Clamped open flapper and covered all 6 exhaust screens. Cost me less than $20 at home depot. The exhaust screens first didn't do that much. Clamping open the flapper seemed to make the most difference.

Side note. Check your flapper. Mine appeared to stuck and didn't want to open and close freely until I rotated it by hand several times.

I would say it is now one notch below the borla touring I had on my 16 z71 5.3.

I was also surprised with the flapper clamped open, I really didn't defect any of the helicopter noise I used to get on the 16 5.3 truck I had in V4. I do have duratacs for tires so maybe it does helicopter a little bit and I just don't hear it.

I also like that it doesn't make a whistling noise as the air moves past the flapper valve that I used to hear when I had my back window open and stomped on it.

I think the exhaust sounds just right now. Not quite hey look at me loud, it sounds like a real v8 now. Especially on a cold start. And if you don't like, I can put it back to stock in less than 5 minutes.678d8cbe5dc4279ba2fd6f01dac251f6.jpg497625ce0e13f2137e5e89171bf6cbeb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

5.3 has 1. I have heard 6.2 has one on either side.

I did this to mine tonight and it seemed to have some more rumble. I will look forward to the cold start in the morning. I'm guessing the flapper valve is open when turned clockwise? 

I did this to mine tonight and it seemed to have some more rumble. I will look forward to the cold start in the morning. I'm guessing the flapper valve is open when turned clockwise? 
I don't recall which way they turn. I just look at the spring, you can see it compressing and getting tighter, that is the direction to rotate it.

It's not an earth shattering difference but it is just enough to keep me from wanting shell out over a grand for a bolt on system or chopping up the pipes for a cut out or muffler delete

• Like 1

How was the cold start?

17 hours ago, ShamrockShooter said:

I gave it the mustard pulling out of work yesterday, and this morning a co-worker asked me what aftermarket exhaust I put on my truck. Guess it must sound louder outside too.

What sheet metal did you use to cover the resonator screens?

Also what size were the clamps you used for the valve?

Edit: just read the response on another thread :) 

took a pic and heading to HomeDepot this afternoon.

Edited by asalinasz39

What sheet metal did you use to cover the resonator screens?
Also what size were the clamps you used for the valve?
You could use beer cans probably but I just grabbed a piece of galvanized sheet metal from the HVAC ductwork section at home Depot. It was maybe 2ft x 3 ft cost $7. It was the smallest piece they had that was flat.

I don't remember what size clamps I used for the flapper as I had a few of those on hand. Just measure the diameter of the round knob on the flapper and add a half inch to get the clamp size. I got a flat galvanized rectangular bracket from the hardware section to go between the two clamps on the flapper.

1 minute ago, ShamrockShooter said:

You could use beer cans probably but I just grabbed a piece of galvanized sheet metal from the HVAC ductwork section at home Depot. It was maybe 2ft x 3 ft cost $7. It was the smallest piece they had that was flat.

I don't remember what size clamps I used for the flapper as I had a few of those on hand. Just measure the diameter of the round knob on the flapper and add a half inch to get the clamp size. I got a flat galvanized rectangular bracket from the hardware section to go between the two clamps on the flapper.

Thanks! I did notice the rectangular bracket.  I have a piece of that laying around in the garage. I am a hoarder lol

I had read before on people use exhaust tape to cover the mesh screens and that was going to be my original go to...but I was too lazy to stop by an auto parts. This method however has me motivated especially with the results you achieved. I had previously tried clamping only the flapper valve and noticed no difference but with the screens covered I am looking forward to the new rumble. 

On 6/19/2019 at 8:56 AM, ShamrockShooter said:

How was the cold start?

It's hard to judge it cause I forgot to take a before and after cold start video..

4 hours ago, asalinasz39 said:

Thanks! I did notice the rectangular bracket.  I have a piece of that laying around in the garage. I am a hoarder lol

I had read before on people use exhaust tape to cover the mesh screens and that was going to be my original go to...but I was too lazy to stop by an auto parts. This method however has me motivated especially with the results you achieved. I had previously tried clamping only the flapper valve and noticed no difference but with the screens covered I am looking forward to the new rumble. 

Please do us a favor and do a before and after cold start!