything which always confuses me. I had to have my set up installed by a professional. I didnt even take a try at it. Just wanted it done right the first time and haven’t had to mess with it since. It’s well worth the price for pro install on today’s vehicles.

I can agree in general but I think I need to find the right balance between everything. I think there is definitely value in getting everything professionally installed, but on the flip side I don't know if it's $800 of value. I guess time will tell me.

1 hour ago, mikedeezxxx said:

Its actually easier now.  Im am no good on a computer either but its using a dsp now is way easier than using crossovers and eqs.  And you dont have to make it that difficult either