In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

CCWray

CTS-V 6 Piston Brembo Brake retrofit?

Tried searching around but coming up empty. Has anyone had success, or attempted to upgrade to 2009+ (2nd gen) CTS-V brakes?

It appears the Baer upgrade rotors are the same size as the CTS-V, and I’m able to model and make brackets if needed. But wanted to check first if anyone has attempted or been successful with this upgrade before spending the money on all the parts

Thanks in advance for any input!

76CCA5C2-EEDA-4D24-9D87-7481492E310C.jpeg

• Like 1

Post the part number and the rotor size.
The bracket to fit caliper to spindle isn't a huge issue assuming the CTS-v is larger then our stock.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Post the part number and the rotor size.
The bracket to fit caliper to spindle isn't a huge issue assuming the CTS-v is larger then our stock.

Rotor from Baer I believe is PN# 6920962 which is a 15” diameter, 1.25” thick rotor. Same as 2nd gen CTS-V. At the moment I’m more concerned about getting the fronts to work, but I believe Baer has a similar rear rotor upgrade as well 

So that Baer number is the rotor for our trucks? and then you want to run that rotor and the CTS-v caliper? 

Quick search seams it isn't much worth it. I agree huge stopping power but cost over performance it is a lose.

The wilwood 6 piston is much larger, more rotor/caliper/pad/and size options, and we know it fits. 

I am seeing the calipers for front are $700 and rear are another $400. then pads and rotors. These rotors are $270 each. and still need the custom adapter brackets. 

I very soon need better front brakes but need to nail down rim and tires first. see limited on rim size. But 1800-2k gets huge two piece rotors powder coated calipers and pads. Lines are extra. 

But if you get the bracket worked out please post. I would be interest to know other options. 

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitSearch?year=2016&make=GMC&model=Sierra+1500&option=Denali&axle=Front+Kit

https://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/BrakeKitSearch?year=2016&make=GMC&model=Sierra+1500&option=Denali&axle=Rear+Kit

• Like 1

Just saw the gm 22" say will not clear the brembo brakes. Another win on wilwood.
But again if you make it work I may still go GM as I get the parts.

Posted (edited)

GM sells a big brake upgrade (front only), its a huge upgrade, rear brakes are not really needed as they work fine, Fronts are under sized and GM will continue to sell rotors and pads for the big brake upgrade so if you need parts down the road, and dont forget your spare tire will be too small for bigger brakes.

Brembo is vastly superior which is also who makes the GM big brake upgrade. Wilwood is cheaper aftermarket option, really wish folks would stop listing them. Its funny to see more folks used take off Brembos over wilwood's and for good reason as you never see them on real production vehicles or high end track/race cars.

Edited by camcamaro1991
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, camcamaro1991 said:

GM sells a big brake upgrade (front only), its a huge upgrade, rear brakes are not really needed as they work fine, Fronts are under sized and GM will continue to sell rotors and pads for the big brake upgrade so if you need parts down the road, and dont forget your spare tire will be too small for bigger brakes.

Brembo is vastly superior which is also who makes the GM big brake upgrade. Wilwood is cheaper aftermarket option, really wish folks would stop listing them. Its funny to see more folks used take off Brembos over wilwood's and for good reason as you never see them on real production vehicles or high end track/race cars.

Yea but two comments. 

Wilwood is on a shit ton of racecars so that's factually incorrect. Its a good kit with alot of good reviews. If your trying to compare that kit to REAL brembo's, kit for kit, the Brembo is superior. 

Take off brembos from the CTS-V are good quality calipers. The GM kit is like the crappiest Brembo kit available with a shitty design. 

In for CTSV calipers.. I need a bracket!

The calipers are cheap and are nice and I want them 

• Like 1

Yes wilwood is great product I have had them on a few race cars. Baer had some better or i should say high rated products for more money and real high end brembo is amazing stuff. But again price point here is a factor. 

You also need to balance out the system. Meaning 10k brembo in carbon ceramic. Are just going to work on the factory brake system in our trucks. 

I love this idea I just believe the txr6 is better kit. Both in price and performance. But there is a market for both.

The Brembo Performance Brake Upgrade System fits vehicles optioned with 20 or 22-inch wheels, EXCEPT the SEU option wheel. This product does not void the new vehicle limited warranty when installed by an authorized dealer.
Brembo Performance Brake Upgrade System part numbers:
· Chevrolet - 84409023 (<- new part #)
· GMC - 84409024 
(<- new part #)
· Cadillac – 84409025 (<- new part #)
The Brembo Performance Brake Upgrade System packages are sold through Chevrolet, GMC and Cadillac new car dealers and can be purchased online at Chevrolet.com/accessories, GMC.com/accessories and Cadillac.com/accessories.

I'd install these before retrofitting CTSV brakes

Is the Sue option wheels the Denali ultimate style. Because my wheels had a note that said fits all 2014+ but not brembo brake kit.
My dealer had 2 truck I saw with this kit on them. But they are the 550hp trucks.

5 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

Is the Sue option wheels the Denali ultimate style. Because my wheels had a note that said fits all 2014+ but not brembo brake kit.
My dealer had 2 truck I saw with this kit on them. But they are the 550hp trucks.

No, you mean SEU no Sue.

It is a 22" twin split 6 spoke made for the Cadillac Escalade's

https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-22-quot-wheel-6-split-spoke-chrome-84346101

Auto correct switched it. Ok but the ultimate Denali has a note that said does not clear brembo brakes. I don't know.

17 hours ago, camcamaro1991 said:

The Brembo Performance Brake Upgrade System fits vehicles optioned with 20 or 22-inch wheels, EXCEPT the SEU option wheel. This product does not void the new vehicle limited warranty when installed by an authorized dealer.
Brembo Performance Brake Upgrade System part numbers:
· Chevrolet - 84409023 (<- new part #)
· GMC - 84409024 
(<- new part #)
· Cadillac – 84409025 (<- new part #)
The Brembo Performance Brake Upgrade System packages are sold through Chevrolet, GMC and Cadillac new car dealers and can be purchased online at Chevrolet.com/accessories, GMC.com/accessories and Cadillac.com/accessories.

I'd install these before retrofitting CTSV brakes

Given the choice, I'd buy wildwoods over this kit. Thos look like cheap Chinese style calipers. But, for those that like the support from the factory it's probably ok. They go for 1500 on ebay regularly. There's a Cadillac kit up. 

I'd be real careful about doing any sort of OEM based swap. There are other dimensions that come into play in a car vs truck. Not just oh it's bigger and has more pistons. Rotor thickness, pad swept area, pad thickness  pad contact area , etc..for a much heavier vehicle all come into play.

For like a /3rd/4th gen camaro to add another GM vette/Cadillac  of similar weight you are into a more apples to apples swap that still has potential problems with brake bias and master cylinder piston area/size. It works in a lot of cases, but not always plug and play.  Same issues plus the one mentioned in the 1st paragraph for trucks.

All the more reason to spend a couple of hundred bucks more on an aftermarket kit. The 2019 truck brake swap sounds better but may not be that much more of an improvement, who knows and may have different master/booster.

Wilwood is not junk, nor is GM oem. Just Wilwood even states that their system needs increased maintenance so you have to keep that in mind. Not saying Wilwood is the best, but wouldn't hesitate to run it either as they are a good value. Brakes are the last area I would cut corners. You have an accident with your cobbled together brake system and hurt somebody or yourself and it's on you.

If  your looking to save a buck just get real good pads, decent rotors, braided lines and serious fluid. If you want real brakes, save pennies and get a real system and make sure you understand proper set up and break in. Good aftermarket systems will showcase the OEM inadequacies. Just like suspension, you only know the best you have run.

I want this. I will  NOT buy stock replacement brakes when the time comes. Only issue is once this is on truck I will be limited on wheel I can run so trying to figure it out first. Right now I am looking at 22x10 with a 305/40/22.

I have read but and I like this caliper design best and the slotted not drilled. Also can't make up my mind on caliper color. Red, brickyard(may match truck), or the silver. 

brake_kit_140-13876-R-xl.jpg