Does the headliner need to be lowered or removed to install accessories?

I want to install a 2 channel dash cam; front and rear, in my truck (2017 dbl cab 4x4). I already have the front one in and hardwired.  To add the rear one, it appears that the headliner needs to be lowered, to get the wire hidden and out of the way. However, to do that it appears it's a pretty involved job; requiring removing the a,b and c pillar trim, as well as the rear seats.

Is there an easier way?

Has anyone done this that could comment?

When I did mine I used the trim tool and fed the wires into the headliner edges. You will need to remove the a pillar, door sills and see other trim pieces. My rear cameras cable is fed from the rear headliner, down the driver's side rear seat trim, you'll have to feed the cable through a maze of components behind the rear driver's trim and between the seat belt mechanism down to the rear door door will. Then you'll have to feed it through the middle trim at the floor and through the driver's front door sills. All the way up through the dash to the a-pillar and finally too the front cam. 

You could also put the rear camera external of the cab. Run the wire thru the cab rear plastic vent thingy between cab an bed.

Or, there is a rubber plug in the floor also there behind seat. Drill a hole in it an run wire in there. Rtv it closed.

Edited by Paintor

10 hours ago, Paintor said:

You could also put the rear camera external of the cab. Run the wire thru the cab rear plastic vent thingy between cab an bed.

Or, there is a rubber plug in the floor also there behind seat. Drill a hole in it an run wire in there. Rtv it closed.

Still have to get the wire up to the front camera. Also, I believe the camera I have isn't designed for exterior use.

12 hours ago, chrispassas21 said:

What kind of dash cams are you guys using? I’m looking to get the double channel front/rear dash cams for my 2015

2015 Silverado LT Midnight Edition
4.5” CST suspension lift
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is the one I have:

https://www.blackboxmycar.ca/collections/viofo/products/viofo-a129

The site also has several other 2 channel options.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

No feed it around edges or fish it with a fish line or huge 3ft zip tie.

I tried several times to fish a line from the front headliner console space to the back by the 3rd brake light. The fishline goes all the way back, but I can't locate it thru the 3rd brakelight cavity. Also tried going from back to front with no success.
If there is a better way/method, I'm all ears.

I use the 4 foot zie tie or worst case a old antenna. But if it doesn't work run it around the edge. You can pull the seal down and CAREFULLY slip the wire in with your fingers. Do not pull down on headliner

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

13 hours ago, chrispassas21 said:

What kind of dash cams are you guys using? I’m looking to get the double channel front/rear dash cams for my 2015

2015 Silverado LT Midnight Edition
4.5” CST suspension lift
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Viofo a129 dual hardwired in.

Edited by jaxcam02

2 hours ago, 1SLOW1500 said:

I use the 4 foot zie tie or worst case a old antenna. But if it doesn't work run it around the edge. You can pull the seal down and CAREFULLY slip the wire in with your fingers. Do not pull down on headliner

Where are you feeding the fish line (zip tie) from and where to?

PS is that Brad Lackie in your avy?

Where are you feeding the fish line (zip tie) from and where to?

PS is that Brad Lackie in your avy?
Any way you can get it to go no real path I would guess you are hiting wires or metal. You need to visualize what you are doing and "ride" the hidden side of the headliner so you miss the shapes in the roof panel. As the headliner is smooth. Hope that makes sense.

No idea it was just a funny image. I get many comments on it. My Facebook image is the original most interesting man dos equis.