New to GM, getting a new Truck. Need some reassurance.

I'm about to make the Switch from RAM to GM and am trying to ease my and my wife's mind.

I currently have a 2014 RAM 1500 Sport with 2WD with the 5.7L Hemi. We absolutely love the truck. It's never failed me and looks good to boot.

However, I recently made the business decision to switch GMCs and I have been looking at a Sierra AT4 6.2L. I'm trying to convince myself, and my wife, that it will ride at least as good as what I have. I'm not a huge fan of the look of the new RAM even though it is full of goodies. I understand that the Denali is going to have the best ride, but it's just got too much chrome for my taste.

So my question to the people that have gone the same path, or at least has experience with both, what am are my trade-offs, if any?

My 6.2 AT4 rides amazing. Best riding vehicle I've ever owned.

Definitely stick with the 6.2 and the 10 speed. You won't be happy with the 5.3 coming from the hemi

Happy to answer any questions you have if I can

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

You will find that Ford, GM and RAM all make nice riding 1/2 ton pickups.  Chances are they will all offer many trouble free miles of enjoyment but you may find a lemon with either brand.    Pick the truck that appeals to you the most.  My first choice will have a GMC badge on the front and my fourth would have a RAM logo.

• Like 3

Not what I have heard, the coil spring Ram rides better in all the reviews I have read, just a nature of having coils all around. 

Also the 5.3 is as fast or faster than the 5.7 Ram, so if you are good with your current power the 5.3 will keep you plenty happy. It will save you some coin and a little better mpg. Switching to 4wd with bring some penalties though, if you don't need that there are other routes...

Tyler

1 minute ago, amxguy1970 said:

Not what I have heard, the coil spring Ram rides better in all the reviews I have read, just a nature of having coils all around. 

Also the 5.3 is as fast or faster than the 5.7 Ram, so if you are good with your current power the 5.3 will keep you plenty happy. It will save you some coin and a little better mpg. Switching to 4wd with bring some penalties though, if you don't need that there are other routes...

Tyler

I loved the 5.7, but I also have the 3.92 rear end which makes it a little sportier. I don't need 4x4, but there have many been times I wish I had it.

55 minutes ago, cbacarisse said:

I'm about to make the Switch from RAM to GM and am trying to ease my and my wife's mind.

I currently have a 2014 RAM 1500 Sport with 2WD with the 5.7L Hemi. We absolutely love the truck. It's never failed me and looks good to boot.

However, I recently made the business decision to switch GMCs and I have been looking at a Sierra AT4 6.2L. I'm trying to convince myself, and my wife, that it will ride at least as good as what I have. I'm not a huge fan of the look of the new RAM even though it is full of goodies. I understand that the Denali is going to have the best ride, but it's just got too much chrome for my taste.

So my question to the people that have gone the same path, or at least has experience with both, what am are my trade-offs, if any?

Two questions:

1st: Which brand (if any) would you be 100% confident in buying?

2nd: Most importantly, which brand will keep your wife happier if problems occur? Women never like to tell you "told you so".

Sounds like you had good luck with Ram, why jump ship?

I personally think the GM products are the way to go, but I am also biased.

If ride i important, get wheels/tires with taller sidewalls, no matter what brand you pick.

In the GM world, the sizes available all have the same outside diameter -- so not speedo calibration required for the 'factory' sizes.

This means that when the rim diameter gets bigger the sidewall gets shorter.

Same is in the sporting car world, shorter sidewalls will be stiffer, and give a harsher ride.  

17 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Two questions:

2nd: Most importantly, which brand will keep your wife happier if problems occur? Women never like to tell you "told you so".

2nd: Women never like to tell "told you so"  Wow!  Your experience with women has been a lot better than mine if that's the case! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, JimCost2014 said:

Two questions:

I feel that all brands have their pluses and minuses. They will all have problems, but the service you receive determines if you get soured on the brand or not. 

Bias aside, I like the GM dealer here better than the RAM dealership. 

Im leaving RAM primarily as a business decision. The large multi-brand dealership is making it worth my while to switch. 

• Like 1

Coming from three Rams in a row,just bought a Sierra SLT last week, no regrets at all love the new ride. 

Have to say in my opinion the ram had a smoother rear suspension.But on the other hand you can load heavier in the gmc without the rear sagging as much as the ram.

If you are looking for same power as the Hemi, go with the 6.2l.The 5.3l is not as powerful as the Hemi.

Edited by rmkmb